HTML rendering in POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: HTML rendering in POP Peeper

Post by Jeff »

Glad to know that that was the problem!

It's just by good timing that I suspected that may be the problem -- someone else had a report of crashing a couple weeks ago (although it was a different action that caused it then viewing an HTML message) that we determined to be a memory issue. In fact, in my tests, I'm able to squeeze out a few hundred more MBs of message data before a problem occurs. Certainly the amount of message data is the leading contributor, but there are other factors involved and I'm not quite sure what the "magic number" is -- that's why I could only give you a rough estimate of "1 GB" -- and, of course, that would be the overall size of all the databases and not necessarily from a single account.

I will take your suggestion under advisement, though. It would certainly be a good warning for an imminent problem.
ECourts

Post by ECourts »

I think the key factor here was the inconsistency - different crashes happening at different times in different places in the code. The only common denominator was viewing in HTML which clearly places particular pressure on the process.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, that's the problem with memory-related issues -- it's rather inconsistent. In my testing, it would usually crash when trying to download too much data (that was the key in the original problem I mentioned), but there were other times when I would try to do something and it would popup an "out of memory" prompt.