5.5 not playing nicely with Norton

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
maxsverdlove

5.5 not playing nicely with Norton

Post by maxsverdlove »

Hey Jeff, long time no chat!

I updated to 5.5 a few days ago, but this is the first time I attempted to save an attachment from an email to a directory on my computer since the update.

After clicking Save as... I navigated to the directory and then clicked Save. Immediately, the attached Norton dialog popped up.

It did in fact save the files properly.

I've been able to repeat the issue, so it's not a one-time thing.

Just figured you should be aware of the Norton warnings...
Attachments
2024-05-01_12-50-36.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: 5.5 not playing nicely with Norton

Post by Jeff »

Norton's "Data protector" seems to be wreaking havoc in this version for some reason. I've had several reports from people not even being able to install this version -- Did you install v5.5 via auto-update (which would explain why you may have avoided that issue)?

I don't suppose that the "Target" file (in C:\ProgramData\...) would be the file attachment that you were trying to save? I have similar folder structure on my system (not named exactly the same), but I get a "no permission" if I try to go into it. I can assure you that PP itself is not trying to access that file.

I had come across this article last night (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/ ... king-error) in which someone says, "Data Protector may object to temp files created by program installs/updates. Data Protector may object to unsigned temp files created by software installs/updates." -- what types of files were you trying to save (e.g. exe, txt, png, etc.).

I did submit the installer last night to Norton, and the status is still pending; I'm not sure if this will extend to the program files or not.
maxsverdlove

Post by maxsverdlove »

I did use the auto-update function. I haven't updated my other computer, though... it's with my father right now, so I can't attempt to do so.

I was saving a PDF to a Cryptomator vault directory that's mapped to a virtual drive at "S:".

It's letting me go to the directory in ProgramData... I zipped up the Report.wer file and attach it... opening it in notepad doesn't reveal anything that looks like it has to do with PP....

This is an oddball case... clearly looks like a false positive finding...
Attachments
Report.zip
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

yeah, these files have nothing to do with PP -- they're crash reports saved by Windows. The advantage of you zipping that file up, though, is that it allowed me to see the timestamp of when that particular crash occurred -- 12:44p, which just happens to be the same timestamp in your first screenshot.

My theory -- Norton, while scanning the attachments that were saved through PP, caused the explorer.exe crash and decided that this was poppeeper.exe trying to create crash logs.

PDF files might be a kind of protected file (ie. I think they can be signed, but not using the same technology that PP uses for code-signing) and that could be why there was a problem, as per the quoted reference in my previous post.

Could you try saving a "safer" type of file and see if it has the same issue (txt, png, jpg)? If you don't have an existing one, just send one to yourself; and if you're feeling really adventurous, include a different pdf file in the same message and see if the txt/png/jpg saves without incident vs the pdf.
maxsverdlove

Post by maxsverdlove »

JPG did the same thing... but I don't think that Explorer crashed... but it's clearly creating a crash report.....
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I may have a new theory -- when you save the attachment(s), I assume you have the option enabled to "open folder after save"? Could you try disabling that option when you save and see if Norton still has an issue?

And for another related experiment (assuming that the above does *not* cause an issue), could you disable Norton temporarily (if that's even possible) and then save an attachment *WITH* "open folder after save" and then (assuming you did not get a norton warning since it should be disabled) check to see if there is a new appcrash_explorer.exe report in that folder? Basically, I want to know if PP really is causing that crash or if it's a byproduct of Norton. ftr, I've tested saving an image with "open folder" and it does not create a crash report (without Norton installed).