recent, delay on gmail message retrieval?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
efremk1

recent, delay on gmail message retrieval?

Post by efremk1 »

Hi-

For years, when opening a message from gmail in POP Peeper, it was completely retrieved immediately.

Recently (started about 1 week ago), it can take 5 seconds or more while the lower left hand status bar of the message displays Retrieving Message. I'm not downloading images or inline files, and this also happens when fetching text-only messages. It doesn't happen every time but I estmate at least 50% of the time. Also, I now receive the occasional Error Retrieving Message which resolves when I open the message again.

Non gmail accounts still are immediate as before with no issues.

This happened on v5.4.5 and still does on v5.4.6. Also, for years, I've limited the number of messages to retrieve to a max of 3000.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: recent, delay on gmail message retrieval?

Post by Jeff »

I haven't seen this personally. But there are some options you should take a look at:

1) Edit your gmail account(s) and make sure that you're using "IMAP" and that the "idle/push" option is enabled on the bottom-right. This setting can greatly improve response time of these types of actions (however, read my note below *)

2) By default, POP Peeper retrieves a preview of the message for IMAP, which is the message text only (not images, etc.). You can check this under:
main menu: Tools / Options / Message Retrieval
IMAP = Preview

3) On this same options page, there's an option called "webmail/imap: don't retrieve body for messages marked as read". This option is enabled by default. If this option affects you (ie. the messages that have this problem are already read), you can disable it. It's just a performance option.

* Error retrieving message -- this might indicate some connection issues between you and the server. If you're having connection issues, then it's possible that POP Peeper isn't able to remain connected to the server and that might be why you've noticed increased response-time issues lately. There are too many possibilities for why this might occur to go into detail, but some quick suggestions are: ISP connection, router/computer issues, server issues, you have too many google connections, etc.
efremk1

Post by efremk1 »

Hi, Jeff-
Thanks for the reply.

1)The gmail account IMAP idle/push settings are as specified.

2)Default retrieval options set to "Headers" for IMAP, Webmail, and POP3.

3)"Webmail/Imap: Don't retrieve body for messages marked as read on server" is enabled (the issue does occur on both read and unread messages).

*Error Retrieving Message .... I've pretty thoroughly ruled out connectivity issues both LAN and WAN, even specifically to gmail, via a variety of tests.

This has me puzzled. I really doubt it's a POP Peeper issue per se. No other IMAP email accounts are affected, none of my settings has changed, and this issue never occurred until a week ago. I do periodically exit and relaunch POP Peeper, and the data.db files are not overly large. It's far more likely that Google changed something server-side, but I haven't seen this reported before.

I've been fetching mail from the same number of accounts for a long time, so nothing's changed there either in terms of demand. I suppose for more troubleshooting I could add a different gmail account to POP Peeper and see if the same intermittent issues occur.

I'll report back if I find anything relevant.

Thanks again
mjs

Post by mjs »

What is your "Connection Type" setting under (main menu) - Tools/Options/Connection.
My setting
My setting
'Connection Type' setting.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
efremk1

Post by efremk1 »

Thanks. It has not changed in years.
Again, nothing in my POP Peeper configuration has changed from what's worked fine for a long time; it's just the one gmail account that recently started to experience. Fyi, this is just a non-scientific observation, but the delays may be lessening, which would further point to it being a gmail platform problem. Will update post if/when I learn more.
Attachments
poppeeper_01.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, I agree it's very likely a gmail issue and will probably go away on its own eventually.

I would highly recommend using "Preview" for IMAP as it would avoid this issue; although you might still get the error if the message contained attachments that you wanted to retrieve.

There might be very limited cases where "headers" is preferred over "preview" (but that's usually if you don't use POP Peeper to read any messages), so I'd be interested in knowing why you prefer headers.
efremk1

Post by efremk1 »

I hadn't really thought about Preview vs Headers---or at least not for a long time, since when I first configured the defaults.

I suppose at the time I was assuming that Headers would minimize total download quantities, and I might also have been feeling swamped with spam across multiple accounts, and very likely to delete a high percentage of incoming mail based on subject without even opening the messages.

In any event, now I realize that this can be set per account as well as globally. As per your suggestion, I'll try Preview. Will let you know if it changes my user experience. The Error Retrieving Message message was far less frequent and less annoying than the Retrieving Message delays anyway.

Thanks