Complete re-scanning of mailbox at each poppeeper start

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Roland

Complete re-scanning of mailbox at each poppeeper start

Post by Roland »

Hi,
On each restart of poppeeper version 4.x there is the following problem: for instance in my yahoo mail box, there are 2000 mails and poppeeper scans these 2000 mails from the first one to the last one, each time I restart Poppeeper, for instance after a reboot. It loads only the ones not already loaded but why does it scans the whole mail box and does not start its scanning of the mailbox from the last download, as it does during a session? This takes quite a long time each time and it happens with all the mailboxes, except with gmail because gmail displays only 50 mail per page on the webmail, as I configured it. This did not happen with previous version of poppeeper 3.x.
mjs

Re: Complete re-scanning of mailbox at each poppeeper start

Post by mjs »

Hi Roland, if you can give us more information this would be helpful. (I'm sorry but I'm personally trying to clarify your situation as to what is occurring so I have a number of questions for you)

Has what your describing started subsequent to when you upgraded to v4 or did v4 appear to work OK for awhile therefore did not have the "problems" your describing for a while and then appear to not work as before sometime after you upgraded :?: I ask this because when first upgrading to v4 the first mail check may take longer, but this would only be for the first time hence thereafter mail checks should actually be faster.

What type of accounts do you use? (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc) :?:

How are your email accounts setup? (i.e. Server type: "Gmail", "IMAP", "POP3" etc.) :?:

When you say "after a reboot", does this mean "starting POP Peeper" or does this mean "rebooting your computer" :?:

What do you mean by "during a session"? Are you "exiting" and "starting" POP Peeper each time you us it :?:

When you refer to the terms "scans", "last download" and "each poppeeper start" (as defined in the topic title) are you in each case referring to a POP Peeper "Mail check" (in other words each time POP Peeper checks all accounts for "new" mail) and if not what exactly do you mean regarding each term :?:

As to the "50 mail per page" setting in Gmail of which I'm presuming you're referring to the Google mail "Maximum page size" setting (by default it is set to "50"), this setting only applies to the Gmail client (has virtually nothing to do with POP Peeper), in other words when you login to Gmail on the web, Gmail will display 50 emails per page on the Internet website. I"m confused as to who this applies to POP Peeper as far as what your describing.

In regards to specifically POP Peeper, how is Gmail different than the other email accounts in POP Peeper as far as what you're describing :?:

Please be as specific as possible as to what your describing and what it is that seems different than before. In other words, in regards to the questions above, please explain in as much detail as possible exactly what it is that POP Peeper is doing different than before and what it is that you're currently doing (or have recently done) in regards to POP Peeper (FYI, POP Peeper will do a "Mail check" [check for "new" mail] based on the "interval" setting in "Mail check" which is what you are presumably referring to as a "scan")

Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Make sure that POP Peeper is set to store messages:
From the main menu, select Tools / Options
Select the "Storage" page
The "Storage" option should be set to "Entire message" (and not "None")
Roland

Post by Roland »

lakrsrool wrote:Hi Roland, if you can give us more information this would be helpful. (I'm sorry but I'm personally trying to clarify your situation as to what is occurring so I have a number of questions for you)

Has what your describing started subsequent to when you upgraded to v4 or did v4 appear to work OK for awhile therefore did not have the "problems" your describing for a while and then appear to not work as before sometime after you upgraded :?: I ask this because when first upgrading to v4 the first mail check may take longer, but this would only be for the first time hence thereafter mail checks should actually be faster.

Answer:Problem only appears after upgrade to version 4. Problem starts immediately after upgrading and is permanent since that time.

What type of accounts do you use? (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc) :?:

Answer : Yahoo, gmail, hotmail, gmx and internet provider mail

How are your email accounts setup? (i.e. Server type: "Gmail", "IMAP", "POP3" etc.) :?:

answer : gmail : server type : gmail. All others as POP3. None as IMAP

When you say "after a reboot", does this mean "starting POP Peeper" or does this mean "rebooting your computer" :?:

answer : by reboot I mean reboot of computer

What do you mean by "during a session"? Are you "exiting" and "starting" POP Peeper each time you us it :?:

answer : By during a session, I mean a windows session without reboot of windows. I don't exit and restart poppeeper each time I use it. The problem appears only at the first launch of poppeeper after windows boot, or after each restart of poppeeper in case I shut it down (i.e. exit completely poppeeper and launch it again) during my windows session.

When you refer to the terms "scans", "last download" and "each poppeeper start" (as defined in the topic title) are you in each case referring to a POP Peeper "Mail check" (in other words each time POP Peeper checks all accounts for "new" mail) and if not what exactly do you mean regarding each term :?:

answer : scans means mail check. Last download means last check. Each poppeeper start means launching poppeeper when it is not already in memory.

As to the "50 mail per page" setting in Gmail of which I'm presuming you're referring to the Google mail "Maximum page size" setting (by default it is set to "50"), this setting only applies to the Gmail client (has virtually nothing to do with POP Peeper), in other words when you login to Gmail on the web, Gmail will display 50 emails per page on the Internet website. I"m confused as to who this applies to POP Peeper as far as what your describing.

Answer : it has to do with poppeeper, as far as I understand it, because if I set gmail parameters on gmail site to display 50 mails per page, poppeeper displays a count of 1,2...50/50 when it checks gmail and if I set gmail to display 100 mails per page, poppeeper displays the count 1,2,3...100/100

In regards to specifically POP Peeper, how is Gmail different than the other email accounts in POP Peeper as far as what you're describing :?:

answer : the difference between gmail and other mail providers, is that poppeeper checks the number of mails that I set to be displayed in the gmail parameters on gmail site. The other mail accounts I have act differently in poppeeper, all the mails, even if there are thousands, are taken into account by poppeeper and recounted. In this case, when checking mailboxes, poppeeper displays for instance 1,2,3.../2150 if there are 2150 emails in a mail box.
I repeat, this very long checking appears during the first mail checking after the launching of poppeeper after a Windows reboot, or after exiting poppeeper and launching it again. The subsequent poppeeper mail checkings, auto or manual, during my work day don't suffer from this problem. In conclusion, if I exit poppeeper completely and launch it again, the problem appears again.

Please be as specific as possible as to what your describing and what it is that seems different than before. In other words, in regards to the questions above, please explain in as much detail as possible exactly what it is that POP Peeper is doing different than before and what it is that you're currently doing (or have recently done) in regards to POP Peeper (FYI, POP Peeper will do a "Mail check" [check for "new" mail] based on the "interval" setting in "Mail check" which is what you are presumably referring to as a "scan")

answer : this problem never appears in poppeeper version 3.x

Thanks.
Thank you for your care!!!
Roland

Post by Roland »

Jeff wrote:Make sure that POP Peeper is set to store messages:
The storage is set to Headers, as it was in poppeeper version 3.x
mjs

Post by mjs »

Roland wrote:
Jeff wrote:Make sure that POP Peeper is set to store messages:
The storage is set to Headers, as it was in poppeeper version 3.x
Roland, you will need to set the "Storage" option to "Entire message" just as Jeff has stated. When the "Storage" setting is set to "Headers" (or "None" as Jeff has referenced above) then the next time you exit and restart POP Peeper you will see as you described in your previous post, quote: "... when checking mailboxes, poppeeper displays for instance 1,2,3.../2150 if there are 2150 emails in a mail box...".

I had actually expected only the "None" setting (which is why I did a test) to have caused what you have described, but I've tested both settings ("Headers" & "Entire message") and found that the setting "Headers" will in-fact cause the email to re-queue (repopulate) to the inbox (same as "None") as opposed to the setting "Entire message" which does not cause this (which is what you want in this case). Oh and thanks for providing all that information. (Btw, I would assume the Pop Peeper default "Storage" setting to be "Entire message".)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for clarifying that point, lakrsrool.

The way that PP is designed, if you have set PP to only store "headers" then PP *may* have to retrieve the entire message each time after PP exits/restarts. There are 2 conditions:
1) The account's check mail process is set to "entire message" or "preview"
2) If the message is marked as unread in PP

So what does that mean? Let's say you've just started PP and since the "storage" option is set to "headers", that's what PP has loaded. Assuming that PP is set to retrieve "entire message" for the check mail process, PP will check the current read-status of each message to determine if PP should retrieve the entire message. If the message is marked as "read", then PP will NOT retrieve the entire message; but if the message is unread, then PP WILL retrieve the entire message.

If that's the case, then the easiest/recommended solution is to change the storage to "entire message." Alternatively, you can go to Tools / Options / Message Retrieval and change the 3 settings (POP3/WebMail/IMAP) to "headers" -- however, this can be overridden at the Account level, so you may should edit each account, select the "advanced" page and make sure the retrieval option is set to "default."