Won't mark as read on GoDaddy Webspace email

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ChrisPopPeeper

Won't mark as read on GoDaddy Webspace email

Post by ChrisPopPeeper »

I am trying to access my accounts on Go Daddy's servers and I can read and delete emails but when I open them to read them POP Peeper doesn't update the server showing them as read. I first tried changing the option to download headers only but that didn't help. When I open the account in Thunderbird and read a message, it updates GoDaddy's server but POP peeper won't. I have talked to Go Daddy and everything is working properly on their end and POP peeper works fine updating the gmail servers and others. Any ideas?
mjs

Re: Won't mark as read on GoDaddy Webspace email

Post by mjs »

IMAP support for synchronizing the read/unread state is not currently available in the POP Peeper (PP) production release however it is available in the current beta release if of course your accounts are using the IMAP protocol.

For more information on this refer to these links: Configuration Options and here in the Marked as read topic.

To have this feature available to you now, you're of course welcome to download the v4.1 beta version of PP.

To receive an email notification in order to be able to download the v4.1 beta version of PP simply follow the steps below:
1) From PP's main menu go to: "Tools" > "PPtweaker"
2) Click on the "Troubleshooting" tab
3) Enable (check) the "include beta versions when checking for updates" option
4) Click on OK --- Now in the main menu you can go to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper", Click on "Check version" which should give you a prompt for the current beta version.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ChrisPopPeeper

Post by ChrisPopPeeper »

I updated the option to include beta releases but I am getting an error "Invalid session 87 (Response 1701332732)
and it isn't showing the 4.1 beta....what to do?
mjs

Post by mjs »

That's an odd one, at what point are you getting this error? (that is, what are you doing when you get this error?)

What version of PP do you have?

Try exiting PP (right-click on PP icon in systray and select "Exit") and then restarting PP (click on PP shortcut icon if you have one or if not then click on "Pop Peeper" in Pop Peeper folder in programs list to start).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ChrisPopPeeper

Post by ChrisPopPeeper »

I get this error when I click "Check version" on the About window. I have version 4.0.1. I have stopped and started POP Peeper a few times.. I just tried it on my backup computer...same HP Laptop running Win 7 Ultimate and I get the same error. Can you just send me a download link for the update or shall I send you an error log. I forgot how to get the environment info for POP Peeper.. would that help?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

First, to address your original question -- are you accessing your GoDaddy accounts from POP Peeper using POP3 or IMAP? Edit the account and reference the "server type" to confirm. If it's using IMAP, then what you describe doesn't quite jive with how IMAP should work *, even if you're using POP Peeper v4.0.1, so I suspect you're using POP3. If you're using POP3, which does not support the concept of read/unread messages, then it's up to the server to determine how to handle it. Some servers may mark the message as read when the entire message is retrieved; other servers will not.

* - in PP v4.0.1, message retrieved using IMAP will become marked as read on the server when either a preview or entire message is retrieved (not necessarily when you actually read the message). If all you do is retrieve the header, then this will *not* change the read-status on the server until you open the message in PP (which will cause the entire message to be retrieved, thus causing the server to mark the message as read). In v4.1, the preferred method will not mark a message as read until you actually read the message; also, marking a message as read/unread from POP Peeper will affect the read-state on the server and vice-versa (v4.0.1 will not).

As for the problem you're having getting the beta -- that's very strange. Could you upload a screenshot of that so that we can see the context? Is the error in response to you pressing the "check version" button, or on the prompt that follows that?
ChrisPopPeeper

Post by ChrisPopPeeper »

Let's start at the beginning. I'm using POP Peeper Version 4.0.1

I'm using IMAP as you can see from the enclosed screen shot. I have two computers side by side. I put the Webspace email from Go Daddy up on one and access the account from the other. POP Peeper never changes the read status. I read about downloading headers only so I tried that. It still didn't work. I then called Go Daddy to see if it was a problem on their end. During the hour long troubleshooting session it occurred to me to try another email client so I set the account up on Thunderbird (IMAP again). Thunderbird updates the read status perfectly. POP Peeper doesn't regardless of whether I download headers only the first access or the entire message. Nothing changes on the server. By the way, we tested on both Firefox and Chrome in case the updating on the server was a visibility problem on the browser (which it turned out not to be)

I have just made screen shots that document all of this.

I am enclosing the one that shows the beta version download problem. I would prefer to send the others privately and I'm sending them to you at the support address.

By the way the beta version check occurs immediately after I click the "Check version" button. Nothing happens after that.

Chris
Attachments
Version check problem.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've answered your questions regarding the beta and actual read-state stuff via email.

Back to this invalid session error -- there must be something blocking POP Peeper's access to esumsoft.com as I also see that it says that the latest webmail version is v4.0.9; which was from March 11. So the problem probably occurred sometime between March 11 and March 26 (when v4.0.10 was released).

This will also prevent the checks for new versions and updates for webmail (as I'm sure you've discovered since you have a more recent version than what it says is the latest).

There is another way to check if PP has a valid connection to esumsoft.com which *may* provide more information: on the main menu, select File / Error overview and then press the "web test" button. It should respond with "server response: 200" and a timestamp.