One of 7 email accts getting error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

One of 7 email accts getting error

Post by bbqbrisket »

On one of my accounts, sending out an email is not working; receiving messages is working.
I have deleted the account, re added, and was "successful" in Oauth2. But when I send a message the error code comes up and says the "authentication" was "unsuccessful"

The error code is as follows:

Thanks for the help.
unsuccessful oauth2.JPG
Edited screen-shot to remove Email Name to protect privacy
Edited screen-shot to remove Email Name to protect privacy
Last edited by mjs on Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for privacy (Email Name redacted)
mjs

Re: One of 7 email accts getting error

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket - just a word of caution; please protect your privacy by remembering to not include any personal information in posted screen-shots (your Email Name has been redacted).

Is this your Hotmail Account that you posted on back in October of last year - with topic heading: Oauth2 issues.

For the time being (in order to be able to send for now) you could try using "Password" Authentication instead of "Oauth2" in as much as "Oauth2" is not required for Outlook.com accounts (as suggested by Jeff at the time in that topic).
The above can be accomplished by editing the account and selecting the "Password" option instead of "Oauth2" (in the "Oauth2" drop-down located adjacent to "Login name") and then entering your password (used to login on the web) in the Password prompt for this POP Peeper account.

What protocol are you using for the problem Outlook.com account (i.e. IMAP, POP3)?

What are your protocol Server settings (i.e. your incoming and most importantly outgoing [Send Mail] "Server Settings")?

Jeff will probably be posting additional comments at some point later on regarding this issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

No, this is a different problem altogether.
I'm using IMAP and Smtp (Smtp.office365.com) Start TTLS port 587

Something else I saw was that all my Oauth2 settings apparently got converted back to passwords.
I don't understand how that can be done automatically. However, all the other accounts work ok.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

TEMPORARY SOLUTION
It looks like Outlook's SMTP server has an issue with Oauth2 at the moment. It's probably temporary, so you can either wait it out or you can switch POP Peeper to use the password method instead of Oauth2:
1) Edit the account in POP Peeper
2) To the right of your "Login name", change the selection to "Password"
3) Make sure that you have the correct password entered
4) Press "Update" to save and then you should be able to send any queued messages (press "Check Mail")
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

bbqbrisket wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:02 pm Something else I saw was that all my Oauth2 settings apparently got converted back to passwords.
I think that can happen if you reset Oauth2 but then is aborted one way or another (you cancel it, it fails, etc.). Oauth2 is reset as soon as you select "Oauth2" and then say "yes" to the prompt (ie. at that point, the existing Oauth2 data is cleared).
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

HI,
Yes, back to password worked.
thanks for info and security info.