POPPeeper not open browser

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
WARFORCEONE

POPPeeper not open browser

Post by WARFORCEONE »

Hi,
POPPeeper not opened browser in click to link.
Please help.
Thanks.
--------------------------------
Opera 12.17 build 1863 x64
Win7 Pro sp1 x64
Sorry for the English, I'm from Slovakia.
I use Google Translator.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: POPPeeper not open browser

Post by Jeff »

Does this happen for all email or just some email (ie. from a certain sender)?

If it's for all links, make sure that the appropriate option is enabled under main menu: Tools / Pptweaker; Misc2 page: "Force POP Peeper to open links in your external browser" (this is enabled by default)
WARFORCEONE

Post by WARFORCEONE »

It's O.K.
Thank you very much.
Nice day.
=D>
Sorry for the English, I'm from Slovakia.
I use Google Translator.
olegausa

Post by olegausa »

I'm running Pop Peeper 4.10 beta 2 and PPTweaker settings above are set correctly but I discovered the following issue. My Hotmail account, which is set as IMAP gets emails from Amazon. If you click on the orange button or image then Firefox will open in a new tab as expected but if you click on blue text under the image it will be opened inside Pop Peeper. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Oleg
Mr. Hardware
mjs

Post by mjs »

olegausa wrote:I'm running Pop Peeper 4.10 beta 2 and PPTweaker settings above are set correctly but I discovered the following issue. My Hotmail account, which is set as IMAP gets emails from Amazon. If you click on the orange button or image then Firefox will open in a new tab as expected but if you click on blue text under the image it will be opened inside Pop Peeper. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Oleg
Try this, right-click on the "blue text" under the image and select "Copy". Using the windows Run Prompt: hold down WindowsKey+R, right-click in the "run box" and select "Paste" (you'll see the full URL in the "run box" and then press "enter" or "OK". What happened next? Does the URL link open in your browser or does this either do nothing at all or report an error?

If you get either nothing or an error then set your default web-browser in your browser settings which depending upon the browser the method will vary, i.e. since I use Firefox, in this case it is in: "Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab, SEE LINK for example.

Or you can set the default browser in your OS default settings i.e. for Windows 7, since I use WIN7: Click on "Start" > "Default Programs" > "Set your default programs" > Select the browser you want to use as a default and click "Select this program as default". Or alternatively type in "default" in the "Start search box" then Click on "Set your default programs" > Select the browser you want to use as a default and click "Select this program as default". How to LINK: Windows 7 Video on what programs windows uses by default
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
olegausa

Post by olegausa »

lakrsrool wrote:
olegausa wrote:I'm running Pop Peeper 4.10 beta 2 and PPTweaker settings above are set correctly but I discovered the following issue. My Hotmail account, which is set as IMAP gets emails from Amazon. If you click on the orange button or image then Firefox will open in a new tab as expected but if you click on blue text under the image it will be opened inside Pop Peeper. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Oleg
Try this, right-click on the "blue text" under the image and select "Copy". Using the windows Run Prompt: hold down WindowsKey+R, right-click in the "run box" and select "Paste" (you'll see the full URL in the "run box" and then press "enter" or "OK". What happened next? Does the URL link open in your browser or does this either do nothing at all or report an error?

If you get either nothing or an error then set your default web-browser in your browser settings which depending upon the browser the method will vary, i.e. since I use Firefox, in this case it is in: "Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab, SEE LINK for example.

Or you can set the default browser in your OS default settings i.e. for Windows 7, since I use WIN7: Click on "Start" > "Default Programs" > "Set your default programs" > Select the browser you want to use as a default and click "Select this program as default". Or alternatively type in "default" in the "Start search box" then Click on "Set your default programs" > Select the browser you want to use as a default and click "Select this program as default". How to LINK: Windows 7 Video on what programs windows uses by default
Thanks for reply and sorry for forgetting to mention that Firefox is my default browser and it's clearly stated in its options
I just tried your your suggestion but when I attempt to click copy nothing happens
Mr. Hardware
mjs

Post by mjs »

I was assuming since you were looking at Amazon emails in reference to the "blue text under the image" that the "blue text" were URL links. (clicking copy should save what I assumed was a URL to your clipboard that is not transparent to you as it's just saving this URL to be then "pasted" into the "run box" to see if it opens a webpage in your browser.

Never mind all that.....

Just try entering any full URL, for example use "http://www.esumsoft.com/" without the quote marks.

In other words when using the windows Run Prompt by holding down WindowsKey+R (windows key on you keyboard has the Windows icon on it, hold down this key at the same time with "R" key) you will get a run prompt window (see image below), then enter (type in): "http://www.esumsoft.com/" in the box next to where it says "Open:" (without the quote marks) just as you see below and then press "enter" or "OK" (refer to example image below).
Windowskey+R gets this then type in URL as shown and click "OK" button
Windowskey+R gets this then type in URL as shown and click "OK" button
So then what happened next? Does the URL open the Esumsoft web in your Firefox browser as it should or does this either do nothing at all or report an error?

You could try following these steps to assign the Windows OS default browser (assuming you're using Windows) by clicking on "Start" icon (windows icon in bottom left corner of desktop) and type in "Default Programs" then select "Set your default programs" (should be at or near top of the list) then in the next window (see image below with circled areas to select) select (click on) the FF browser you want to use as a default (in this case Firefox presumably) and then select (click) "Select this program as default" and click on "OK" button (bottom right).

See if this helps.
Select (click on) circled items and then click "OK" button.
Select (click on) circled items and then click "OK" button.
Btw, I'm curious about one question regarding what you've initially posted: what do you mean by the "orange button" that you say you click on to get a webpage in a new tab as expected? (very old Firefox browsers used to have an "orange button" but it had to do with menu items and had nothing to do with launching web pages, are there possibly "orange button's" on Amazon emails that you're referencing?)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
olegausa

Post by olegausa »

Thanks for your attempts to help. I tried to use Run command and it works as expected by opening a new Firefox tab with appropriate page
To answer your question about Amazon I mean that email contains some text and than a button Learn More below so clicking that button gives desired result
I also just find out that this problem isn't limited to emails from Amazon. My Gmail account (also set as IMAP) got message from Shavers.com with Shop Now button the only clickable spot and got the same problem the page opened inside Pop Peeper I also tried to set Firefox as default browser following the steps with images but it made no difference
Mr. Hardware
mjs

Post by mjs »

olegausa wrote:Thanks for your attempts to help. I tried to use Run command and it works as expected by opening a new Firefox tab with appropriate page
To answer your question about Amazon I mean that email contains some text and than a button Learn More below so clicking that button gives desired result
I also just find out that this problem isn't limited to emails from Amazon. My Gmail account (also set as IMAP) got message from Shavers.com with Shop Now button the only clickable spot and got the same problem the page opened inside Pop Peeper I also tried to set Firefox as default browser following the steps with images but it made no difference
Based on what you posted here:
olegausa wrote:I'm running Pop Peeper 4.10 beta 2 and PPTweaker settings above are set correctly....
I understand that you've got the correct PPTweaker settings but just to verify are your settings the same as the settings circled below in "Tools" > "PPTweaker" > "Misc 2".
Make sure you have the settings like what is circled above
Make sure you have the settings like what is circled above
olegausa

Post by olegausa »

lakrsrool wrote:
olegausa wrote:Thanks for your attempts to help. I tried to use Run command and it works as expected by opening a new Firefox tab with appropriate page
Based on what you posted here:
olegausa wrote:I'm running Pop Peeper 4.10 beta 2 and PPTweaker settings above are set correctly....
I understand that you've got the correct PPTweaker settings but just to verify are your settings the same as the settings circled below in "Tools" > "PPTweaker" > "Misc 2".
Misc 2 settings re browser used.png
Yes they are as shown on the picture, sorry if it wasn't clear
Mr. Hardware
mjs

Post by mjs »

Some older versions of Firefox have had issues in regards to launching pages in the default browser in the past but that was way back if I recall.

At this point (absent knowing what else to do and since you've posted above that the "Browser to launch URL's" setting is blank) there's one more thing you could try which is to force the browser to launch URL's in Firefox using the POP Peeper setting to do this (you should not have to do this if your default browser is set correctly however but this is something to help determine if there may be an issue regarding this or more specifically your browser).

Go to PP main menu: "Tools" > "PPtweaker" > "Misc 2" tab, click on the little blue button ("Browse" at the bottom right of window, see below) then select "Local Disk: (C)" (under "My Computer") then type in "Firefox.exe" (without the quotes) in the Search box at the far upper right of the window and press return (Enter), you should see the Firefox icon (FF executable file) which is the where the Firefox browser application is located (Firefox.exe), Click on that file (Firefox icon) and click the "OPEN" button, this will fill in the path to your Firefox browser (it will typically look like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe") then click "OK" in the PPtweaker window (if you didn't see the Firefox icon [FF executable file] then post back here at that point to say this is what happened for the "search").
Click on Blue (search) button, type in "Firefox.exe" to find path to Firefox application, click on file and click "Open" then click "OK".
Click on Blue (search) button, type in "Firefox.exe" to find path to Firefox application, click on file and click "Open" then click "OK".
Force Browser launch in PP.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 7483 times
Try your emails now after setting this in POP Peeper and see if this makes a difference, if this solves the issue then there is likely either a problem with your version of Firefox or a problem with your default browser settings in either the browser and/or OS (however the latter does not comport with the fact that the "Run" command did work for URL's).

Btw, what Firefox browser version are you using (go to "Help" > "About Firefox" in your browser to determine this)?

Addendum: If the issue persists after this try exiting POP Peeper, restarting and check all of these same settings in the "PPtweaker", "Misc 2" tab to make sure the settings are holding, if not holding (settings are not what they were before report back regarding this) if settings did hold try emails once again. If the issue remains at this point go to POP Peeper main menu: "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post what you see in both "Ini location" and "Data path" (you can select/copy/paste the path settings here to provide this). Thanks.
olegausa

Post by olegausa »

lakrsrool wrote:Some older versions of Firefox have had issues in regards to launching pages in the default browser in the past but that was way back if I recall.

At this point (absent knowing what else to do and since you've posted above that the "Browser to launch URL's" setting is blank) there's one more thing you could try which is to force the browser to launch URL's in Firefox using the POP Peeper setting to do this (you should not have to do this if your default browser is set correctly however but this is something to help determine if there may be an issue regarding this or more specifically your browser).

Go to PP main menu: "Tools" > "PPtweaker" > "Misc 2" tab, click on the little blue button ("Browse" at the bottom right of window, see below) then select "Local Disk: (C)" (under "My Computer") then type in "Firefox.exe" (without the quotes) in the Search box at the far upper right of the window and press return (Enter), you should see the Firefox icon (FF executable file) which is the where the Firefox browser application is located (Firefox.exe), Click on that file (Firefox icon) and click the "OPEN" button, this will fill in the path to your Firefox browser (it will typically look like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe") then click "OK" in the PPtweaker window (if you didn't see the Firefox icon [FF executable file] then post back here at that point to say this is what happened for the "search").
Force Browser launch in PP.png
Try your emails now after setting this in POP Peeper and see if this makes a difference, if this solves the issue then there is likely either a problem with your version of Firefox or a problem with your default browser settings in either the browser and/or OS (however the latter does not comport with the fact that the "Run" command did work for URL's).

Btw, what Firefox browser version are you using (go to "Help" > "About Firefox" in your browser to determine this)?

Addendum: If the issue persists after this try exiting POP Peeper, restarting and check all of these same settings in the "PPtweaker", "Misc 2" tab to make sure the settings are holding, if not holding (settings are not what they were before report back regarding this) if settings did hold try emails once again. If the issue remains at this point go to POP Peeper main menu: "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post what you see in both "Ini location" and "Data path" (you can select/copy/paste the path settings here to provide this). Thanks.
Sorry again for forgetting to specify that I use Firefox 39.0 I also tried to point PPTweaker as instructed to Firefox but it made no difference.
I also tried to exit and then start Pop Peeper again to verify that it holds settings after restart without problem.
Also Storage
Ini Location is C:\Users\OLEG\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data Path is C:\Users\OLEG\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper
Mr. Hardware
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm sorry olegausa, but at this point I can't see any reason why this problem should persist. You've tried everything I can think of to address this issue and as far as I can see all appears to be what it should be.

So since we've exhausted all approaches that I'm aware of to address your issue all I can say now is that at this point Jeff will be looking into this topic sometime tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your patience and of course all the help you've provided in this matter.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

olegausa, please provide a sample (or multiple if they are from different companies) by viewing the message, then select File / Save message as and save it to a file. Send the files as attachments. Since the emails will contain sensitive information, do NOT post these to the forum. Send them via email (support at esumsoft dot com) and please describe the problem; if there are specific links that cause the problem for each email, please mention that. We'll continue the conversation in email.