Pubbox new email service

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
war1

Pubbox new email service

Post by war1 »

There is a new email service, Pubbox, from Germany.
http://www.pubbox.net/

100 MB storage, more if you meet some requirements.
Webmail, POP3, IMAP, and SMTP access.
Trainable spam filters
Service has been stable. Good support.
Warren
Moderator of POP Peeper Email Forum
JRF

Post by JRF »

Hi war1 , you always coming with good news !

Pubbox presentation page really offers a lot .

But I was in doubt when decided to glance trough Members-area (I suppose it is a FAQ or Forum) , and Opera gave me the msgs bellow .

Just FYI . They are probably OK .

"The root certificate from "pubbox.net" is not known to Opera (the signer of the certificate is not found in the list of authorities) . Opera cannot decide if this certificate can be trusted. Other details :
Certificate name AND Issuer :
pubbox.net = Courier Mail Server
Automatically-generated IMAP SSL key
Karlsruhe, NY, US
emailAddress: postmaster@pubbox.net "
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
war1

Post by war1 »

The Members area is an https page. I just a Do you want to accept this certificate in Firefox the first time. Once I accept it, I go to that page directly without prompting.
Warren
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to be thorough, I get the same warning in IE7.

It looks like a software developer designed their homepage. I like it :)
DaComboMan

Re: Pubbox new email service

Post by DaComboMan »

war1 wrote:There is a new email service, Pubbox, from Germany.
http://www.pubbox.net/

100 MB storage, more if you meet some requirements.
Webmail, POP3, IMAP, and SMTP access.
Trainable spam filters
Service has been stable. Good support.
Registered just yesterday War17.
This stuff is very technical.
Is there a simple way to get the "spam" feature going so that we can eventually get that extra Gig?

Thanks!
war1

Post by war1 »

Move the good emails to ham-learn. Within a few minutes the email gets move back to Inbox.

Move the spam to spam-learn.

It is as simple as that. My problem is that I have not had spam in my new account, and I do not want to introduce spam into my account. So I have not spam to move.
Warren
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Hmm. I can't get Pubbox to work in PopPeeper. I get an "unknown host" error. I just imported the account from my mail client, where it works fine. I'm new around here so i've probably messed something up. Keep up the great work.

BTW, Pubbox doesn't have POP3 access as far as I can see.
war1

Post by war1 »

ChrisO,

Welcome to the Pop Peeper forums. What version of Pop Peeper are you using? Are trying to access Pubbox with POP3 or IMAP?

If IMAP, login name is your username, not full address.
For server type, IMAP is selected. Use port 143.
Server is pubbox.net
Warren
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Thanks. I had those settings. All OK now. Think it must have been a problem at their end.
pubbox

Post by pubbox »

Hi there,

Hopefully, i am not disturbing you :)

The 1G ham/spam training rule serves two purposes:

1. identify "real" users
2. promote the spam-filter (which i am very proud of)

so don't worry. If you really use that box, you will get it in a matter of weeks. (2-4. if not -> just complain)

please note that the strength of the PUBBOX is not just being "lots of space", but being

a) intelligent. (spam-filter, mail-sorting)
b) a platform (flexible use, e.g. for your domain)

about the SSL certificate:

PUBBOX uses a self signed certificate. "Trusted" Certificates signed by "trust centers" cost lots of money per year and are not necessary.
This is not an online shop. People use a mailbox on
a regular base, it is therefore sufficient to install the certificate once.

The current certificate will expire in a few months. A new certificate layout will be made to hold for some years.

Armin
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

war1 wrote:Move the good emails to ham-learn. Within a few minutes the email gets move back to Inbox.

Move the spam to spam-learn.

It is as simple as that. My problem is that I have not had spam in my new account, and I do not want to introduce spam into my account. So I have not spam to move.
War1,

Sorry i missed your post. I must have forgotten to check the follow up box.
I use mostly Thunderbird and only see a "Junk" folder. Have tried to go online today and i do believe they are often "at work", just couldn't get in.
Alf

Post by Alf »

DaComboMan wrote:I use mostly Thunderbird and only see a "Junk" folder.
- Rightclick on the Post IN folder of the Pubbox account in the left window of Thunderbird.
- Choose 'Subscribe...' (I don't know for sure if this is the right English word; I translated it from Dutch.)
- Click the +-sign before the INBOX in the new opened window
- Select the folders you want to see in TB, etc.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Alf wrote:
DaComboMan wrote:I use mostly Thunderbird and only see a "Junk" folder.
- Rightclick on the Post IN folder of the Pubbox account in the left window of Thunderbird.
- Choose 'Subscribe...' (I don't know for sure if this is the right English word; I translated it from Dutch.)
- Click the +-sign before the INBOX in the new opened window
- Select the folders you want to see in TB, etc.
Found it! Thanks Alf.

Don't know why i couldn't see it before under "subscribe to folders" section. Anyway, this time i clicked on the account and then went to the "manage folder subsriptions" where it was all the time.
JRF

Post by JRF »

Hi , any of our members is using pubbox.net ? Comments about the service are welcome . JRF
--------------------
I am asking this due to the recent problems I had with Gawab (other topic), I think I am starting to agree with people from EMD that found the Gawab service not reliable .

So yesterday I decided to have a new look at pubbox home , and as trying to examine the registration page I found the URL contains (or is part of) the Gawab domain ... ???

Not possible , I am trying to escape from Gawab , and pubbox "is" Gawab ...

Btw , in the last hour I was unable to access pubbox (in order to pick the link mentioned above) , I keep receiving :

"The connection has timed out . The server at www.pubbox.net is taking too long to respond. * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy."
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

JRF wrote:Hi , any of our members is using pubbox.net ? Comments about the service are welcome . JRF
--------------------
I am asking this due to the recent problems I had with Gawab (other topic), I think I am starting to agree with people from EMD that found the Gawab service not reliable .

So yesterday I decided to have a new look at pubbox home , and as trying to examine the registration page I found the URL contains (or is part of) the Gawab domain ... ???

Not possible , I am trying to escape from Gawab , and pubbox "is" Gawab

Now that's a good one!
I'd like to know if this rumour is true.
Btw , in the last hour I was unable to access pubbox (in order to pick the link mentioned above) , I keep receiving :

"The connection has timed out . The server at www.pubbox.net is taking too long to respond. * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy."
Yeah, the site seems to be out of order for over two weeks now.
People who are registered can access their emails via Thunderbird and the like.
Alf

Post by Alf »

The website pubbox.net is down for several weeks.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthr ... ght=pubbox

IMAP access is working like a charm and is very stable the last couple of months. It was never the intention of pubbox to provide webmail functionality.

Problem for now is that new users can't register...
jaso

Pop3 address book

Post by jaso »

Hai
Is possible to access address book using pop3 connection
jado
Alf

Re: Pop3 address book

Post by Alf »

jaso wrote:Hai
Is possible to access address book using pop3 connection
I don't understand exactly what you want, but Pubbox supports IMAP only.
JRF

Post by JRF »

Hi DaComboMan and Alf thank you for your comments and explanations . I went through all the provided links (last post ~01mar2007) in the EMD forum .

1- I understood the registration (and also the pubbox-home) is not available (until Armin returns from vacation :lol: )

2- I never wanted to use pubbox as webmail , I was just looking for the descriptions and available features ...

3- I understand the pubbox IMAP service (plus Idle , per War17) works well with PP .

4- I do confirm I was able to get just one page from http://www.pubbox.net/ , on the date I mentioned , and after that I never could open it again .

That page contained :

-- Login / Password fields >> link1 (I did not try this one)
-- two columns of feature descriptions >> no links
-- a mention of 2 server names , I think they were pimap.pubbox.net and psmtp.pubbox.net
-- an icon to register >> link2 (see bellow)

5- I tried to open this registration link2 (timed out) , and I have an strong remembrance it contained the string gawab somewhere on it .

I will keep trying to open that page daily , to verify the link2 again .
war1

Post by war1 »

Just a warning to Pubbox users. The IMAP is still working perfect, but webmail is not accessible at all.

There are some rumors that the owner is deceased.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthr ... 023&page=2

So back up your data in case the rumor is true.
Warren