Suggestions for mails with multiple addresses

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Buter

Suggestions for mails with multiple addresses

Post by Buter »

From time to time I receive mails with many addresses in To/Cc fields and I kinda miss these features:
1) Ability to view all the addresses in a separate listbox (there might be 30-40-50 addresses)
OR
Viewing all of the addresses in PP panel (line wrapping instead of cutting).
2) Option to add all addresses to address book at once.
3) Address book:
3.1) Filtering items in addition to search
3.2) Filtering and searching by match in the whole line not only in the beginning (e.g. find "john.doe@example.com" by typing "doe")
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Suggestions for mails with multiple addresses

Post by Jeff »

I can't say I've ever needed to do this (so I'm winging this), but if you "reply all" and then open the Address Book you should get the lists you seek.

The text entries aren't really cut, you can access the entire list by setting focus and scrolling using cursor keys. Or right-click and "select all" copy/paste to a text editor.

Adding *recipients* to the address book is an interesting idea. This, maybe, should wait until I enhance the address book a little, ie. with the concept of "groups" -- Groups are something I *really* want to add to the address book for purely personal reasons, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah, searching could probably be enhanced, too. Rather, filtering like you mentioned; I think the current search concept is ideal because it provides a really easy way to add an email address without too many clicks.
GlennS1956

Post by GlennS1956 »

Please do add the ability to create groups in the address book. I bought Pop Peeper because Windows Live Mail hogs my computer's resources and eventually makes it crash if I leave it on all the time. I really miss the ability to send emails to an entire group at once. I get around this problem now by adding a lower-case "z" to the beginning of each name in one group, which makes them collect at the bottom of the list. Then I use "shift-left click" to highlight them all. Then I start everyone's name in the second group with a "y", and so on.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The problem with your solution is that the recipients will also see that modification. That is, instead of
"Joe Smith" <jsmith@example.com>
the recipients will see
"z Joe Smith" <jsmith@example.com>

But, you brought this up at just the right time. I decided to implement a very simple, but usable, workaround to the current lack of official groups.

As of v4.1, if the email address contains multiple '@' characters, then the email address will be used as the sole source of the contact without additional formatting. "Huh?" ok, for example:

If you add this contact:
name: group 1
email: 1@example.com; 2@example.com

Then the result in v4.0 would be:
"group 1" <1@example.com; 2@example.com>
--> this is no good

But in v4.1, this same contact would result in:
1@example.com; 2@example.com

You could even include their names if you wanted to:
name: group 1
email: "joe" <1@example.com>; "jill" <2@example.com>

The downside of this, of course, is that you'd have to maintain the individual email addresses and the groups separately; e.g. if someone changes their email address, you'd have to update the individual email address and the email address in the group.

[Edit]: I should point out that in using this method, the individual contacts are not related to the groups. So if you don't have a need for an individual email address, it can exist only in a group and nowhere else.

This is only intended as a temporary solution, but I think it should get the job done until groups are officially added.
GlennS1956

Post by GlennS1956 »

Thanks. That will work for me just fine. Do you have any idea when v4.1 will be available?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, I don't try to guess at ETAs because it always ends up being later than I expect. In fact, a month ago I thought v4.1 would have been released by now, but I'm currently in the middle of coding a rather significant update which is delaying things again.

But you can download the v4.1 beta. To get the notification so that you can download it:
- From PP's main menu, select Tools / PPtweaker
- Select the "Troubleshooting" page
- Enable "include beta versions..."
- Press OK
-> Then, you can go to Help / About, press "Check version" and you should get a prompt for the beta

However, the current beta is v2 which does not yet have the change you're looking for. Beta03 will probably be available within 2-3 weeks, but it depends on how well internal testing goes.