Pop Up Notification Not woriking ?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sportman12

Re: Pop Up Notification Not woriking ?

Post by sportman12 »

larkrsrool

--- QUESTION: What is it that you DO NOT WANT TO OCCUR as a result of disabling or "turning off" the "Notification Alert" feature of Windows 10 :?:

I do not want "Notification Skin working and at the exact same time Windows Notifications Alert" works
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If I understand correctly, you currently have both the "Skin notifier" AND "windows notification" (aka "tray icon balloon tip") displaying when you get new email. You only want one to display -- which is expected -- so you simply need to disable the one that you don't want.

If you want to disable the "windows notification":
- main menu: Tools / Options / Notification; disable "display tray icon balloon tip" at the very bottom

If you want to disable "skin notifier":
- main menu: Tools /Plugins; find and disable "Notification Skin"
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff Thanks I will try doing it both ways and let you know if every thing is working for me
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff I understand correctly, your directions below

If you want to disable the "windows notification":
- main menu: Tools / Options / Notification; disable "display tray icon balloon tip" at the very bottom

If you want to disable "skin notifier":
- main menu: Tools /Plugins; find and disable "Notification Skin"

Am having another issue with "windows notification it stops popping up after a certain amount of new messages come in is their a fix ?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm not aware of any such issue. I just performed an extensive test where I added 1 new message at a time (21 total new messaes), and the Windows notification prompt displayed every time. Then I added 100 new messages at once and it still came up; added another 100 new messages and it came up again.

Is there a reason that you're using the Windows Notification instead of the skin notifier? ie. is it just personal preference, even though it seems to be causing some issues?
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff just personal preference, trying both ways out "windows notification is not working at all after it had been can you take thru the steps to get it to work ?
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff did you see my post ?
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff are you using Windows 10 with "windows notification ?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I will give you a summary of the places you need to look, but you may need to go back through this thread for the details:

1) POP Peeper
main menu: Tools / Options
page: Notification
- Enable: Display tray icon balloon tip

2) Windows
In the start menu, type and open Notifications and actions
- Enable: Get notifications from apps and other senders
- In the list of "get notifications from these senders", find POP Peeper and make sure that it's "On"
- You may also need to modify it:
- Notifications = On
- Show notification banners = On
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff thanks I will update you with everything to see if every thing working I will follow your directions
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff did a full week using "windows notification works and after a time it dose not work when it worked it worked great pop up new messages comes worked when it did not it stop pops up after over 50 plus comes in pop up stops I tryed this in the screenshot unchecked on to off put it back on it worked only for few messages stopped popping up using Windows notification is their any fix for Windows notification feature ?
Attachments
POP PEEPER pu.PNG
POP PEEPER pu.PNG (8.15 KiB) Viewed 7363 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've done further research and this does appear to be a common problem with the Windows Action Center/Notification system. There are many reports of a similar problem occurring with Windows Mail. I should point out that it's most likely just coincidence that Windows Mail is the most commonly reported app -- there is nothing in the notification system that is different just because both apps happen to be "mail"-related.

So with that in mind, I will strongly recommend once again that you should use one of the other methods that POP Peeper provides that have similar behavior to the Action Center's notification system. Specifically, either the Skin Notifier or the Desktop Alert.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff please answer theses questions

1. using Windows Notification with Windows 10 dose not work good and is Inconsistent should not reinstall or nothing to do with Windows 10 update ?

2 I should use Skin Notifier or the Desktop Alert.cause it works better ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman12 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:35 pm Jeff please answer theses questions

1. using Windows Notification with Windows 10 dose not work good and is Inconsistent should not reinstall or nothing to do with Windows 10 update ?

2 I should use Skin Notifier or the Desktop Alert.cause it works better ?
Referring to the essential part of Jeff's post you replied to you should ONLY do the following:
Jeff wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:48 pm ....you should use.... either the Skin Notifier or the Desktop Alert.
... so because Jeff strongly recommends what he said above this is all you should do - so yes, you should please only do #2 in your post above "cause it works better" -- it's your choice which of these two message notifications you want to use..... absolutely nothing else is recommended.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool either Skin Notifier or the Desktop Alert. Can I please have a screenshot of both am not technical want to get it right
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman12 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm lakrsrool either Skin Notifier or the Desktop Alert. Can I please have a screenshot of both am not technical want to get it right
You should read back through this topic for answers to your questions.

I previously posted the following in this topic:

In regards to using or not using the skin notifier PLEASE click HERE (to return to this topic again just click on your browser return arrow) where your questions were answered as to how to both Turn-On and Turn-Off the Skin Notifier.

In regards to comparisons that were discussed PLEASE click HERE (to return to this topic again just click on your browser return arrow) where you will find screen-shot examples that you have requested and also find various ways to enable or disable (Turn-On or Turn-Off) the notifiers that are discussed.

For review the following is how to either Turn-On or Turn-Off these two message notifiers.

To Turn-On or Turn-Off the Skin Notifier you have already tested:
In POP Peeper main menu go to "Tools">"Plugin" to get to this setting.
In POP Peeper main menu go to "Tools">"Plugin" to get to this setting.
To Turn-On or Turn-Off the Desktop Alert (which in the past you have used):
In POP Peeper main menu to go "Tools">"Options">"Notifications" for this option.
In POP Peeper main menu to go "Tools">"Options">"Notifications" for this option.
Note: In either case when using these Notifiers you will probably want the Balloon Notification Turned-Off which is found in the POP Peeper main menu by going to "Tools">"Options">"Notifications" and making sure the "Tray icon balloon tip" option is UNCHECKED.

You should now have all the pertinent information you need to compare these two message notifiers. :wink: Please try them out to determine which of the two notifiers you prefer.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool you said when using these Notifiers you will probably want the Balloon Notification Turned-Off which is found in the POP Peeper main menu by going to "Tools">"Options">"Notifications" and making sure the "Tray icon balloon tip" option is UNCHECKED.

If I UNCHECKED.Balloon Notification in the screenshot Turned-Off will it pop up when new email comes in
Attachments
balloon pop up.PNG
balloon pop up.PNG (1.67 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
mjs

Post by mjs »

If unchecked the Balloon Tip Notification will NOT "POP-UP" when new messages arrive -- which is what you would probably want since you are comparing the Skin Notifier to the Desktop Alert notifier.

It has been the Balloon Tip notifier that you have apparently been having problems with and keep in mind the Balloon Tip notifer displays off of the tray icon just as the Skin Notifier does so these two notifiers (Skin Notifier and Balloon Tip Notifier) both display in the same location -- so you would only need the Skin Notifier in this case. Because you are comparing the Skin Notifier and the Desktop Alert you do not need the Balloon Tip to be enabled --- so unchecking the Balloon Tip Notifier is what would be recommended when using either the Skin Notifier and/or the Desktop Alert.

The "rule-of-thumb" is checking option boxes is what you do to enable (Turn-On) the Notifiers as contrasted to UnChecking the box in these cases which will disable (Turn-Off) the Notifiers. When "Turned-On" (enabled - box is CHECKED) they will display notifications (will POP-UP) -- when "Turned-Off" (disabled - box is UNCHECKED) they will NOT display notifications (not POP-UP).
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool »I apologize for not getting it If unchecked the Balloon Tip Notification will NOT "POP-UP" when new messages arrive -- which is what you would probably want since you are comparing the Skin Notifier to the Desktop Alert notifier.

I thought Skin Notifier pops up and using Desktop Alert notifier. pops up on the desktop when new mail comes in ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

POP Peeper has many ways to notify when new messages arrive (three of which are the following):
1) Desktop Alert
2) Balloon-Tip Alert
3) Skin Notifiers (optional methods of getting notifications instead of the Balloon-Tip Alert)

Each one of these three notifiers are either "Turned-Off" or "Turned-On" by checking the boxes or making the proper selection in the "Notification" settings window that I have illustrated previously in screen-shots on how to do this.

Because you ONLY want to compare two notifiers: 1) the Desktop Alert and 2) the Skin Notifier you installed you do NOT WANT the "Balloon Tip" alert to be enabled -- so you would want to "Turn-Off" the Balloon Tip Notifier in this case of just comparing these two other notifiers.

Each of the Notifiers can be either "Turned On" or "Turned Off" -- you do this by following the steps in the screen-shots you will see further up in this topic and also posted below as a reminder.

You can actually "Turn On" BOTH the Desktop Alert and the Skin Notifier at the same time so they will both POP-UP when new messages arrive and then compare which of the two you like the best (when making this comparison it makes sense to "Turn Off" the Balloon Tip because the Skin Notifier "replaces" the Balloon Tip notifier since they are BOTH POP Peeper Tray Icon Notifiers). Because they are BOTH Tray Icon Notifiers you would not want both to be "Turned On" at the same time -- so please just "Turn On" (which means doing what is illustrated in the screen-shots below) both the Desktop Alert - that is Select "Display Desktop Alert" from the drop-down and the Skin Notifier - check the "Notification Skin" plugin (as illustrated in the screen-shot below) and keep the the Balloon Tip Notifier "Turned Off".

Again just do the following (select "Display Desktop Alert" and make sure the "Display tray icon Balloon Tip" is unchecked):
Main Menu - go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Notification" to set this Desktop Alert option (note: select "- No Special Action -" to "Turn Off").
Main Menu - go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Notification" to set this Desktop Alert option (note: select "- No Special Action -" to "Turn Off").
Make sure "Notification Skin" plugin box is checked
Main Menu - go to "Tools" > "Plugins..." to set the Skin Notifier "ON" (check to use -- uncheck to not use)
Main Menu - go to "Tools" > "Plugins..." to set the Skin Notifier "ON" (check to use -- uncheck to not use)
which will "Turn On" both the Desktop Alert and the Skin Notifier you previously installed (Note: leave the Balloon Tip "Turned Off" [uchecked]). These two Alerts can be compared at the same time if you wish -- once you decide which of the two you prefer then you can "Turn Off" (disable) the one you do not like as much by either unchecking the "Notification Skin" plugin box to "Turn Off" the Skin Notifier or selecting "- No Special Action -" to "Turn Off" the Desktop Alert.

Again -- keep in mind that both the Skin Notifier plugin and the "Tray Icon Balloon Tip" get displayed from the POP Peeper TRAY ICON and since you will be testing the "Skin Notifier" you will NOT want the "Tray Icon Balloon Tip" to also be getting displayed from the same place that is you would not want both to be getting displayed from the POP Peeper Tray Icon.