1 of 5 gmail accounts doesn't work

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
nima_amin

1 of 5 gmail accounts doesn't work

Post by nima_amin »

Hello, I have set up 5 gmail accounts yesterday - all having 2FA with SMS, nothing else, and having their specific app passwords. I don't want to use this OAuth thing, so please don't tell me to use this instead.
After setup yesterday everything worked, but today for one I got an authentication error thing. I have deleted it and added it anew - authentication error right away. I have deleted permittance for Pop Peeper in Google account (websurface) and added it anew to Pop Peeper, same. I can't get it to work. Any idea what that is? Why does it still work with 4 accounts and not with the 5th? Do I need to create a new app password, because maybe Google thinks the one used yesterday now "burnt", and if so where has Google now hidden where to create it, I can't find it any more.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: 1 of 5 gmail accounts doesn't work

Post by Jeff »

What is the specific error that is reported? Gmail sometimes gives a hint in the error.

Otherwise, yes, I would suggest just making another app-specific password. Google won't allow you to see old app-passwords, but I would recommend deleting the old one.
mjs

Post by mjs »

nima_amin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:15 pm ... where has Google now hidden where to create it, I can't find it any more.
They no longer have good instructions for this - follow the steps below to create a new AppPassword for POP Peeper:
PIC-1.png
PIC-2.png
You can click on images to enlarge to better read (use browser back-arrow to return to forum topic)
You can click on images to enlarge to better read (use browser back-arrow to return to forum topic)
Note: you can delete the current AppPassword for POP Peeper on this same "Security" page as illustrated below (before generating the new POP Peeper AppPassword by following the steps as described in the above screen-shot)
This is where the current POP Peeper AppPassword can be deleted (by scrolling further down the "Security" page). Use your newly generated AppPassword in POP Peeper (the AppPassword is only for POP Peeper, not logging into the account on the web of which you will continue to use the password you have always used logging in on-line)
This is where the current POP Peeper AppPassword can be deleted (by scrolling further down the "Security" page). Use your newly generated AppPassword in POP Peeper (the AppPassword is only for POP Peeper, not logging into the account on the web of which you will continue to use the password you have always used logging in on-line)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

Thank you, it seems that deleting the app password, adding a new one and then adding the account anew to PP did the trick - let's see whether it still works tomorrow.

Meanwhile one of my AOL accounts is acting up:
Set up as POP account with app password as I need only to see the headlines, it shows suddenly all messages in the inbox which are unopened, as "not on the server" (red cross in front of them), as if I had moved them out of the inbox into folders (which I haven't). I panicked fearing my mails lost and my mailbox empty, so logged in on the web surface - all messages are still unread in the inbox. So they ARE on the server and should be found by PP. My login caused two new mails to be generated by AOL (the usual unknown device login warnings, which I could ignore as it was me who logged in, so they are still new and untouched). When I now check this account with PP these new mails are not retrieved at all. There are no login errors given by PP. It seems that PP CAN login but doesn't retrieve anything any more from that particular account.
nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:28 pm What is the specific error that is reported? Gmail sometimes gives a hint in the error.

Otherwise, yes, I would suggest just making another app-specific password. Google won't allow you to see old app-passwords, but I would recommend deleting the old one.
If it happens again I'll make a screenshot. There was nothing I could understand apart from authentication error / failed and then a lot of characters and / or cifres, if I remember right.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Re: AOL

If you're not removing non-existent messages, you may want to see if there are duplicate messages (ie. some with a red-X and the same message without). Sometimes email servers will change the UID (Unique ID) of the existing messages and this can cause that problem, so PP will keep the old message for the now non-existent UID and there will also be a copy of the message with the new/current UID.

As long as the messages are still on the server, what I would do is just remove all your messages from the account (right-click on the account and select "remove messages from list") and then do a checkmail.
Francis17

Post by Francis17 »

mjs wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:47 pmfollow the steps below to create a new AppPassword
Thank you! This guide of annotated screenshots for managing the Ggl account is terrific :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're very welcome, and thank you! - for taking the time to search the forum to find it. :mrgreen:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers