Showing unread mail but no mail found

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Spike

Showing unread mail but no mail found

Post by Spike »

Hello
I have been having this problem for over 2 weeks now and tried many things to fix it with no success.
I'm hopping that someone here will have a fix for me.
I have over 10 emails and on the left side of PP I have it showing the number of unread messages.
I have 2 emails that show that I have 1 unread message, but my problem is I can't find the message.
I have deleted all the email from pp and also went on the server of those email accounts and deleted all the
email also. My problem is it still shows in two accounts that I still have 1 unread email in each. All the other accounts
show 0. Is there a way to reset this feature?

Thanks in advance for any help
Spike
mjs

Re: Showing unread mail but no mail found

Post by mjs »

To reiterate, so all email has been deleted in both PP and the Email Client and I'm assuming you have no emails at all listed in the PP "inbox" since you've said you "can't find the message" in regards to the two accounts that still have a count of "1" in the "unread" column for each account.

Have you tried right/clicking on each of those two email accounts that have the "unread" messages count of "1" and selected "Remove messages from list..." to see if this might possibly reset the counter(s)?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Spike

Post by Spike »

lakrsrool wrote:To reiterate, so all email has been deleted in both PP and the Email Client and I'm assuming you have no emails at all listed in the PP "inbox" since you've said you "can't find the message" in regards to the two accounts that still have a count of "1" in the "unread" column for each account.

Have you tried right/clicking on each of those two email accounts that have the "unread" messages count of "1" and selected "Remove messages from list..." to see if this might possibly reset the counter(s)?
Yes I did remove message from the list and the 1 goes away but when pp checks for mail again up pops the 1 in the unread box in both accounts.
There must be something that I'm missing but just can't figure out what it is. All my other accounts work fine.
Thanks for replying.

Spike
mjs

Post by mjs »

Ah, so the "Mail check" resets the "unread" counter back to "1".

So what version of Pop Peeper are you using :?: (FYI, on a side note: IMAP will in the next release of the PP version (4.1) sync read/unread-status with server)

OK try changing one of these two accounts to IMAP that get the "1" count in the "unread" mail column subsequent to a "mail check" (I'm assuming you are not using IMAP and perhaps doing so will in some manner possibly synchronize the email to resolve this anomaly).

Then do a "Mail check" (you can right/click on the specific account and select "Check mail" to do a "Mail check" on that specific account if you like). See if doing this retains the "0" count in the "unread" column for that specific account. If so then of course do the same with the other account. If for some reason you prefer to not use IMAP you could switch back and perhaps the "Unread" count will likely be retained.

Look HERE for details on "Server Settings" depending upon the email account you're having this issue with (Hotmail, Yahoo etc) in regards to changing to IMAP. If you have any further questions on making this change post back of course (Btw, if you have PP Version 4 then the IMAP settings will be automatically set for you as a result of just changing the "Server-type" setting to "IMAP").

Let us know if this helps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Spike

Post by Spike »

Version 4.0.1
I did notice that my webmail version had an update and I downloaded and did the update.
I also changed both accounts to Imap and presto the 1's became 0 great!
Now I have another problem but not as annoying.
When I go to edit both accounts that I had the problem with next to the delete bottom left it shows
1 message(s)

I checked all the other accounts and they all show No Messages when there is really no message

Thanks again for all your support
Spike

Update: I also noticed that the tray icon also shows that I have 2 messages which I don't or can't find.
Spike
mjs

Post by mjs »

So it's looking better now - good!

Try exiting and re-starting PP to see if this will clear the remnant count anomalies that still remain.
Spike

Post by Spike »

lakrsrool wrote:So it's looking better now - good!

Try exiting and re-starting PP to see if this will clear the remnant count anomalies that still remain.
Exited PP restarted no change still the unknown message are still there in the edit screen.
Still good with the unread at 0
I can live with that, I don't use the edit account so out of sight out of mind.
It does make me wonder though if I missed an email along the line someplace. I'll try playing around another time and try removing the account and adding the account again and see if that works, if it does I will post here and let you know.

Thanks
Spike
mjs

Post by mjs »

Spike wrote:.... I'll try playing around another time and try removing the account and adding the account again and see if that works, if it does I will post here and let you know.
The underlined part should definitely work since the newly created account would necessarily be starting out with all counts initialized to zero simply because it's a "new" account. This would have been an alternative to changing to IMAP for the "read" count issue that's fortunately been resolved by doing so which one would have expected to have also taken care of any of these other oddities your finding. It would seem something got corrupted somehow at some point so again yes this approach should resolve the issues that still remain.
Spike

Post by Spike »

And it did Problem solved.
Thank you so much for your help with this annoying problem.
I love PP
keep up the great work, you rate number one when comparing all the other email programs out their.

Again thanks for your help

Spike
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry for showing up late to the party!

The messages may have been filtered by AntiJunk. Did the tray icon have a red envelope? That's one indication that unread messages are currently filtered. Another is that the "Junk View" button on the toolbar will be highlighted (yellow). In either case, press the "Junk View" button and you'll see the messages that are filtered (evaluated as Junk). If they were mis-evaluated, mark them as "Legit" to move them back to the Inbox and to train POP Peeper.