After upgrade to V4.01 starting PP takes 45 seconds

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ohaaho

After upgrade to V4.01 starting PP takes 45 seconds

Post by ohaaho »

Congratulations to the work done. I am not sure that I need all the spam and white filters etc. However, what bores me is the slow start of PP since I upgraded. On my computer, I5 Intel processor with a SSD, it takes 45 seconds to get the mailing list. Since I haven't selected the option 'Run when starting Windows' for obvious reasons, I do start manually with the above mentioned delay.
Any other experiences? Thank you.
Last edited by ohaaho on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: After upgrade to V01.0 start takes 45 seconds

Post by Jeff »

hm, that does seem odd. In most cases, loading v4 should take about the same amount of time as v3. For comparison, do you have a guesstimate as to how long v3 took for you?

Do you exit/restart POP Peeper when needed, or do you leave it running? Not sure what the "obvious reasons" are -- because PP slows down the other processes loading...?

PP does include some performance metrics that shows the times that it takes for loading. This takes a few steps and it may be better that we continue discussing this via email so that it's easier for me to track. Please email me.
JoelG

Re: After upgrade to V4.01 starting PP takes 45 seconds

Post by JoelG »

I am experiencing the same, where loading time takes an incredible time loading. I am using 7200RPM hybrid laptop drives on 2 Windows 7 systems. 3.8.x took no time at all to load with GUI on the screen (seconds), while this one is cranking away for a while to start. My desktop system has a i7-3820 CPU with tiny overclock and 16GB PC1866 RAM takes about 50 seconds to start the program while my laptop is a i5-3210M with 6GB RAM takes about 3min to start the program. My times are me counting and while fully booted and otherwise idle. When I converted to v4.x I chose to not compress or encrypt the data just as the old format had (correct me if I'm mistaken) and my trial of the anti-junk/premium pack has ended. I also tried renaming the antijunk file hoping that might speed things up but didn't.

Thanks, it's a great product and I hope I'm helping to get it all figured out to load as fast as the wonderful 3.8.x version did.

-Joel
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: After upgrade to V4.01 starting PP takes 45 seconds

Post by Jeff »

The slow load times should be fixed in v4.1 -- at least it has for several people who have tested a fix.

If you're interested in testing it, drop me an email and I'll let you know when the first beta is ready, which should be later this week.