Hotmail continuous errors

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
captqbec

Hotmail continuous errors

Post by captqbec »

Hi, been getting non-stop errors that seem to fix themselves when I login via Hotmail website but errors reappear when I reopen using Poppeeper.
Am I the only one?
mjs

Re: Hotmail continuous errors

Post by mjs »

To answer your question - it would appear you are the "only one" in as much as no one else is reporting similar issues.

Please always post the errors when ever you get them in PP (to give us more detailed information) --- you should see a yellow '!' button on the bottom-right of the main window (when errors occur) -- press that yellow button and then press the 'Copy' button and paste the information here in this topic in your reply and please be sure to remove personal (private) information in the Error, such as the account name.

That said, if the errors you have been getting are "Oauth2" errors then you have the option to use the "password" method instead of "Oauth2" -- see Outlook SMTP Oauth2 error for details (specific to "Hotmail", i.e. "Outlook.com", accounts). Using this alternative option should resolve persistent "Oauth2" errors.

Note: You can attempt to re-authorize (especially if you haven't done so already) but when an account continues to persistently return "Oauth2" errors, regardless, then the best solution is to go with the "Password" option referenced above.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

Hi, thx for reply...here is the error log.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.4.6.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.23
IMAP: 5.4.6.0
SendMail: 5.4.6.0
Profile Picture: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
Trusted Sites: 5.4.6.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.4.6.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Ini file: C:\Users\razer\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data folder: D:\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
c******c Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Login Error (LOGIN failed.) -- Edit account: pp://EditAccount?Y2FwdHFiZWMgSG90bWFpbA==
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

But it fixes itself on second attempts until I close and reopen Poppeer....and then does the same circus lol...
mjs

Post by mjs »

You can try resetting "Oauth2" - but if that doesn't help then try using the alternative "Password" method (check out the link posted previously, in my first post, that provides more detail regarding the "Password" option).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you recently changed your "Data" folder path?

Just noticed this regarding your "Data" path (in your "Error Overview" post, besides that it appears you're not using "Oauth2"):
Ini file: C:\Users\razer\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data folder: D:\POP Peeper\

I ask because -
The "normal" convention is (what I have):
Ini file: C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.inx
Data folder: C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you've been previously using this "Data" path (that was posted in the "Error Overview" data) without any issues (i.e. it's not a recent change, that would correspond to the current issue) -- then I don't know. All I can think to advise you, is to try the "Password" option.

Jeff should be looking at this some time this morning...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Oauth isn't currently enabled, indicated in the log: "[oauth: 0]". You can try enabling Oauth2 (edit account in PP, change "password" to "Oauth2" next to your login name), but I can tell you that I get several errors on my Hotmail accounts each day (using oauth2), and they always clear up on the next mail check, so it probably won't help.

I have 2 hotmail accounts and they almost always fail together, with an error something like, "There was a problem connecting to the Oauth2 server" -- this is an Outlook server-side issue, so nothing that PP can do about it. I personally wouldn't notice these errors except that I have PP on very sensitive settings (and is likely why most people don't see them).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:09 pm Oauth isn't currently enabled, indicated in the log: "[oauth: 0]". You can try enabling Oauth2...
Yea, I had mentioned that too (referenced a couple of my posts back and had mentioned previous to that, an Oauth2 reset could be tried), but pointed out as well that if errors persist (which appears to be the case) then the "Password" option is presumably the best available solution.

So please be sure to let us know how you progress captqbec.
captqbec

Post by captqbec »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:09 pm Oauth isn't currently enabled, indicated in the log: "[oauth: 0]". You can try enabling Oauth2 (edit account in PP, change "password" to "Oauth2" next to your login name), but I can tell you that I get several errors on my Hotmail accounts each day (using oauth2), and they always clear up on the next mail check, so it probably won't help.

I have 2 hotmail accounts and they almost always fail together, with an error something like, "There was a problem connecting to the Oauth2 server" -- this is an Outlook server-side issue, so nothing that PP can do about it. I personally wouldn't notice these errors except that I have PP on very sensitive settings (and is likely why most people don't see them).
Ya, Hotmail and Live and all that Microshaft bs has become flaky. All my path settings been the same. And ya, multiple errors and they clear up by themselves. At the end of day, Microsoft mail is not reliable. Long live Gmail, Yahoo.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I received a few more reports of this over the weekend, so it does look like there had been more errors than normal. I do wonder if password method had started having more issues as I still hadn't seen any more than usual using Oauth2 (which was probably 5+/day). But -- and I hate to jinx it -- I haven't had any errors today (still using Oauth2).

If you were having recent issues with Hotmail, have you noticed any errors as of today?
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:23 pm I received a few more reports of this over the weekend, so it does look like there had been more errors than normal. I do wonder if password method had started having more issues as I still hadn't seen any more than usual using Oauth2 (which was probably 5+/day). But -- and I hate to jinx it -- I haven't had any errors today (still using Oauth2).

If you were having recent issues with Hotmail, have you noticed any errors as of today?
Hi Jeff.

I've been seeing the same errors for the past week as well. They're continuing today, and throughout this period they seem to be with accounts using password rather than Oauth2... or at least far more prevalent with password accounts.

They always clear up after a couple of log-in attempts, and seemed to be far less frequent yesterday, but are back with a vengeance today! :shock:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I got my first set of errors for the day moments after your post. So it was clearly you and not my own post that jinxed it :mrgreen:

For confirmation that this does seem to be an Outlook-side issue:
https://downdetector.com/status/microsoft-365/

The top now says "possible problems" (a few minutes ago it was reporting none, clearly not reflective of the graph). And there are comments from users that confirm it's been down since last week.
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:04 pm I got my first set of errors for the day moments after your post. So it was clearly you and not my own post that jinxed it :mrgreen:

For confirmation that this does seem to be an Outlook-side issue:
https://downdetector.com/status/microsoft-365/

The top now says "possible problems" (a few minutes ago it was reporting none, clearly not reflective of the graph). And there are comments from users that confirm it's been down since last week.
I take full responsibility for the jinx! #-o :lol:
efremk1

Post by efremk1 »

Just want to add that I've been receiving the same errors, intermittently, since around the time this thread started.

I see the errors not only on hotmail.com and outlook.com accounts, but also (much less frequently) on aol.com and yahoo.com accounts.

Other email providers, including my own Exim server, all are error-free.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've also been seeing recent errors on my one AIM (AOL) account. I have one Yahoo account, but I have not seen any errors on it, even though AOL and Yahoo are basically the same now. The AOL error I've been seeing is:
[SERVERBUG] SELECT Server error - Please try again later
As that error suggests, it is a server-side bug.

If you're interested in knowing when the last error occurred for an account, you can right-click on the account and select "Server info". If you don't see "Server info":
main menu: Tools / Options / General; enable: "Advanced Options" (top-right)
efremk1

Post by efremk1 »

Yes, that's the same AOL error that I've been seeing.

Is it possible that someone's un-jinxed us? :wink: No hotmail.com or outlook.com errors here for at least 3-4 hours.

Thanks for the "Server info" tip!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My last AOL error was almost 24 hours ago. Knock on wood.
I've had one (set of) Hotmail errors today, about 2 hours ago.

Regarding Hotmail -- someone did tell me that they seemed to get fewer to no errors using Oauth2, so if you're still getting errors and using the password method, you might try switching to Oauth2 (edit the account and change "password" to "Oauth2" next to your login name). Just keep in mind that Hotmail has not had a great track record with their Oauth2 service either, but this provides another method to try when one fails.