some maills from GMail not showing

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lian

some maills from GMail not showing

Post by lian »

Hello, I meet a quite strange problem recently. Some mails sont to my GMail address are not "showing" in Poppeeper. I have a blog and all comments generate a mail sent to the GMail. They show in GMail but not in Poppeeper. There is no chance I marked them as Junk (they are coming from my site !) and I don’t find them in Junk list or Deleted list. Maybe I forgot to check something.
Windows 10 64 bits
mjs

Re: some maills from GMail not showing

Post by mjs »

First thing you can do is to check if the number of messages might be restricted. You can do this by going to "Tools">"Options...">"Message Retrieval" page to see if the "max number of messages to retrieve" value is a number (as opposed to "0" - with "0" there is no limit to the number of messages) then you are limiting the number of message that can be retrieved. There is also an account specific "max number of messages..." setting that you can take a look at by editing the account and selecting the "Advanced" page the "Max number of messages to retrieve" setting per the specific account is at the bottom of the Interface (Note: if the "Advanced" page option is not listed you will need to enable "Advanced options" under Main Menu: Tools / Options / General).

If the above doesn't help, it's possible the messages you expect to see are "hidden" messages (i.e. filtered for various reasons).

The "Messages" option in the Main Menu displays various filter settings that can limit the messages that get displayed. If "Hidden" is enabled (checked), try disabling this setting to see if any messages you expect to see show up. Otherwise you can temporarily disable "Enable display filters..." in that same "Messages" option (read the prompt you get doing this to explain what this does) to see if this helps get you the messages you're expecting to see in your Inbox (be sure to reverse this specific "Enable display filters..." setting back to enabled [checked] the way it was after you are done checking on this).

Let us know if any of this helps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
lian

Post by lian »

Thanks a lot. I’ve checked all these settings without any result. And your message was not shown in Poppeeper :roll:
Windows 10 64 bits
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If the messages aren't shown with Filters disabled, then check:

1) Are you viewing a specific account? Check that the "View" dropdown is set correctly

2) Are you using any filters in PP that would delete the message?

3) Does the account report any errors?

4) What protocol are you using in PP to access the account?

5) Do any messages show in PP for that account?
lian

Post by lian »

I did not answer quickly because I wanted to test if the problem occurs again. For the moment, it seems fixed. I changed connexion from oAuthor to password then back again to oAuthor.
Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:53 pm If the messages aren't shown with Filters disabled, then check:

1) Are you viewing a specific account? Check that the "View" dropdown is set correctly
In global view and specific Gmail account
2) Are you using any filters in PP that would delete the message?
Yes, spam filters.
3) Does the account report any errors?
No
4) What protocol are you using in PP to access the account?
Pop
5) Do any messages show in PP for that account?
Yes, some are showing. Not all.
Windows 10 64 bits
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I assume you know the gotchas with Gmail and POP3 -- That Gmail defaults to deleting messages retrieved by POP3?
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper/faq/?q=GMailPop3
lian

Post by lian »

Jeff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:51 pm I assume you know the gotchas with Gmail and POP3 -- That Gmail defaults to deleting messages retrieved by POP3?
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper/faq/?q=GMailPop3
Thanks for the tip. I have changed the settings regarding the documentation.
Windows 10 64 bits