Outlook / Hotmail Account Issues

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Outlook / Hotmail Account Issues

Post by Jeff »

Personally, I prefer to use an authenticator app instead of email/sms verification. It's generally easier overall. But if you use email verification, then I think it kind of makes sense not to use circular verification on 2 accounts (not to say I haven't probably done the same). I'd probably suggest using a singular account for all verification codes and one that doesn't require such verifications itself; unfortunately, those kinds of email accounts are harder to come by these days.
mjs

Re: Outlook / Hotmail Account Issues

Post by mjs »

There are a lot of people that don't have more than one account, but if they do they might have just two (I used one MS and one Yahoo for years and if the "code" approach was used back then (I'd guess back in the 90's or there about) the same problem would exist if both accounts needed a code to access each account. Of course it's just MS that's obsessing on "code" however. :lol:

That said, let's say a person has just two accounts and they're both MS accounts - and MS wants an alternative address for each (as they do). In this case, (absent creating more accounts just to have alternate accounts that do not reflect back to each other) the user would be using each of the two accounts as the alternate of the other. (and a resolution to this problem being to open another account seems troubling to me).

And then there's (the other scenario, having nothing to do with this alternate accounts issue referring back to one another but rather just the concept of using alternate accounts in the first place if every account that the user attempts to login to needs a code to be confirmed; hence none of the accounts can be logged into.)
Scenario A) a never ending string of more accounts and more accounts (alternate after alternate) needing codes for the next account that needs to be confirmed hence ultimately "dead-in-the-water" as a result of this "catch-22" scenario.

Which if the reason the "code" is needed is because an unfamiliar device is being used and if so then that device would necessarily be "unfamiliar" to every account - hence all accounts would need a "code" thus you have the "catch-22" scenario referenced above.

As mentioned, I still contend that MS did not do a very good job of thinking this approach of theirs out....
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers