How to delete auto-complete email addresses memory

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ohaaho

How to delete auto-complete email addresses memory

Post by ohaaho »

Since V4, PP memorizes email addresses used in any of the address fields (e.g. TO:, CC:). This would be ok if I never mistyped an address. Other misleading address proposals show the text (e.g. <Jeff Baker>) but not the email address behind. I assume sending to <Jeff Baker> would fail.
In short, after some time using PP V4 there is so much wrong text in this memory that I'd like to delete many of them. I've tried pressing SHIFT and DEL but this does not do the job.
Finally, is there an option where I can set this function to off because I'm using another auto complete tool (Phrase-Express)?
Can anyone help please? Thank you.
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from Email to Tech Support sub-forum for better attention.
mjs

Re: How to delete auto-complete email addresses memory

Post by mjs »

This is a new feature in PPv4, which is: whatever characters you type in the "To:" bar that matches the same characters in either the "Name" or "Email" values you have in your address file then what is in your address book respective to the specific email address will display in the "To:" drop-down list for you to more conveniently select an email address from your address book. So in this case were not talking about an "autocomplete" app as it is not a matter of "memory" or that it is "wrong" as the list of emails in the drop-down are the results of matching what you have in your address book file.

This is something that had been requested by a large number of PP users up until PPv4.

Refer to this (rather long) explanation that I posted in the past on this: CLICK HERE, also note Jeff's post subsequent to this.

Currently there is no way to disable this feature.

As to your using PhraseExpress, I would suspect this app does not apply in this case and if it does it's clearly not something that would serve you well because as you know email addresses are not at all representative of common phrases used which is what PhraseExpress is intended to be helpful with. I'm sure you can see the problem with an app of this nature when the fact of the matter is in the case of email addresses they can be very diverse. This is the very reason this app will not be very helpful in the case of Excel for example (which I'm sure you've probably got this app disable for, which as noted below is an option available in PhraseExpress because of the obvious need to do so in some cases which is covered in more detail further down) which because of the very nature of Excel it is understandable why the "Autocompletion" of common phrases (or spell correction for that matter) is actually counterproductive.

As to your comment - quote:
Other misleading address proposals show the text (e.g. <Jeff Baker>) but not the email address behind. I assume sending to <Jeff Baker> would fail.
Actually it would not fail (unless of course PhraseExpress is creating an "overlap" issue which I frankly doubt since in this case we are dealing with a drop-down list however, if you continue to read below you'll find you can disable PhraseExpress for PP presumably), in this case I would presume that the characters you've typed are matching what is in the "Name" field of your address file which is why that is all that displays. Rest assured that by clicking on this selection it will pull up the email address that you have on file for Jeff Baker in this case.

I mentioned in my post linked above that one can elect to only enter email addresses in their address book (not names) if they so choose that would eliminate what your describing above (just the name displaying in the drop-down) but then the user would always need to recall the email address for Jeff Baker for example and as you know Jeff Baker could very well have a somewhat esoteric email address such as JB901@whatever.com or might even be support@whatever.com which you may not recall very well in regards to Jeff Baker at all and thus would not get prompted for the correct address for Jeff Baker in the drop-down list in the case of only entering the email address in your address book.

As to how much PhraseExpress may be complicating or overlapping this feature in PPv4, while I doubt this is an issue I can't really say but if you CLICK HERE regarding PhraseExpress you will find (scroll down to near the bottom of the page) that you can conveniently disable it for any specific app of your choice quote: "While PhraseExpress can be used across any application, you can opt to disable for specific applications. For example, you may want to disable it on your messaging application while keeping it enabled in Oulook." I would also surmise that PhraseExpress will very often produce unwanted phrases over time that you're likely to have to select and delete as a result of unintended phrases being typed. This maybe the very reason that the "AutoComplete" feature was discontinued as of Word 2007 (except for dates). I personally use a similar but much simpler app for spell-checking and I find the need to disable it for many of my apps that already provide this function (as it turns out my "Tinyspell" spell-checker is very helpful for notepad but since apps either already have this function builtin in many cases which causes overlap or in many cases it's simply not that helpful, I've got it disabled for most apps). So I would suggest that you consider disabling PhraseExpress for PP which might be helpful regarding any possible overlap that may possibly be occurring.

Bottom line: The conclusion regarding this feature is that the advantages that this feature provides to PP is something that has first of all been asked for by many users and second of all presumably far outweighs the arguably less problematic drawbacks. In the majority of cases, people who have a need to use an address book will typically have a relatively large number of email address they deal with and therefore must recall which is the very reason this feature is helpful in these cases. On the other hand, if a person has a small number that can be recalled easily there is very little need for an address book in the first place in those cases. It is arguably for these reasons that so many users have suggested the addition of this feature in PP.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: How to delete auto-complete email addresses memory

Post by Jeff »

The addresses used by auto-complete are in POP Peeper's address book. So you can access the address book ("Addresses" on the main toolbar) to edit or delete anything that is incorrect.