Pop peeper cannot "see " outlook mail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
willandrip

Pop peeper cannot "see " outlook mail

Post by willandrip »

Hi; new member here.

Windows 8.1 64 bit.
Email client is Outlook.com.
Pop peeper v.3.8 ?

Have installed v 3.8 and latest v4 over 20 times to try to cure this fault.
Each uninstall is via Revo uninstaller so is THOROUGHLY deleted and also various registry cleaners utilised.
There is absolutely no trace of old installation at each new installation attempt.

Pop peeper has worked faultlessly for previous 12 mths since initial install.

3 days ago deleted cookies from computer in order to speed up closing of browser.

Pop peeper appeared to fail at or around this time.

The programme can access the email address but is unable to show any inbox messages.
Both new and existing messages are present but pop peeper shows no mail or new mail notification.

I have installed other email notification subsequently that operate perfectly.

I know the peeper is able to reach the account as if I change any of the account settings or password then the error box
shows the error message. With the correct settings it contacts the client but just does not show any messages.

The Outlook account is working perfectly and logging in/out both manually and automatically has been attempted to attempt to clear this fault.
spc3rd

Re: Pop peeper cannot "see " outlook mail

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the PP Forums, willandrip!

You present and interesting issue and thanks for the additional detailed info! To get started, please post back with the following info:

1. What version of PP are you using?

2. Confirm all plugins are up-to-date.
(For questions 1 & 2. Open PP > [HELP] > About PopPeeper. In your next post, please include all information shown there. You can also simply include a screenshot of the page. Instructions for doing so can be found HERE. This will provide us with the specific version info & plugins info we need to know.

3. How are you accessing the account? (Hotmail/Outlook, POP3, or IMAP)
[Click on the account in Account List > [EDIT] > [GENERAL TAB]. Look at what the "SERVER TYPE" is]

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
willandrip

Post by willandrip »

As stated in the first post;

Both the last two versions have been used.

NEITHER WORK.
BOTH DISPLAY the same symptoms.

I have not used plug ins previously....non have been required or installed.

There is only one way to access the email client.
Hotmail/MSM/Live.

No other server type works.

The connection is and always has been via a 3 (internet access provider) dial up dongle.
Using IMAP or any other setting will not work with this means of access.
The setting in pop peeper has been changed from;
Dial up.
Presume always on line.....
Blar ,blar, blar.
Only using dial up connction tick box works.
This has been always the case since installation.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

willandrip wrote:As stated in the first post;

Both the last two versions have been used.

NEITHER WORK.
BOTH DISPLAY the same symptoms.

I have not used plug ins previously....non have been required or installed.

There is only one way to access the email client.
Hotmail/MSM/Live.

No other server type works.

The connection is and always has been via a 3 (internet access provider) dial up dongle.
Using IMAP or any other setting will not work with this means of access.
The setting in pop peeper has been changed from;
Dial up.
Presume always on line.....
Blar ,blar, blar.
Only using dial up connction tick box works.
This has been always the case since installation.
Thanks for posting back.

I'm aware you tried two versions, however, to adequately address the issue you are presenting, we need to know the specific version you are using right now.

* - I will contact Jeff and ask him to review your topic here.

Regards,
Global Moderator
willandrip

Post by willandrip »

Additional information.

Have just updated to the latest version 4 .

This is the 8th time of attempting to use the upgrade to rectify this fault.

ALL plug ins selected at upgrade.

Renewed account.

The connection type is now IMAP by default.

The server test reveals.
server 1...Unknown host
server 2. Bad connection.

AS stated.. the only connection type that connects is MSM/Hotmail /Live.
willandrip

Post by willandrip »

I have that much experience of deleting/updating this app.
that I can now delete/update it and create /delete a new account virtually instantaneously.

Neither the penultimate or the very latest version work.

Both show exactly the same symptoms.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Much obliged for the additional info, willandrip!

I have contacted Jeff and asked him to review your topic/issue here, as he may need more information to ascertain what's causing your issue, particularly given your location and your PP program is using dial-up. He should be dropping by the forum later today. You can check back periodically here, or click on the {Subscribe topic] button at the bottom of the page, to be notified of any replies to your topic.

Please note: The Board will only send one notification of a reply, until you log-in to the Forums again.

We'll get you up and running!

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Make sure that you have POP Peeper v4.0.1 AND Webmail v4.0.18.

WebMail v4.0.18 was released on Aug 6 to fix the problem with Hotmail accounts returning 0 messages.

First upgrade to POP Peeper v4. Then, go to Help / About and it may not have updated WebMail v4.0.18 yet, so do the following:
- Make sure that both "automatically check for new versions" and "auto-update webmail plugin" on the bottom-right are enabled
- Press the "Check Version" button
-> The webmail update should update to v4.0.18; you may need to restart POP Peeper
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

btw, this is for server type = "Hotmail/Outlook" not IMAP, although there's really no reason why IMAP shouldn't work unless you have the settings incorrect.

Also, if you have MSN/Hotmail/Live, then you're using a very old version that's not going to work.
willandrip

Post by willandrip »

Jeff wrote:Make sure that you have POP Peeper v4.0.1 AND Webmail v4.0.18.

WebMail v4.0.18 was released on Aug 6 to fix the problem with Hotmail accounts returning 0 messages.

First upgrade to POP Peeper v4. Then, go to Help / About and it may not have updated WebMail v4.0.18 yet, so do the following:
- Make sure that both "automatically check for new versions" and "auto-update webmail plugin" on the bottom-right are enabled
- Press the "Check Version" button
-> The webmail update should update to v4.0.18; you may need to restart POP Peeper

Thank you for your help Jeff.
This has cured the problem.

What was the cause of this in the initial instance. ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

willandrip wrote: .... What was the cause of this in the initial instance. ?
My guess is that the cause was probably due to the following:
Jeff wrote:.... it may not have updated WebMail v4.0.18 yet....
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
willandrip

Post by willandrip »

lakrsrool wrote:

I gathered that.

I was more interested to know why it was required.
The programme worked perfectly up until 6th.

Was something altered in the 3.8 version I originally installed or was something updated in the Outlook mail ?

Or was it because through deleting the cookies on the machine that the password details were lost and once re-entered the old v3.8 version was no longer viable as it had been superceded ?

Would the old 3.8version have continued to run faultlessly if the cookies had not been cleared ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

willandrip wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:

I gathered that.

I was more interested to know why it was required.
The programme worked perfectly up until 6th.

Was something altered in the 3.8 version I originally installed or was something updated in the Outlook mail ?

Or was it because through deleting the cookies on the machine that the password details were lost and once re-entered the old v3.8 version was no longer viable as it had been superceded ?

Would the old 3.8version have continued to run faultlessly if the cookies had not been cleared ?
In a nutshell as to your question "... why it was required" -- It was required because around 8/6/15 Microsoft (MS) made changes to their Email Client protocols that caused the Pop Peeper "webmail plugin" (necessary to interface between MS email server protocol and Pop Peeper) to need to be updated by Jeff, the Developer of Pop Peeper (PP), in order to accommodate this recent change made by MS. Any time a change is made by any of the Email Clients i.e. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc etc this can potentially impact how Pop Peeper (PP) works in regards using the PP webmail "Server Type" setting and in these cases the "webmail plugin" will invariably need to be updated by Jeff for PP to work properly.

So, no it wasn't "something altered in the 3.8 version" of PP, but on the other hand, yes it was "was something updated in the Outlook mail", so to speak.

Now to elaborate more on this including in regards to your other questions:

No, I don't believe the issue could have anything at all to do with clearing out your cookies. Cookies would have nothing to do with PP failing to populate your PP inbox with mail.

As to "password details", your issue was not related to password settings since as you know you posted the following (at the top of the topic):
The programme can access the email address but is unable to show any inbox messages.
Both new and existing messages are present but pop peeper shows no mail or new mail notification.
.... so ultimately the specific problem consisted of email not getting displayed in Pop Peeper (PP) successfully. Again, this is because Microsoft (MS) changed something in their proprietary email protocol for their email interface that caused this issue in PP for accounts using "hotmail, outlook, live" etc "Server Type" settings requiring Jeff to update the Webmail plugin to deal with this change by MS. The webmail plugin is what provides the interface between these MS email accounts and PP that use the webmail protocol setting in PP and will continue to work successfully up until one or more of the Email Clients might make changes to their webmail protocol procedures. It was just coincidental that your cleared your cookies about the same time MS apparently made changes to their webmail protocol necessitating an update of the PP webmail plugin to solve this issue of "0 messages" in MS webmail accounts.

If you CLICK HERE to open the POP Peeper Plugins page and scroll down to the bottom of this page in regards to WEBMAIL PLUGINS you'll see the following under "Version History":
v4.0.18 (Aug 06, 2015) - Hotmail/Outlook.com: Fixed issue with Hotmail accounts reporting 0 messages
Your accounts are apparently all "Hotmail/Outlook" type of accounts in PP and as you can see the issue regarding "Hotmail accounts reporting 0 messages" did start occurring about the time you've said you have had the problem of not getting "inbox messages". And of course you were not the only PP user that had this issue there were others that have MS webmail accounts that were experiencing this same issue that you were having at which time Jeff quickly applied the update to the Webmail plugin to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
willandrip

Post by willandrip »

Well done to Jeff the developer and for this forum members for aid and explanations.

Bad karma to "coincidence".....it causes no end of grief.

Thank you for the reply.