What is -v3 data folder?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ted

What is -v3 data folder?

Post by ted »

I notice that after I upgraded to version 4 a new data folder with a name ending -v3 appeared alongside my POP Peeper data. I get the impression POP Peeper doesn't use it. What exactly is the -v3 folder and do I need to keep it for any reason?
mjs

Re: What is -v3 data folder?

Post by mjs »

When upgrading from Pop Peeper v3 to v4 a backup of your v3 data is made in the same location as it was, but with "-v3" appended to it, i.e. if v3 was previously located at the default path of C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\ then v3 data will be moved to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v3\ to serve as a backup of your v3 data.

ADDENDUM: An important reason for this v3 backup is that "... data files from v4 are not compatible with v3.", as mentioned in this post by Jeff in another older topic I was able to dig up that you may want to take a look at: 4.0.1 not a go for me trying to reload 3.8
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ted

Post by ted »

lakrsrool wrote:When upgrading from Pop Peeper v3 to v4 a backup of your v3 data is made in the same location as it was, but with "-v3" appended to it, ...
OK that's what I assumed. Given that I have now been successfully using v4 for several weeks, is there any need or advantage in keeping the -v3 folder or should I just delete it? Unless there's something subtle going on I guess the data in that folder is now well out of date anyway.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you have not experienced any issues of any kind and are completely satisfied with v4 you have the option to delete this folder if you wish, doing so has absolutely no impact on v4. The only purpose for this folder is to provide a backup to your v3 data which cannot be used by v4 anyway.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to confirm -- it is safe to delete the "-v3" data folder, as it is simply a backup of the data files that v3 used before you upgraded to v4. v4 created it, but does not use it.