IMAP is failing with "SSL connection failed" [RESOLVED]

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Montagar

IMAP is failing with "SSL connection failed" [RESOLVED]

Post by Montagar »

All of my IMAP email accounts are now failing with "SSL connection failed". It's only the IMAP accounts that are having an issue. I think the issue might have to do with my previous post regarding the CRC FAIL for the imap.dll that is listed in my Help>About POP Peeper.

http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 568#p30517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mjs

Re: IMAP is failing with "SSL connection failed"

Post by mjs »

Since that post you linked to above was back in April (over two months ago) I'm assuming you don't still have "CRC fail" for both IMAP and SSL since I noticed further down in that topic you stated quote: "EDIT: Oh, and after installing the updated SSL module CRC now shows 'pass'....". And I'm assuming you've had no issues since that time until now. With that, I'm inclined to conclude that this issue is not related to the issue in the previous topic.

What are the email client account(s) that are failing (i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail, Yahoo etc)?

So what versions of IMAP and SSL do you have? I'm assuming you have SSL version 1.0.1.8 and at least IMAP version 4.0.1.0, as you know you go to "Help" > "About POP Peeper" in the main menu to get this information.

Please click on the "yellow exclamation" (see 1st image example below) and then click on "Copy" (see 2nd image example below), click "OK" then post a reply here in this topic and paste the error (place cursor in reply, right/click in your reply to this topic and select "paste" or alternatively you can press CTRL+V to paste the error ).
Click on Exclamation to get Error Overview Window
Click on Exclamation to get Error Overview Window
PP ERROR OVERVIEW BUTTON png.png (13.35 KiB) Viewed 9929 times
Click on Copy in Error Overview Window and paste this information to this topic according to instructions posted here
Click on Copy in Error Overview Window and paste this information to this topic according to instructions posted here
PP ERROR OVERVIEW COPY TO PASTE png.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 9929 times
Doing this will post your Error Overview Information in this topic which is helpful.

Thank you.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Just to clarify, the SSL CRC FAIL was resolved back in April but the IMAP CRC FAIL still exists.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.16.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 3.8.1.0
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
************ [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmx.com' (587) SSL: 2]
SSL connection failed

************ [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
SSL connection failed

************ [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.com' (587) SSL: 2]
SSL connection failed

************ [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
SSL connection failed
mjs

Post by mjs »

Montagar wrote: --- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.16.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 3.8.1.0
IMAP: 4.0.1.0

SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0
What I'm noticing is something that seems to me very odd, which is that you have IMAP listed twice for both version 3.8.1.0 and version 4.0.1.0 in your error listing. We should only see the "IMAP: 4.0.1.0" listed. Frankly I do not know why or how you would get both listed here in your "Error Overview" information.

Just curious, when you go to "Help" > "About POP Peeper" do you actually see both versions of IMAP listed :?: (it would be very odd if you do) But if you actually do then which is getting the "CRC Fail" :?:

It would suggest to me that perhaps something went wrong with your POP Peeper version 4 installation. Based on the link you referenced in your initial post you mentioned that you " updated v3 to v4" on Apr 22, 2015. How did you do that update :?:

At this stage I've gone ahead and contacted Jeff and asked him to review this topic since it will require his expertise. Any information in the meantime that you can provide regarding the (three) questions that I've posted above including how you "updated v3 to v4" would be helpful.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

spc3rd (Pete) has just contacted me with a good suggestion. In the POP Peeper main menu try going to "Tools" > "Plugins" and see if you have IMAP listed twice (for both versions), if so try unchecking the IMAP 3.8.1.0 to disable it.

Then be sure and Exit POP Peeper and restart and see if this helps with your errors.

Thanks Pete for the help. :wink:

Oh and Montagar, let us know what the results are trying this. Jeff will probably still want to check in on this since this issue may involve an installation problem, but in the meantime it's worth trying this for now.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

1) Help > About POP Peeper only had one IMAP listed.
2) Don't remember how I did the update, but I am sure that I followed whatever instructions were provided.
3) I went into the Plugins and yes, they were both listed. I unchecked IMAP 3.8.1.0 and restarted. IMAP 4.0.1.0 is now the only one listed and there is no more CRC "FAIL" for IMAP under Help > About POP Peeper. So if nothing else, that original issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately all of my IMAP accounts are still not working and displaying the "SSL connection failed" error message.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Just curious, do you have "Server requires authentication" checked in the "Send mail" tab settings for each account.
Edit Account, click on "Send mail", check the setting
Edit Account, click on "Send mail", check the setting
For reference, Servers Settings are found HERE.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Montagar, please do the following to remove the extraneous IMAP plugin:
1) Exit POP Peeper
2) Open Windows Explorer to where POP Peeper is installed. Usually:
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
or
C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\

3) Look for any .dll files that you may have renamed. Specifically, you cannot rename "imap.dll" to "imap_v381.dll" because POP Peeper may still find it and that's why you have a duplicate. You should either delete the extra file or rename it so that it doesn't have a .dll extension; I prefer to use .dxx.

4) Restart POP Peeper and make sure that only one imap plugin is listed and that it is v4.0.1 and that it is enabled

This may not still correct the ssl connection failed problem, however. If not, are you behind a corporate firewall -- they tend to block SSL connections since they cannot scan for viruses, etc. Otherwise, have you recently made any changes to your AntiVirus? Some AV programs do not handle SSL very well and you should either disable real-time email scanning or you'll have to read their instructions to use SSL.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

lakrsrool wrote:Just curious, do you have "Server requires authentication" checked in the "Send mail" tab settings for each account.
Server requires Authenticiation checked.png
For reference, Servers Settings are found HERE.
Yes, "Server requires authentication" is check for each account.
Jeff wrote:Montagar, please do the following to remove the extraneous IMAP plugin:
1) Exit POP Peeper
2) Open Windows Explorer to where POP Peeper is installed. Usually:
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
or
C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\

3) Look for any .dll files that you may have renamed. Specifically, you cannot rename "imap.dll" to "imap_v381.dll" because POP Peeper may still find it and that's why you have a duplicate. You should either delete the extra file or rename it so that it doesn't have a .dll extension; I prefer to use .dxx.

4) Restart POP Peeper and make sure that only one imap plugin is listed and that it is v4.0.1 and that it is enabled

This may not still correct the ssl connection failed problem, however. If not, are you behind a corporate firewall -- they tend to block SSL connections since they cannot scan for viruses, etc. Otherwise, have you recently made any changes to your AntiVirus? Some AV programs do not handle SSL very well and you should either disable real-time email scanning or you'll have to read their instructions to use SSL.
Already removed the other imap file (it had been renamed but still contained the .dll extension).

I tried disabling my anti-virus and it made no difference.

I have my own firewall appliance and although nothing has changed I went ahead and opened all the ports in both directions just to eliminate that as a possible cause... it did not resolve the issue.
mjs

Post by mjs »

So then I'm assuming you just removed the other IMAP file this morning, because earlier you did have two.

In the folder where POP Peeper is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Pop Peeper) you'll find two files, libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. What is the size of these two files?

I'm using WIN7 as you are and my files are the following: libeay32.dll 1215KB, ssleay32.dll 327KB which should be relatively close to what you have. If not then if you wish you could try manually installing these two .dll's (these .dll's provide SSL connection)

For instructions on manually installing the SSL plugin, CLICK HERE

As described in that link: FIRST EXIT POP PEEPER. Then download and open the zip file using the download link provided. If you like (just to save what you've got now) you can rename these two .dll files in the manner that Jeff described (w/ ext ".dxx") in this topic. After you have Downloaded and opened the zip file using the download link provided you then copy the 2 files (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) into the POP Peeper installation folder (typically, C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\). Using your Windows Explorer (I'm assuming you're using windows OS) in "C:" (local disk) you'll find a "Program files" folder (x86), double-left/click on that folder, you'll then find in that list of folders the "Pop Peeper" folder, paste the two files you copied (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) into this folder. (you're familiar with copy/paste, right?). If you are bit vague on this, to select multiple files use the "ctrl" key, while holding down the "ctrl" key select each file (in this case two) that are located in the folder where you downloaded the files (typically "Downloads" folder) then right-click on either of the selected files and select "Copy" (from the context menu) then go to the target folder ("Pop Peeper" folder) right-click again on the folder and select "Paste" (from the context menu) if you're prompted to replace the current files reply "yes" (in the event you did not rename what you have now), your done.

If you decide to try this then, please post back if this resolves you're problem updating the SSL plugin or in the event you have problems installing the two SSL plugins.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

lakrsrool wrote:So then I'm assuming you just removed the other IMAP file this morning, because earlier you did have two.
I removed it as part of the process from my first post this morning but didn't mention it in the post.
In the folder where POP Peeper is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Pop Peeper) you'll find two files, libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. What is the size of these two files?

I'm using WIN7 as you are and my files are the following: libeay32.dll 1215KB, ssleay32.dll 327KB which should be relatively close to what you have. If not then if you wish you could try manually installing these two .dll's (these .dll's provide SSL connection)

For instructions on manually installing the SSL plugin, CLICK HERE

As described in that link: FIRST EXIT POP PEEPER. Then download and open the zip file using the download link provided. If you like (just to save what you've got now) you can rename these two .dll files in the manner that Jeff described (w/ ext ".dxx") in this topic. After you have Downloaded and opened the zip file using the download link provided you then copy the 2 files (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) into the POP Peeper installation folder (typically, C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\). Using your Windows Explorer (I'm assuming you're using windows OS) in "C:" (local disk) you'll find a "Program files" folder (x86), double-left/click on that folder, you'll then find in that list of folders the "Pop Peeper" folder, paste the two files you copied (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) into this folder. (you're familiar with copy/paste, right?). If you are bit vague on this, to select multiple files use the "ctrl" key, while holding down the "ctrl" key select each file (in this case two) that are located in the folder where you downloaded the files (typically "Downloads" folder) then right-click on either of the selected files and select "Copy" (from the context menu) then go to the target folder ("Pop Peeper" folder) right-click again on the folder and select "Paste" (from the context menu) if you're prompted to replace the current files reply "yes" (in the event you did not rename what you have now), your done.

If you decide to try this then, please post back if this resolves you're problem updating the SSL plugin or in the event you have problems installing the two SSL plugins.
My two files are the same as the ones from the download but I went ahead and replaced them anyway in case there was any corruption. It did not resolve the issue. :(
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

More than likely, there is still something that's blocking the SSL port.

What I would try is to access one of the same accounts using TLS, and if that doesn't work, no SSL/TLS just to make sure IMAP can connect (if you have other non-encrypted IMAP accounts that aren't listed here [ie. no error], then that test isn't necessary). The gmx.com imap server supports all 3 variations, so it's a good one to test.

TLS uses the same port that non-encrypted IMAP uses (port 143), so I think there's a good chance it would work; thus supporting the theory that the SSL port is blocked (port 993).
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Jeff wrote:More than likely, there is still something that's blocking the SSL port.

What I would try is to access one of the same accounts using TLS, and if that doesn't work, no SSL/TLS just to make sure IMAP can connect (if you have other non-encrypted IMAP accounts that aren't listed here [ie. no error], then that test isn't necessary). The gmx.com imap server supports all 3 variations, so it's a good one to test.

TLS uses the same port that non-encrypted IMAP uses (port 143), so I think there's a good chance it would work; thus supporting the theory that the SSL port is blocked (port 993).
IMAP with TLS (using port 143) failed with the same error "SSL connection failed", but IMAP with the "No SSL" setting (using port 143) works.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Any recent changes regarding your provider?

What provider do you use? Do you use a WIFI connection?

Any changes regarding your AV program?

What AV protection do you use?
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

I just installed Thunderbird portable (for testing purposes) and was able to access all of the problem accounts using IMAP with SSL (port 993), so that would indicate that this is specific to POP Peeper and not an issue with ISPs, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

At this point I think I will try uninstalling POP Peeper and then doing a fresh install using version v4 as I am presently using an upgraded v3 install that had issues after the upgrade (CRC FAIL).
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Montagar wrote:I just installed Thunderbird portable (for testing purposes) and was able to access all of the problem accounts using IMAP with SSL (port 993), so that would indicate that this is specific to POP Peeper and not an issue with ISPs, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

At this point I think I will try uninstalling POP Peeper and then doing a fresh install using version v4 as I am presently using an upgraded v3 install that had issues after the upgrade (CRC FAIL).
All of the accounts are now working. Not exactly sure what happened, but reinstalling v4 appears to have resolved the issue. Thanks for all the help.
mjs

Re: IMAP is failing with "SSL connection failed" [RESOLVED]

Post by mjs »

Thanks for reporting back Montagar
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: IMAP is failing with "SSL connection failed" [RESOLVED]

Post by Jeff »

Glad it's working again. I suspect that there was some weird combination of v3/v4 files as the duplicate imap.dll file suggested. SSL requires 2 files (ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll), so perhaps one of those files was mismatched with the other.