weird font display in Windows 10

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
pop_pepper

weird font display in Windows 10

Post by pop_pepper »

ok this might be just me as where i work we do a lot with graphics and fonts and i have over 5000 fonts installed on my PC,although not see this issue before.

having installed windows 10 yesterday some of my mail is showing some groovy text (not what i want) has anyone else had this or is it just me??
mjs

Re: weird font display in Windows 10

Post by mjs »

pop_pepper - to help clarify what it is that you're describing, can you please post a screenshot image example of what you're referring to?

For help to do this: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

hope that works
mjs

Post by mjs »

pop_pepper wrote:Image

hope that works
Thanks for the information, this is presumably a small portion captured from an email opened (read) from your PP inbox, correct?

What is your "Default message viewing preference" set at? (From the PP main menu, Go to "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" tab to determine this)

In this specific example which presumably is exactly what you see when reading the email from the PP inbox, have you determined whether the actual email in the Email Client inbox using your browser has this same font that is being displayed when reading the email in PP?

By logging directly into the Email client on the web that you got this same email from and reading that same email using your browser, check and see if this is how the email looks.

If the font is not the same (assuming the above has been read from PP inbox) can you please attach a screenshot of this same email from the Client email inbox using your browser that includes the same phrase (see instructions below)?

Once you've read the email using your browser that has this same phrase so that you can see this same phrase in the email from the Client email inbox on your computer monitor then do the following:

1) Press the two keys "alt+prt sc" at the same time, then open your "Paint" program and "Paste" into the "Paint" program ("Paste" function is in upper left of app), you will see what you saw on your monitor in the "Paint" program (which should contain the same phrase you've posted here).

2) Save as a "ping" file MAKING SURE YOU NOTE WHERE YOU SAVED THE FILE. You do this by clicking on the furthest upper left blue button of "Paint" program which will produce a drop-down menu, within that menu HOVER (do not click) your mouse over "Save as" then when the context menu displays toward the right, click on "Ping picture". Type in a "File name" you'll remember and again making note where you're saving the file so you can find it again (you'll see the file path in the "File Path" bar at the top of the "Save" window) then click on the "Save" button. (If instead of "hovering" your mouse over "Save as" but you instead CLICKED on "Save as" then in the "Save as" window click the down arrow in the "Save as type" option and select "PNG", type in a file name you'll remember again keeping in mind where you're saving the file so that you can find it again).

3) Post a reply here with this image file by clicking on "Post reply" in this topic and then click on the "Upload attachment" tab below where you post your reply text, "browse" to where you saved the "ping" file, then "select" the file (DOUBLE-CLICK) ON IT, then click "Add the file".

4) Place your cursor in the reply where you want to post the attached file and click on "Place inline". You're done, post the reply. Once posted in this topic you should then display the same email including the same phrase that you posted in the "Paint" program.

These steps are described in more detail in the link provided below, but I've tried to be more specific to provide more concise instructions hopefully.

pop_pepper, if the font is different when reading this same email in PP than it is in the actual email reading it in your browser and there is nothing in the email that you wouldn't mind me seeing then if you'd prefer to forward the entire email to me instead of going through the steps to attach it and post here you're welcome to forward this same email to a temporary email address that is good for the next two weeks: pop_peeper@tempemail.net (note that this email address is good for the next two weeks only)

For help to attach a screen shot of this email read from your browser do the following: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm still waiting for the Win10 upgrade, but I do have the Tech Preview installed and there is no font issue here. You may have changed the font to something that is no longer registered and it's trying to use something weird. To change it back --

When viewing a message, select Options / Select font; then tick the "reset to default" checkbox and press OK. If that doesn't fix it immediately, try closing and re-opening the message.

If you still have a problem, does the weird font only occur when viewing the message using a certain mode (plain, rich, html)?
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

hi all, been to busy to look at this but it seems its not an email but an RSS news feed and its the same font on all RSS feeds, have tried to go option font but its greyed out, any ideas??? as i said it might be my fault as we do a lot of graphics and when i installed windows 10 i installed all old fonts from previous work, however i didn't replace the fonts as i had skip set to not copy over deplicates.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The "Select font" option will be disabled if you're viewing the message in HTML. So that could mean that the RSS feed has specified a strange font in the HTML or it could mean that something is bad on your end.

What's the URL of the RSS feed and I'll check it out. Send the URL via PM if you want to keep it private.
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

its a mixtire of URL's about 10, all the same. I am guessing it must be my end. I am waiting for a friend to install windows 10 so i can take out the entire content for the fonts and replace them with just the fonts that are supposed to be in there, to be honest I don't know why i casually installed the entire folder of fonts when i could have easily had them sitting on a drive and waited for photoshop to flag the one i wanted as missing and then installed it. lesson learned i guess. Until i do this there not a lot i can say unless someone else gets windows 10 and has the same issue in the mean time.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I tried loading a couple RSS feeds in my Win10 preview and it looks normal to me.

Are you using POP Peeper v4.0.x or v4.1 beta? (it may make a difference)

Also, here's something else to test:
Open the RSS feed using Edge (the new IE), and then click on the "..." on the top-right and select "open with internet explorer" -- do you see the weird font or is everything normal? (btw, I'm not sure if "Edge" will actually have that option or not. It's available in my Win10 version but it's not called "Edge" it's still called "Project Spartan" so they may have changed things in the final release).
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

update : finally today i have been able to use Pop Peeper on a totally clean fresh install of Windows 10, all is working fine, the only issue i faced was updating the webmail plug in.... all RRS feeds look normal and working. So all in all it was a font issue. This time i haven't installed a load of fonts :mrgreen: =D>

thanks everyone for the help and suggestions
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear you got that resolved!
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

i did however pop peeper has decided it wants to start not responding and crashing :evil:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Try installing v4.1 beta, it has some fixes that may help. Download beta v4.1 beta 3:
http://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper-beta/