Does customize toolbar work and how to setup spam for delete

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

Does customize toolbar work and how to setup spam for delete

Post by techmanc »

Hi
Was trying to setup some custom buttons on the toolbar using the ones already in the program and they work fine but once pop peeper has be shut down the buttons disappear and have to keep re-adding them.
I am assuming they sticky settings but no clue why there not working. Tried reinstall and uninstall reinstall did not help.
The other question is how do I make my blacklisted email delete when read as I know a few addresses I like to set that way so dont need to keep deleted them when new ones arrive from the same source. TIA!
mjs

Re: Does customize toolbar work and how to setup spam for de

Post by mjs »

In regards to the buttons not sticking in the toolbar, Jeff will probably need to look into this for you.

What I can tell you is that the buttons should stick once they are moved to the toolbar and of course can them be moved around on the toolbar to where you want the button(s) located. If you have clicked the "Add" button then the button will be added to the toolbar and should stay. If this is of any help, I have 7 files (users should have 5-7 files depending upon setup as I understand) in the "Toobar" folder where POP Peeper is installed. For example, if you've installed POP Peeper in the default location then the "Toolbar" folder should be in C:\Program File\POP Peeper\Themes. There maybe an issue with the way POP Peeper was installed or perhaps a file setting issue in your case. As I said, Jeff will probably need to look into this further for you if "adding" a button to the toolbar does not stick in your case.

As to a blacklist, there is a blacklist (and whitelist) in the AntiJunk "Main interface". In the POP Peeper main interface go to "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Main interface" to get to a "Blacklist" where emails can be added. Btw, optionally there is also a way to just flag emails depending upon the Junk "score" which includes flagging the email to "trash" (in your inbox) so that you can then see the emails and can delete them appropriately in the event the email would then have the "trash" can icon in the "User flag" column (this way you're notified of the "Junk" emails to be deleted but can still be reviewed before deleting). This can be set in main POP Peeper main menu by going to "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Settings" > "Actions" tab where there are drop-down list(s) that include what I've described here based on the Junk "score".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm afraid I can't answer either question directly, as I have questions about both:

1) Are you saying that the custom graphic is not staying after you restart, or that the button itself is not staying? I suspect the latter and I suspect it's because your ini file may not be writable -- please let us know where your "Ini location" is stored under Tools / Options / Storage.

2) Can you clarify what exactly you're doing? When you blacklist an email address, it should also mark it as junk which will mark the message for deletion. Although, the behavior to mark for deletion can be changed -- Tools / AntiJunk -> Settings / Basic (or General)
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

When I Tool View Customize Toolbar it adds items but they disappear when I exit the program. It look like a new toolbar again and need to re add the customize buttons. That about as clear as I can explain it.
I know how to add email and domains to the blacklist and how to see my junk mail but I dont want to have to keep deleted them manually I want the to have a blacklisted domain emails automatically deleted with no further action on my part if I can do that using Pop Peeper
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For some reason, I thought you were referring to something else. Regardless, I still need to know the location of your ini file, as I suspect it's write-protected.

To automatically delete messages from senders in your blacklist:
1) From the main menu, select Tools / AntiJunk -> Main interface
2) Select "Black List" on the left
3) On the right-side, bottom-left, enable "Perform actions"
4) Enable the checkboxes for:
- Delete
- Mark read
5) Press OK
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

Jeff wrote:For some reason, I thought you were referring to something else. Regardless, I still need to know the location of your ini file, as I suspect it's write-protected.

To automatically delete messages from senders in your blacklist:
1) From the main menu, select Tools / AntiJunk -> Main interface
2) Select "Black List" on the left
3) On the right-side, bottom-left, enable "Perform actions"
4) Enable the checkboxes for:
- Delete
- Mark read
5) Press OK
Ok I was able to setup the blacklist for delete thanks.
The poppeeper.ini file was not write protected. I did not see and write protected files in the Pop Peeper folder either.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post in this topic the path location of both the "Ini location" and "Data path" that you see at the top of the interface. Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

lakrsrool wrote:Please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post in this topic the path location of both the "Ini location" and "Data path" that you see at the top of the interface. Thanks.

Ini location - C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini

Data path - C:\Users\Techman\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:Please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post in this topic the path location of both the "Ini location" and "Data path" that you see at the top of the interface. Thanks.

The problem is that your .ini file is in the "Program files" folder as explained in the link below (you presumably did not install in default location).

Refer to this topic CLICK HERE (do not scroll topic) and explicitly follow step by step the instructions provided by Jeff at this point in the topic except for STEP 4 where you'll make your custom tool bar changes and then in STEP 5 see if the tool bar changes are now retained after restarting POP Peeper.

Let us know if this solves your problem.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

lakrsrool wrote:
techmanc wrote:

The problem is that your .ini file is in the "Program files" folder as explained in the link below (you presumably did not install in default location).

Refer to this topic CLICK HERE (do not scroll topic) and explicitly follow step by step the instructions provided by Jeff at this point in the topic except for STEP 4 where you'll make your custom tool bar changes and then in STEP 5 see if the tool bar changes are now retained after restarting POP Peeper.

Let us know if this solves your problem.
I was able to move the poppeeperini file and program restarted with the new storage path using the new folder path but still was unable to keep toolbar changes once program had exited.
I did notice something else that at some point I had already changed the toolbar with different ones and once I did a reset it went to default icons that changed back to my current setup so the toolbar seems suck on that particular set of icons.
I had pop peeper for many years as I saw some email accounts with file dates going back to 2008 as I used this program that long so been added to my system since my Windows XP Pro 32bit days and using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I will post this now for more feedback.
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote: I did notice something else that at some point I had already changed the toolbar with different ones and once I did a reset it went to default icons that changed back to my current setup so the toolbar seems suck on that particular set of icons.
The "Reset" button in the Customize Toolbar window is for the purpose of resetting the toolbar back to the "default" toolbar (so the "Reset" button did what it is supposed to do). Have you been pressing the "Reset" button (see image below) with the idea that this is supposed to reset the toolbar to the changed setting so to speak?
Add Available Toolbar Buttons and position then Exit window.
Add Available Toolbar Buttons and position then Exit window.
If you want the toolbar to stay the way it is with the changed icons then do not press the "Reset" button. After changing your toolbar by adding the "Buttons" you want just "Close" the window. If you then "Exit" POP Peeper the toolbar should retain those changes.

If after exiting POP Peeper the Toolbar is still not retaining the buttons you've added then check once again to determine if the ".ini" file is "write protected". Right-click on the .ini file (where you moved it, the file name will be "pop peeper" and file type column will say "configuration settings"), then click "Properties" and make sure that the "Read-only" attribute is not checked (if it is checked then uncheck it and click "OK"). Also at the bottom of the "Properties" window, does it say anything about the file being blocked and allow you to unblock it? In other words, if you see an "Unblock" button then click on that button to "unblock" the file. Now make Toolbar changes and see if the changes hold after exiting POP Peeper.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

lakrsrool wrote:
techmanc wrote: I did notice something else that at some point I had already changed the toolbar with different ones and once I did a reset it went to default icons that changed back to my current setup so the toolbar seems suck on that particular set of icons.
The "Reset" button in the Customize Toolbar window is for the purpose of resetting the toolbar back to the "default" toolbar (so the "Reset" button did what it is supposed to do). Have you been pressing the "Reset" button (see image below) with the idea that this is supposed to reset the toolbar to the changed setting so to speak?
Customize Toolbar Window Reset.png
If you want the toolbar to stay the way it is with the changed icons then do not press the "Reset" button. After changing your toolbar by adding the "Buttons" you want just "Close" the window. If you then "Exit" POP Peeper the toolbar should retain those changes.

If after exiting POP Peeper the Toolbar is still not retaining the buttons you've added then check once again to determine if the ".ini" file is "write protected". Right-click on the .ini file (where you moved it, the file name will be "pop peeper" and file type column will say "configuration settings"), then click "Properties" and make sure that the "Read-only" attribute is not checked (if it is checked then uncheck it and click "OK"). Also at the bottom of the "Properties" window, does it say anything about the file being blocked and allow you to unblock it? In other words, if you see an "Unblock" button then click on that button to "unblock" the file. Now make Toolbar changes and see if the changes hold after exiting POP Peeper.
The poppeeper.ini file is not write protected. The reason I pressed the the reset button was to see if I was already using the default ones. I was not and they changed to them. Then when I exited Pop Peeper it had same toolbar I have now. The toolbar I have now was customized in the past apparently but it wont change now. I get the same toolbar no matter what I do I have now! Also the read the message of the day keeps reappearing after I read it with same message so somehow that not working right either.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I looked at permission on poppeeper.ini file and did seem right and I moved the ini file to my desktop which changed some permissions on it own.
I put poppeeper.ini file back and now with the changed permissions the file is writable and 2 problems I had are fixed so thanks for giving me the info to fix the problem. =D>
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The security features of Windows can certainly be a nuisance at times! Glad you got it working.