Separate button to delete emails from the server.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
teksik

Separate button to delete emails from the server.

Post by teksik »

Hello,
There could be a separate button to delete emails from the server.
It happened to me several times that I deleted emails and just wanted to download new ones.

Regards
mjs

Re: Separate button to delete emails from the server.

Post by mjs »

Comments removed (to avoid confusion).
Last edited by mjs on Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted comments
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

teksik -- If I understand correctly, you want to be able to check mail without deleting any messages that have already been marked for delete. Is that correct?

That's fundamentally how POP Peeper has always worked. Can you provide a scenario where this would be used?
teksik

Post by teksik »

Thank you for your answer.

Exactly, Jeff. I use POP3.

I have deleted emails by mistake several times. I marked the mail for deletion, but in the meantime I wanted to download a new one and unfortunately I deleted the marked mail after clicking on check mail.

The "Delete" button only selects the email for deletion but does not delete it.
Have I set something wrong? I downloaded the portable version 5.4.6.

Regards
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

By default, the delete button marks the message for delete and will be deleted on the next mail check.

I've been thinking about your suggestion, and I'm not sure that it adds much value as far as POP Peeper is concerned. It would actually take quite a bit of reworking to support it properly (ie. there would have to be a new way to tell PP to delete), and I'm not sure that this would be useful to a lot of people.

What you might consider doing is if you don't want to actually delete the message, mark the message some other way; e.g. a user flag (there is a trash can). Then when you want to delete, you can delete all the icons with a trashcan*. If you sort by the "user flag" column it will group similar flags together.

* - When user flags were first added, I had the idea that an action could be performed based on the flag (specifically, an action to delete messages with the trashcan icon). That capability doesn't currently exist, but maybe some day.
teksik

Post by teksik »

That's exactly what I meant. Maybe someday... ;)

Regards