Gmail: Username/password error?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
007me

Re: Gmail: Username/password error?

Post by 007me »

Jeff,

I've checked the webmail and it is working with no problem.
I don't have 2 step verification.
In fact, it is more strange, cause even if I'm changing to POP3 and all is working, the next time I restart my computer it returns to GMAIL.
It doesn't save the settings or the password after restart.
This happens to me in 2 different computers.
Both with Windows 8.1.
One is Pro version and the other is Enterprise version.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Udi.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It means that POP Peeper's ini file is write-protected (ie. read-only). Presumably, it's not because the file itself is read-only, but it's probably protected by Windows UAC. In that case, you need to move the file:
1) In POP Peeper's main menu, select Tools / Options
2) Select the "Storage" page
3) Note the "Ini Location"
-> If the ini location does not start with C:\Program Files then do not continue (continue if C:\Program Files)
4) Exit POP Peeper
5) MOVE (so that the original file is no longer there) the ini file noted in step #3 to:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper
-> copy that line and enter it into Windows Run prompt to open the correct folder
-> The "POP Peeper" folder may not exist, in which case, you should open the parent folder (%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\), and create "POP Peeper"; now move the ini file in there
6) Restart POP Peeper
7) Go to Tools / Options / Storage and make sure that the ini location is now "C:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
8) Also, while you're here, if the "Data path" says "data" -- erase it so the value is empty and press OK

Once you've done that, edit your gmail account, make sure that both the login name and password are correct (either re-type the password or use the 'confirm button) and check the account for mail to see if it works now. If not, then I'll need to get a log from you to see what the problem is: Email me
007me

Post by 007me »

Jeff,

That worked.
Moving the ini file to the roaming.
How come before 4.0.1 is was working well while in the program files? And now not?

Thanks for the support!
Appreciated.

Udi
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If by "before 4.0.1" you mean v3.x (as opposed to v4.0), then the reason is that Windows treats v4 differently because of UAC. v3 was not "UAC-aware" so Windows would store files in the VirtualStore folder instead of the Program Files folder. If you're not familiar with some of those terms (and I don't expect you to be) -- it would take paragraphs of explanation and it's not something you really need to be concerned about (but if you're really interested, researching the "VirtualStore" folder is probably where to start). v4 doesn't have access to the VirtualStore folder and may have been using an older ini file.

The caveat to "don't worry about it" -- it's very likely that the poppeeper.ini file that you're currently using was not the latest poppeeper.ini file that you had. If the problem was that the older ini file had an old password, that would be one side-effect. But if it's the only thing you've noticed that's changed, I'll go back to my previous addage of, "don't worry about it."

Otherwise, you can probably find a more recent copy of your ini file here:
If you have 64-bit OS:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper
or 32-bit OS:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\POP Peeper

If you decide to copy this file into the AppData folder that I mentioned in my previous post:
(1) Make sure you you make a copy of the poppeeper.ini file that you're currently using
(2) Make sure that you exit POP Peeper before copying the ini file
007me

Post by 007me »

Understood, but what if my UAC was never works? As for every new computer installation that I'm doing I'm disabling it?
What's than?
mjs

Post by mjs »

007me wrote:Understood, but what if my UAC was never works? As for every new computer installation that I'm doing I'm disabling it?
What's than?
Just to clarify as to what you've described here by saying "... I'm disabling it", that is UAC presumably.

So are you saying that you've actually changed your UAC setting(s) for your computer(s) using WIN8 to "Never notify", as you see in the image below?

If so, just a word of warning, for security reasons this is not recommended. When set to "Never notify" this will allow any executable file to run on your computer and make changes of any kind without your knowing anything about it.
UAC disable in WIN8.png
If you haven't done this (that is, changed the setting to what you see above) then UAC is not "disabled" and should work as expected, that is provide warnings that can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer.

If on the other hand what your actually doing is disabling UAC from prompting for credentials to install applications by running the Windows accessory "secpol.msc" to "disable" UAC at the time of the install (which is a relatively complicated procedure, especially in WIN8) then that's different and would of course only apply to the specific install. (if this is not what your doing then disregard)

BOTTOM LINE: That all said, as to why what you've done as described by Jeff has solved your issue, this is because UAC also impacts "write protection" settings specific to the "directory path" that as I understand it is totally independent of the UAC "warnings" settings (described above) in any case which is why what you did was necessary to resolve your specific issue discussed here in this topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I didn't know about that UAC settings that lakrsrool mentioned, but as he said, changing that doesn't affect how UAC works. But, you certainly had all the symptoms of UAC being active, so it doesn't sound like UAC is disabled as you thought.
valkyrie

Post by valkyrie »

Unfortunately here at work in me still does not work by setting all three different functions

What is IMAP, POP3 or GMAIL I have always an error message, depending on the functionality 'choice. In my house instead it is operating normally
mjs

Post by mjs »

valkyrie wrote:Unfortunately here at work in me still does not work by setting all three different functions

What is IMAP, POP3 or GMAIL I have always an error message, depending on the functionality 'choice. In my house instead it is operating normally
If you are able to successfully login to your Gmail account(s) on the web using your browser then the "Gmail" Server-type setting in POP Peeper should work successfully at your place of employment (see below for more details).

Refer to these two posts to you valkyrie in another topic, posted by both Jeff, CLICK HERE and myself CLICK HERE.

valkyrie, you posted the following in this topic quote CLICK HERE TO SEE:
valkyrie wrote:ok this is the copy of the error that I get - Done copy and paste

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.15.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
Notification Skin: 3.6.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [10: GMail] ['pop.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Errore Login: Verifica il tuo Nome Login e Password.

Edited by lakrsrool to translate Error Description from Italian to English: "Login error: Check your login name and password."
Refer to the RED part of your post, presumably you are not still using Webmail: 4.0.15.0, since you're saying that your Gmail accounts in POP Peeper work at home but I just want to make sure since you may currently be using either IMAP or POP3 protocol now (instead of the "Gmail" protocol you were using at the time of your post above) which would not use the webmail plugin in that case and therefore work at home.

If you want to use POP Peeper at your work it appears you'll likely need to use the "Gmail" Server-setting for your Gmail accounts (which is what you were using at the time of your post above but you may have changed the email protocol since then) and if you are not using the current version of the webmail plugin in POP Peeper then you'll need to update your webmail plugin as Jeff had upgraded the plugin to fix a Gmail login problem, as you can see by CLICKING HERE.

If you've updated the PP webmail plugin to the current (4.0.17.0) version refer to this topic where Jeff posted the following: CLICK HERE, see LAST POST at the bottom of page. Follow the suggestions posted by Jeff in the » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm post where this link takes you at the bottom of the topic page.

It is likely the 1st paragraph or possibly 2nd paragraph will apply in your case but if not read on in this post (see Bottom line below in reference to this), that is make sure you are able to directly login to your Gmail accounts on-line using the Gmail Client on the web.

BOTTOM LINE
: IMAP and/or POP3 can at times be blocked at a persons' place of work by your employer based on security reasons they might have. If you are able to successfully login to your accounts using the Gmail Client on the web (that is using your browser on the Internet) then your accounts should work in PP using the "Gmail" Server-type setting at your work without any problems. If you prefer to use another Server-type setting than "Gmail" then it appears POP Peeper will not work at your place of employment.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

valkyrie, to clarify in a more concise way; if you want to use POP Peeper at your place of work then do the following:
1) Make sure you can login to all of your Gmail accounts on the Internet using a web browser and you can get to your Gmail inbox (if you're already logged in, logout and login again)
2) Make sure you are using the current (version 4.0.17.0) webmail plugin in POP Peeper (go to "Help" > "About POP Peeper" to determine this)
3) Make sure all of your Gmail accounts are using the "Gmail" Server-type setting in POP Peeper.

If you are able to login to Gmail and access the Gmail inbox successfully in a browser and your using the POP Peeper "Gmail" Server-type setting and your using the current POP Peeper webmail plugin then POP Peeper should work successfully at your place of work. The reason that IMAP or POP3 may not work at your place of work is because your employer may for security reasons be blocking emails using this protocol.
valkyrie

Post by valkyrie »

Ciao a tutti

I did all the checks that you told me to do and popeeper is updated to the information given by you.
Here at work and is set gmail as well is as it was before the bug began to appear.
Only up to 20 working days ago and now does not work anymore '.
I am sure that as a result of some updates sent by my company must be modified something that I do not know
mjs

Post by mjs »

So then valkyrie, is all of the following currently true?

1) Your Gmail accounts are set to use "Gmail" Server Type :?:

2) Your webmail plugin is version 4.0.17.0 :?: (I had not noticed this before but apparently you did update to this version back in June posted on the previous page and as stated below)

3) Using a web browser you are able to login to all of your Gmail accounts and you can get to your Gmail inbox (if you're already logged in, logout and login again) :?:

Going back over this forum thread I just noticed that there is a post in this topic: Post by valkyrie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:38 pm which says you did "upgrade" the webmail plugin at that time where you've stated the following (sorry, I overlooked that post):
valkyrie wrote:I also did the upgrade and is 'all ok

tank you
So then was POP Peeper at that time "all ok" at your work :?: (or was that at your home?)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

valkyrie, besides the questions lakrsrool asked, could you also let us know what errors you get when using both "GMail" and "IMAP" for the server type? Knowing both errors may help to deduce what the problem is.
valkyrie

Post by valkyrie »

I begin by saying that in my house and is everything ok with the server set to gmail.
At work with the server set to gmail get the error of login or password are incorrect (even if they are correct)
With the server set Imap I get the error of incorrect connection

I repeat is 'all updated according to your advice

ciao
mjs

Post by mjs »

valkyrie wrote:I begin by saying that in my house and is everything ok with the server set to gmail.
At work with the server set to gmail get the error of login or password are incorrect (even if they are correct)
With the server set Imap I get the error of incorrect connection

I repeat is 'all updated according to your advice

ciao
Thank you for your quick response with that information valkyrie.

So after updating the webmail plugin to version 4.0.17.0 and using the "Gmail" server setting you are getting the same error you posted on page 1 of this topic quote:
valkyrie on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:37 am wrote:
Gmail [10: GMail] ['pop.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]

Translating Error Description from Italian to English: "Login error: Check your login name and password."
And just to make sure, using a web browser on the internet have you logged out of Gmail (if already logged in) and then logged into Gmail and got to your Gmail inbox :?: We're wanting to make sure that none of your Gmail accounts are blocking access to your Gmail inbox on the web with a message of some kind from Gmail.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Do what lakrsrool suggested (logging out/in), preferrably using Internet Explorer if possible. If that doesn't work, email me so I can get some logs from you and see what the problem is.
valkyrie

Post by valkyrie »

Ciao

my account is not 'locked

I tried to get in using gmail internet explorer.

By and I go out regularly with no problems
mjs

Post by mjs »

OK valkyrie, if you have logged out and back into your Gmail account(s) successfully using Internet Explorer and you still get the same error in POP Peeper using the "Gmail" server type protocol then please click on the link provided by Jeff in the post above yours to followup with him regarding this issue. If you are able to login successfully using a browser on the web and you're using the "Gmail" email protocol in POP Peeper then you should not be getting any POP Peeper "mail check" errors at this time, so Jeff will need to look into this further once you've contacted him by email.

If you would please, post back here once you've sent Jeff a message to let us know. Thanks. :D
valkyrie

Post by valkyrie »

--- Version ---

if I understand it you want it places the error message by setting popeeper with Gmail.

Here it is :

Webmail: 4.0.14.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [10: GMail] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
mjs

Post by mjs »

valkyrie wrote:--- Version ---

if I understand it you want it places the error message by setting popeeper with Gmail.

Here it is :

Webmail: 4.0.14.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [10: GMail] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
valkyrie, look above at your webmail version in RED. This is NOT the current webmail plugin version!!! You've said you updated the plugin but this is not what displays.

So then valkyrie, this is your problem, you are not using the current version of the webmail plugin in POP Peeper so you'll need to update your webmail plugin as Jeff had upgraded the plugin to fix this Gmail login problem, as you can see by CLICKING HERE. <-- Follow the instructions in this link to solve your problem.

As you can see in the POP Peeper Plugins page by scrolling down to the bottom of the page you'll find the following: "v4.0.17 (Jun 25, 2015) - GMail: Fixed login error". As you can see this plugin update (webmail plugin version 4.0.17.0) was for the purpose to fix the Gmail login error problem. Once you've followed the instructions provided by Jeff in his link posted above and updated your webmail plugin then Gmail should work at your place of employment.