Aspeller error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
stevehein

Aspeller error

Post by stevehein »

I just started getting this aspeller error: (1) each time I want to compose or reply

It says the file "...\spelling\Personal/en.pws" is not in the proper format.

Then it says

Spell checking is not available for en_US

--
The spell checker was working fine and I quite liked it so I miss it....

I suspect the problem might have been caused by my laptop shutting off unexpectedly when the battery died, but that is just a guess. I am guessing the file got corrupted somehow since it had been working.

I am usiing v4.0.1
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Aspeller error

Post by Jeff »

Sorry about the problem. Yes, I'm certain that you're correct about an improper shutdown causing data corruption. I haven't seen it happen with POP Peeper, but I have another utility that I use the spell-checker with and a computer crash has caused the same problem. I'll improve that for the next version.

To fix the problem for now, you'll need to delete the file that it mentions. There's another file in the same folder that is also probably corrupted, so you'll want to delete these 2 files:
en.prepl
en.pws

The primary purpose of these files store any words that you've added to the personal dictionary, so you'll lose those.

If you have the data stored in the usual place, you should be able to copy this line:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\PluginData\Spelling\Personal
And paste it into the Windows Run prompt (or Windows Explorer address bar) to get where you need to delete the 2 files.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To follow-up on this -- the next version will ask if you want to delete these files so that you can continue to use the spell checker without having to find and delete the files yourself.
stevehein

Post by stevehein »

That worked. Thanks Jeff

I wish all software developers and companies were as responsive and helpful as you are.