Embedded image doesn't display in email message

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
amitt

Embedded image doesn't display in email message

Post by amitt »

When I receive a yahoo email message that has a embedded image in the page, it doesn't display, only a
empty frame where the photo should show. (My Version Pop Peeper 4.01 / Webmail 4.0.16)
I set Option to view messages in HTML - smart html viewing (unchecked)
I know this has nothing to do with the new version 4 of Pop Peeper since the previous version
did the same thing.

Thanks- Alan
mjs

Re: Embedded image doesn't display in email message

Post by mjs »

Are you getting a yellow band across the top of your email message that states: "Blocked Remote images: Double-click to unblock images" :?: This is an extra step to provide additional security.

That said, go to: "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" > look at the option in the HTML section: "Block external images and data", is this option checked :?: (This option if checked will as you would expect block images, default is checked) If checked and you uncheck this option then images should display and with that be advised of the following information below.

Just a word of warning: as you probably already know, viewing messages with HTML can potentially make you more vulnerable to malicious scripts, viruses, and tracking agents. Personally I would not recommend opening any emails that you're not familiar with using these settings (I utilized these settings myself but limit opening only emails that I am familiar with and consider trustworthy and even then there will still be risks involved that I'm personally willing to take in the expectation that my AV program will catch any malicious activity or suspicious behavior, but of course there are no guarantees).

Let me know if this helps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There is a problem display inline images with "Yahoo" -- I believe that I've looked into this before, but I'll look into it again. In the meantime, there is a solution -- access the account using IMAP instead of WebMail. You can do this by editing the account and changing the "server type" from "Yahoo" to "IMAP."

Note that PP will have to re-download all the message/headers when you change the server type.
amitt

Post by amitt »

Changing the Yahoo server type to IMAP and installing SSL plugin worked.

Thanks