GMail ok, PP not recognising

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
arcadian

GMail ok, PP not recognising

Post by arcadian »

Hi

Having a new problem with one GMail account, remaining 12 just fine. I can log into my GMail account ok but when I try entering into PP it keeps rejecting it....?

Login Error ([ALERT] Application-specific password required: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Failure)
mjs

Re: GMail ok, PP not recognising

Post by mjs »

You are probably using the "Gmail" Server type setting, in the event you happen to have 2-step verification enabled which would appear to be the case based on your error, then POP Peeper will not be able to use the "GMail" protocol therefore in this case you must either disable 2-step verification or use either "POP3" or "IMAP" protocol with this 2-step verification enabled as it is.

If you prefer to use the "Gmail" Server type setting then did you try the "Turn off 2-step verification" option in the Gmail link provided in that error message you posted?

To do this, click on the link pointed out in the image below and follow the instructions provided by Gmail to see if this helps.
Click on link and follow steps provided to turn off 2-step verification
Click on link and follow steps provided to turn off 2-step verification
Gmail 2 step verify.png (15.82 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
In general, the two-step Verification will sometimes require an additional verification code most often when logging in from any unfamiliar locations or devices. Once this requirement is triggered it will usually remain in place under those circumstances until the additional verification is provided. You're most likely not interested in the 2-step verification anyway so I'd try just disabling this option.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
arcadian

Re: GMail ok, PP not recognising

Post by arcadian »

Great thanks :D !

GMail confusing things as usual in the first place, you need a degree to understand it all and then if you're lucky.... :evil: