Gmail, new safety policy 1st june 2015

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
marillo

Gmail, new safety policy 1st june 2015

Post by marillo »

Hi
I've been using Poppeer for a long time, and the crazyness for security of gmail is getting worse and worse.
Gmail actually changed (improved) the policy for security, and I cannot login now using my account in poppeeper, nor I can find the correct page or parameters in Gmail to let poppeeper check the email (imap account). this is a problem of Gmail, not PP, bur I cannot sort it.
Anyone who did succeed and want to post the correct parameters in gmail security page, to allow PP ener the account?

thanks in advance and regards
Alex
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Gmail, new safety policy 1st june 2015

Post by Jeff »

marillo -- You need to enable "less secure apps" for each GMail-imap account:
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

For future reference, it's also in step #3 of this FAQ:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... =GMailImap
popkat

Post by popkat »

Hi Jeff,

I did that step for gmail but still get that error issue too that this user has complained about. Here's my exclamation point paste:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.14.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
Google_changedfor privacy [10: GMail] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-10)
mjs

Post by mjs »

popkat, you may notice that you're using an older version of Webmail plugin (current version is 4.0.16.0, you're able to tell this by clicking on "Help" > "About Pop Peeper").

Click HERE to refer to Jeff's post in a recent topic regarding further issues with Gmail having to do with the Webmail plugin update(s).

Assuming what you've done is perform the first link posted by Jeff above having to do with enabling "less secure apps" for Gmail account(s), an alternative to using Webmail (that is "Gmail" Server-type) would be to consider doing what is suggested in the 2nd link provided by Jeff as to switching to IMAP (Step #1 and Step #2 in that 2nd link posted above). That said, for now the simpler approach would be to simply update the Webmail plugin which will presumably solve your problem for now and perhaps you may need to look at the link provided by Jeff regarding a "manual update" in the board topic I've linked above in this post.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
popkat

Post by popkat »

Hi,

I just changed from type gmail to imap in the poppeeper settings and it started working - I guess the gmail type was working for awhile and just broke for me in the past few days. Thanks as always for the super quick response!! You guys are great!!

Cheers!
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're very welcome!

Gmail protocol would have probably worked if you had just updated your webmail plugin, that said IMAP is generally a preferential protocol to use regardless. In the event you have other accounts that may possibly still be using the webmail plugin(i.e. specifically Yahoo) it would still be a good idea to update your webmail plugin to the current version 4.0.16.0 if it hasn't been already (refer to prior post regarding this).

The versions since the webmail version you're currently using (4.0.14.0) have addressed the following issues:
v4.0.16 (Jun 04, 2015) - Yahoo: Fixed issue accessing certain folders
v4.0.15 (Jun 03, 2015) - GMail: Fixed sign-in error (-10)

So in the event that you've got Yahoo accounts using the "webmail" (Yahoo) protocol getting a webmail plugin update would definitely be advisable.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers