Showing UNread when everything is read

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
fred9876

Showing UNread when everything is read

Post by fred9876 »

I had been using PP for many years unregistered with out any problem, A few months ago I purchased it and shortly there after had a problem with 2 of my gmail accounts showing a couple unread messages even when I marked everything as read. I cant see anything thats unread. Now I have had the same issue on 3 accounts for the last few weeks but I cant get them to clear the unread status even if I mark everything as read in gmail (which shows no unread). - it always show the same number of unread after making everything as read, 2 in one account and 6 in 2 other accounts.
Any suggestions?
mjs

Re: Showing UNread when everything is read

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum fred9876,

Are all of your accounts Gmail?

What protocol ("Server Type") are you using? (IMAP, POP3)

What O.S. (computer) are you using?

Have you tried rebooting your computer?

Please clarify what you mean by quote: "I cant see anything thats unread."? (where exactly is it that "you can't see anything..."?)

Do you mean by "even when I marked everything as read." - that you're reading the messages in POP Peeper or are you manually marking the message(s) as "read"? -- please provide more details.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
fred9876

Post by fred9876 »

Sorry for th elong delay getting back to this. Darn Vacations

Are all of your accounts Gmail?
YES

What protocol ("Server Type") are you using? (IMAP, POP3)
IMAP

What O.S. (computer) are you using?
Win 10 home V 10.0.19045

Have you tried rebooting your computer?
Daily

Please clarify what you mean by quote: "I cant see anything thats unread."? (where exactly is it that "you can't see anything..."?)
Do you mean by "even when I marked everything as read." - that you're reading the messages in POP Peeper or are you manually marking the message(s) as "read"? -- please provide more details.

in the right pane nothing in email list is bold or has an unopened envelope indicating something is unread however in the left pane in the unread column it shows unread messages, I can right click on the right pane and mark all as read and the left side still shows unread, I can go into which ever account in gmail and mark everything as read and refresh PP and still no change
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Here are a couple suggestions:

1) Under the main 'Messages' menu, disable "Enable display filters" -- this will show all messages in the list, regardless of whether they're hidden, junk, etc. See if you can find the messages now (note: messages in italics means they were marked as hidden).

The "Enable display filters" setting is meant to be temporary, so be sure to re-enable it.

2) If that doesn't find anything:

a) Take note of the TOTAL number of messages in the account(s) that have missing unread messages. If you don't have a "total" column (and don't want to add it), you can view that specific account and then refer to the "total" stat in the statusbar.

b) EXIT POP Peeper (main menu: File / Exit)

c) RESTART POP Peeper

d) Before POP Peeper checks for new mail, take note of the total number of messages for each account again and compare them with what you had before exiting/restarting. Are the total number messages less now (e.g. a difference of the number of missing unread messages)?
fred9876

Post by fred9876 »

Disabling "display filters" then marking all as read fixed it.
Thank You!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It may help for you to know why the messages were hidden in the first place, in case it happens again there's probably an easier way then to toggle display filters. As I mentioned, italics means the message was hidden; but if, for example, the message had a red background, it means the message was evaluated as Junk and the better method would be to press the "Junk View" button on toolbar and deal with it (if it's actually legit, mark the message as legit so that it's less likely to happen again in the future).