Activesync (EAS)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
cloq

Activesync (EAS)

Post by cloq »

Please consider implementing activesync (Exchange ActiveSync).

It has some very convenient end user features (auto fetching contacts for instance when composing emails). Always have the need to send a quick email but don't necessarily remember funky email address with numbers and weird spellings.

Appreciate your great program.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Activesync (EAS)

Post by Jeff »

This family of protocols comes up for suggestion every few years, going back to the original ActiveSync which has been obsolete for 8 years. So I had to brush up on the technology and here's the short list:
ActiveSync/WebDAV: officially discontinued in 2009 (after a couple of years of being unofficially unsupported)
DeltaSync: Started in 2007 as the replacement for WebDAV. I *think* it's still active? But the Outlook connector has been discontinued for EAS.
Exchange ActiveSync (EAS): whatever.

In any case, all these protocols have been proprietary to Microsoft products, and other products aren't licensed to use them. There may be free/open-source projects that reverse-engineered the protocol. As for EAS, according to the wiki, it states "Microsoft licenses the technology" -- I don't have to do any further research to know that it would not be practical/affordable for POP Peeper to support it.

That being said, if all you want is access to contacts, there's another open protocol called LDAP, which is better suited, although I have no idea if your Exchange server would support it (Outlook supports LDAP, so one would assume Exchange would support it, too). That being said, I don't want to give you any false hope -- LDAP has been in my notes for a very long time and there's no plans to include it in the foreseeable future. You would be better off importing your addresss book into POP Peeper.
cloq

Post by cloq »

I can understand your point about proprietary tech and licensing.

I was hoping things would have changed by now.

What are your thoughts on carddav (assuming it is feasible)?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I wasn't previously familiar with carddav. Having read just the wiki, my initial reaction is that it may be better suited than ldap and *may* have wider support. I actually don't know what support ldap has, but the carddav wiki mentions many services that support it, most notably GMail; unfortunately, other major email services like Hotmail and Yahoo are absent from the list.
cloq

Post by cloq »

Would be awesome if you could fit carddav in to your idea list.. [-o<

Seems Yahoo supports carddav. Yahoo KB
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That definitely makes it more intriguing. At this point, I'm wrapping v4.1 up (it's already much later than I was hoping) and I have made no plans for the next version, or even whether it will be v4.2 or v5.0.