To popup

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
hime3

To popup

Post by hime3 »

Popup that appears Compose TO when type first letter of recipient is a welcome feature of PPPro.
However, names as well as email addresses appear in the popup.
Is there a way to access the popup list to delete the names so only email addresses are listed?
thanks
Hime
mjs

Re: To popup

Post by mjs »

To clarify your concerns here, what you're alluding to is that in some instanced both the "name" and the "email address" for the same recipient is getting listed in the "To" list drop-down when typing in characters in the "To" bar which in these cases amount to redundancy and therefore unnecessary (or at least not something you want listed). Of course as you know the more characters typed the more you'll narrow down the "drop-down" list.

One way to accomplish what you want is in the PPPro Interface menu go to: "Send Mail" > "Address book", select an email account then Click on "Edit" at the bottom of the interface window, remove the "name" entry, Click "OK" to make the change.

Now only the "email address" will be listed in the :drop-down" of the "To" bar that you've mentioned as a "popup" in the "To" in the compose interface.

The glaring drawback is that when you peruse the email addresses in the "Address Book" recipient names will not appear in the list. So if you don't mind not having the "name" of the person that belongs to the email address this will solve your problem. From my perspective I'd prefer to leave the "names" and have provided a few reasons why below (I would add that you may find out there are really only a fraction of the email addresses you'd need to do this with, that is remove the "name", to accomplish what you want which again is something I'll cover below as well).

Btw, if there is another better way to accomplish what you're asking for then I'm not aware of it and in that case perhaps Jeff will have a better answer for you.

Of course this "redundancy" occurs because the built in "search" that is done when typing characters is using both "name" and "email address" in the address book so up to the point that the "name" and "email address" have the same characters in both cases then both will be displayed. On the other hand, if a recipients "name" happens to have different characters in the "email address" then that redundancy will not occur because the typed characters will not match up to both values in the address book which is a critical point covered below.

Now to get to why I'd either leave the "names" or if you prefer only remove the "names" where it is actually necessary to accomplish what you want (see what I mean by this below).....

In my case I have nearly two-thirds of my email accounts in my address book that have "names" that are totally different than the "email address".

Example: "David" is the "name" value and "David@email.com" is the "email address", both will be listed, on the other hand if "David" is the "name" value and "admin@email.com" is the "email address" then in this case only one of the two will be listed depending upon how you look for the "email address" in regards to what characters you type based upon what you may happen to recall about this specific email address (an explanation as to why there can be an advantage to include both is further down). You might think that perhaps this is an unlikely scenario and to that point I understand your concern here, but that said you might find it is not as "unlikely" as you might think, for example in my case out of the 23 entries I have in my address book 14 of those entries have differences between "name" and "email address" to the extent that in the case of these 14 out of 23 there will be no redundancy so as you can see an argument can be made to include both values in the search as well.

Now that I think about it another obvious example familiar to all of us would be "esumsoft" as the "name" but of course the email address is "support@esumsoft.com". Either "es..." or "su..." typed in would get what you want but both will not display in the "To" "Drop-down" list obviously.

So if you like you could only remove the "names" that match the characters in the "email address" in your address book if you like and you'll get your desired outcome.

I'd be guessing but I think the reason Jeff has it working this way is because in some cases the "email address" may be relatively obscure to the user so in that event "name" is more helpful. On the other hand a "name" in some cases where the recipient is rarely used then the specific "email address" may actually be more definitive.

For example, the user may only recall specifically one or the other (not both) in a case where an email address may not be used very often. In the example referenced above, for instance David is an administrator at a company that has sent me something some time ago. I can recall that the recipient happens to be an "administrator" at the company but don't recall his name (David) off hand (which I think you would agree would more likely be the case). I would type in "A..." and get what I wanted.

All this said, perhaps an argument can be made to provide the user with an option to only list a preference of either one or the other in the "To" drop-down list (assuming of course that this is not already available of which I'm not aware).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: To popup

Post by Jeff »

As lakrsrool mentioned, it basically allows you to type and search using either email address or name. In some cases, they may be very different, even starting with different letters.