Configuring version 4.01

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ted

Configuring version 4.01

Post by ted »

There are two things I want to configure in the new version:
1 The list of incoming email now has a background coloured blue/grey. I prefer the previous plain white background which I found much easier to look at. I can't find any way of reverting to the white background.
2 I don't need the spam filtering at all as my experience with such filters is negative. Is there some quick way of turning off spam filtering altogether?
spc3rd

Re: Configuring version 4.01

Post by spc3rd »

Hi ted,

The background color(s) you're seeing with the emails shown in PP's Message List are a component of the PP Pro v4 Antijunk feature (spam-filtering).
Since you've indicated having no need for the spam-filtering function, the simplest way to resolve both your issues is this:

- Open PP > [TOOLS] > [PLUGINS]
- On the plugins list shown - UNCHECK the box beside Antijunk, then click the [OK] button.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Ted, also as a follow-up, if you don't want the buttons to display in the main PP interface toolbar that belong to the corresponding components that you don't want to use, that is specifically "Anti-Junk", then you can also remove the buttons by right-clicking in an empty area of the PP toolbar and select "Customize" then select each button individually and click "Remove" in the Customize Toolbar interface. You can of course do the same thing in the PP read interface toolbar as well.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ted

Post by ted »

Thanks for your helpful replies folks.

Just for information, my past experience with other automated spam filters that they've mis-delivered more genuine mail than the spam they stopped. I use disposable email addresses giving me pretty much zero spam (less than around 6 a year). I also get considerable difficulty sending email out because many recipients' mail filters are far too aggressive, causing loss of important mail. The problem in a few cases is getting so bad that sometimes we have to consider finding alternative ways (other than email) to communicate reliably.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper's AntiJunk filters are very non-aggressive by default. Meaning, PP doesn't actually do anything to the messages, it simply filters them so that they're not displayed in the message list. This allows you to review them at your leisure and you can easily move them back into the main message list by marking them as "legit."

Personally, I don't delete any Junk by default (although you can), but I do auto-delete specific email. For example, I was getting tired of Facebook constantly asking me if I knew so-and-so and telling me that I have more friends on facebook than I think and it was very easy to create a filter that deleted that specific type of email.
ted

Post by ted »

Jeff wrote:POP Peeper's AntiJunk filters are very non-aggressive by default. Meaning, PP doesn't actually do anything to the messages, it simply filters them so that they're not displayed in the message list.
That's good. I have had problems with many other spam filtering systems which by default delete certain mail altogether without the user even having the opportunity to first view it. Also often anything filtered into a spam folder is also automatically deleted after a short time. I'm strongly opposed to filters which do that by default. Of course, if the user himself is offered an option to delete email, then fine, responsibility passes to him. If POP Peeper works this way I am happy. As it so happens, since I personally organise my email to get practically no spam at all, I don't need Anti-Junk at prersent. I'm pleased that PP offers me the facility to turn it off. Thanks for that.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The AntiJunk plugin also provides more capabilities than just filtering spam. It can also be used to provide special notifications. Right now, this is primarily accomplished using Rules, for which the current GUI may be a little too overwhelming for people, so I plan on providing a more convenient method in the future.