Gmail Archive

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
thejusme

Gmail Archive

Post by thejusme »

Very recently I noticed that deleting Gmail messages in POP Peeper no longer archives them like it used to, now it moves them to the actual Gmail trash. I am running POP Peeper v4.0.1.0. I see there is an "archive" option in POP Peeper but this option seems to be used to save the messages locally, not archive them remotely. Is there a setting I'm missing to turn this functionality back on? I guess this is the correct behavior technically but I would really like to have the old behavior back. I'm guessing all Gmail users would appreciate this as well since Gmail users rarely delete anything.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Gmail Archive

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper Plus Pack v4.1 will support this in one form or another, but let me ask you this:

1) Would it suffice if you could move messages to that folder? It may not be as convenient as simply deleting it, but it would be more flexible. (Imagine it as a toolbar button with a dropdown menu from which you could choose a folder to move the selected messages to)

2) If you could override the folder that deleted messages get moved to, would you prefer to be able to set that on a global level or a per-account level:
Global -- you would only have to specify it once, but it would affect ALL imap accounts
Per-account -- You could customize for each account, but you would have to specify it for ALL accounts that you wanted to use it for
thejusme

Post by thejusme »

1.) Yes a drop-down list with a "Move To" option would be handy.

2.) Personally I would prefer option 2 better. I think the best approach would be for the option to be on a per-account basis. That way people with a mixture of different email accounts can take different action for each one.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

OK... here's the current status:

The capability to be able to move messages around in imap folders was already completed and will be available in the Plus Pack v4.1.

I had previously added the back-end code (ie. no GUI option) to allow a global override of the "delete" folder. But after receiving your feedback and considering it again, I agree that it would be better on a per-account basis. In order to make room for it in the Accounts' options, a new "Advanced 2" page has been added (which means you'll only be able to access the option if you have enabled "Advanced Options" under Tools / Options / General). Like the capability to move IMAP messages mentioned above, this option will also require a license for the Plus Pack.
thejusme

Post by thejusme »

Great, thanks for the update and especially for being so responsive. In the meantime I noticed that if I downgraded back to 3.8 it has the desired behavior to archive gmail messages instead of putting them in the trash.