Annoying issue since last upgrade

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
itsmeintorre

Annoying issue since last upgrade

Post by itsmeintorre »

Hi
Since my Pop Peeper installation was upgraded to v4 (Pro) I have had a large white box appear in the centre of my Desktop which remains On Top of everything until the last incoming email has been read. Can anyone suggest the cause and remedy? (Everything was fine before v4.)

Screenshot should explain things better :
Attachments
Peeper_scrn.png
mjs

Re: Annoying issue since last upgrade

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum itsmeintorre,

So the box appears during the PP mail check and disappears after the mail check is done?

It could be caused by an issue as far as a combination of something else running at the same time.

Question, what version of IE do you have installed?

1) Possibly you've tried this but if not, you could try right-clicking in the box to see if you can identify the source of the box, i.e. within context menu (assuming you get this by right-clicking the box) click "properties". Possibly this might help determine what is causing this.

2) If option #1 above doesn't get you anywhere you could try uninstalling and reinstalling IE? (this may be a shot in the dark but it is possible that there could be an issue with IE that causes this phenomenon during the PP mail check in the event that IE is possibly corrupted in some manner in as much as aspects of POP Peeper use an IE-based control).

3) Lastly if your unable to determine the cause, option #1 and it isn't an IE issue option #2, then you could look in your Task Manager as far as what is usually running and then look again in Task Manager to see what else different is running besides PP when this occurs as far as applications running or processes running and either end the task or process, respectively . Possibly this could help you determine what is causing this odd behavior during the PP mail check. Only do this if you are able to determine what else it might be and it is non-essential you could try stopping either that application or process to see if the box disappears at that time which would help determine what it is that is causing this. Only try this if your in general familiar with what is running in Task Manager (4 ways to get to Task Manager: 1. Ctrl + Alt + Del > Select "Task Manager", 2. Ctrl + Shift + Esc, 3. Start > Run > taskmgr, 4. Right click on the Task Bar and select “Task Manager” from context-menu popup).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This box can be caused when the Skin Notifier is enabled but it can't find the selected skin, or some files from the selected skin are missing. To fix, you'll need to select a valid skin:
From PP's main menu, select Tools / Skin notifier -> Select skin
Select a skin from the list; test it to make sure that it works and press OK
itsmeintorre

Post by itsmeintorre »

Thanks for the welcome (I've actually been a POP Peeper user for years, fantastic little App) and thanks for the prompt replies.

Downloading a skin was the answer. But I don't really want one, the default notifier has always been sufficient for me. It can be seen in the bottom right of my screenshot, greying-out. So now to find how to turn Skin Notifiers off without reinstating the White Box.

Thanks again.

PS. IE was uninstalled from my machine many moons ago and that deletion has never caused any problems, anywhere. I'm a very happy Firefox user!!
mjs

Post by mjs »

It doesn't sound like you've downloaded the "Skin notifier", I know I haven't so I don't have the plugin listed in my PP application.

You might just check to see if you do have the "Skin Notifier" plugin and if so just disable it by unchecking it presumably. To check go to: "Tools" > "Plugins" > "Plugins" to check the list. If the "Skin Notifier" plugin is present, just unchecking it would presumably disable the plugin.

Also there is a setting under "Tools" > "Skin Notifier" > "Select skin / settings" (in my case it is not activated since I have not downloaded it) where perhaps you can re-establish back to the default setting. I'm just surmising here since I haven't got this setup as I said however.

Post back if any of this helps.

And of course in the event this doesn't help, Jeff will certainly be able to provide you with better answers on this later on (one of which could be to simply remove the "Skin Notifier" dll from the Pop Peeper installation folder possibly, since you've stated you're not interested in this plugin anyway).

Regarding your PS: I'm a very happy Firefox (FF) user myself as well. :D Perhaps you have no issues with PP absent IE because you do not view Pop Peeper emails in "HTML" format I suppose since it is my understanding that POP Peeper uses an IE-based control to display HTML-based messages. (btw, in regards to FF, I highly recommend the "Disconnect" extension in FF which in a totally seamless manner provides added privacy and security and I also use "NoScript" as well but for some this can certainly be considered a hassle to work with so it's clearly not at all an extension I'd recommend for everyone)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
itsmeintorre

Post by itsmeintorre »

Sorry for not replying earlier! I have been trying to reach this forum but the connection has been refused due to my use of a VPN (SecurityKISS).

I appear to have solved my problem. Checking things I note that Notification Skin is unchecked and the skin that I downloaded and installed has disappeared from the list.

Thanks for the help on this.

Regards