Thank you for PP v4.1.0.2003

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Moshe

Re: Thank you for PP v4.1.0.2003

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much. We're truly grateful for your work. =D>

Serenity now? :)

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: I re-confirmed that beta3 works as expected when idle is engaged. It's possible that idle isn't actually engaged, even if it's enabled in the account settings (for example, idle won't engage if the account is disabled or auto-check is disabled). However, I did not follow the code to see *why* it worked in that case so there may be some other reason.
OK, that explains it, I was using my PP TEST INI FILE to check this scenario out (empty inbox needed) and of course for this I have "auto-check" disabled. And of course, based on the scenario description in this case I did not have "Auto check" enabled since a "Mail check" was the next step after deleting the email message in the Email Clients inbox on the web.

Thanks Jeff for pointing this out, I had assumed a manual "Mail Check" should update the PP inbox and remove the email deleted in the Gmail Clients (source) accounts inbox regardless of whether IDLE is engaged (which for PP is understandably only engaged if "auto-check" is enabled). So then "auto-check" does not only engage "Mail check" based on the accounts "polling interval" setting but also allows for IDLE to be engaged as well at the time the function occurs.

I'm assuming that the reason for this (IDLE not engaged without "auto-check" enabled) is based on the concept that if the user has not enabled "auto-check" the user would also not want any "real-time" Client Mail inbox results pushed to the PP inbox since without "auto-check" enabled "Mail Checks" would only result when requested manually by the user.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff, in the beginning Moshe had another question:
Moshe wrote:
With your permission, another question:
I'm waiting for a Windows Classic Look theme to be developed for Windows 10.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p764058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Windows 7 I still have IE 8 installed. I don't like Clear Type, and later versions of IE don't have an option to disable it.
I hardly use IE, but I regularly use PP (:)) and PP uses IE.

If and when I upgrade to Windows 10, does PP use Edge (I don't know if it has an option to disable Clear Type)? Cam I set PP to use IE 8?

Thank you.
All I had to say about this is the following:
lakrsrool wrote:
... Oh btw, as to your other questions, it is again best to wait for Jeff regarding these other questions but it is my understanding that you would not be able to "set PP to use IE 8" specifically since what IE "emulation" PP uses is controlled by PP. In regards to IE versus Edge, I would surmise that for now at least PP will continue to use IE. As to whether this will change only Jeff can answer that.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks for reminding me (and Jeff :)) about the second question.
I didn't see your reference to that issue before (thank you!). I suppose your post was edited.

Best regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Microsoft has left IE compatibility in Win10. I *still* only have the tech preview (am I the only one with Win10 reserved but still waiting?), where it's called Project Spartan instead of Edge, but one of the options available is to open the current web page in IE. But I digress...

One of the features added in PP v4.1 is you can set the IE compatibility (well, it's done automatically, but you can fine-tune it, if you really want/need to). So, yes, you can force it to IE8; however, up until v4.1, it was basically forced to IE6 so that may or may not do what you want anyway.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. That's great.
If and when I update, I'll contact you again and ask about the "fine-tuning".

Best regards.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Jeff,

I suppose you're aware of the option.
Just in case: Force Download Windows 10 Free Upgrade Right Now.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Moshe wrote:Jeff,

I suppose you're aware of the option.
Just in case: Force Download Windows 10 Free Upgrade Right Now.
From what I understand, as a result of responding to the "invite" to "reserve" a WIN10 install Jeff has had the WIN10 APP installed which checks for upgrade status. Based on what Windows is saying: at that time when this WIN10 APP is installed then users will receive their notification to upgrade once Windows can confirm the users computer is ready to upgrade. Windows looks at the specific compatibility for the users computer and overall demand for WIN10 in regards to deciding when and if a computer is ready to upgrade. Windows states that they are rolling the upgrades out in phases to manage high demand and to make sure that a users upgrade is right for their computer. Users may not have received a notification to Upgrade to WIN10 OS because Windows is most likely still working on specific compatibility issues in regards to the users specific computer, or it could possibly be because of the overall volume of devices upgrading to Windows 10. Presumably a users upgrade notification will arrive at which time their computers device is ready to upgrade. Users can check the status of their respective upgrade at any time with the WIN10 APP (see below for details about this).

To be more specific overall, this is how I understand the manner in which the free WIN10 upgrades are done (for those interested in the details) and why it's recommend to wait for an "invite" from Windows to install Windows 10.....

To reiterate, as of the time when WIN10 is "reserved" as in the case of Jeff presumably that results in the install of the WIN10 APP then at that point Windows will only say that the WIN10 upgrade download is available when Windows determines that compatibility issues with other installed apps including driver issues etc. have been resolved for that specific computer. That is, once "reserved" which is when the following KB update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) will be installed on the Windows 7 and/or 8.1 computer which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. This KB3035583 update installs a WIN10 APP in either Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1 at which time Windows continues to update their WIN10 OS using this WIN10 APP to regularly review (check on) software on various qualified (see below) OS's to determine what Windows needs to resolve up until a "safe" install is available and then once this is accomplished only then will the "invite" to download the WIN10 install be sent out. As mentioned above there are OS requirements before even an "invite" to "upgrade" is sent out that is only Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) qualify for a free windows 10 upgrade. WIN7 Starter, Home Base and Home Premium become WIN10 Home WIN7 Professional, Ultimate becomes WIN10 Pro. As expected WIN8.1 becomes WIN10 Home and WIN8.1 Pro becomes WIN8.1 Pro of course. Also it should be pointed out that volume License customers running Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 8.1 Enterprise or volume license editions of Windows 7 Professional or Windows 8.1 Pro do not qualify for this offer so a request to "reserve" will not be sent presumably.

So the way I see it, while a forced download of WIN10 is possible as pointed out here however; in the event a user has actually been invited to "reserve" and does so at which time the KB3035583 update is installed, it's still very highly recommended to wait for the WIN10 APP (KB3035583) to "decide" when it is best to actually install the WIN10 OS at which time the user will then receive the "OK" to download the WIN10 OS install. Even if Windows ultimately deems it "safe" to upgrade to WIN10 there will inevitably be software compatibility issues most likely involving drivers so by forcing an install, unless Windows does a good job of checking out issues at the time, this can potentially create so many more issues that it can be potentially overwhelming to the user. I had received an "invite" to "reserve" my WIN10 very quickly but was way behind in updates therefore did not actually receive my WIN10 OS download "invite" until the point when I had done an update to my WIN7 at which time the WIN10 APP (KB30335583) via the "reserve" determined that I qualified for the WIN10 OS download, prior to that I had not received the "invite" to install.

On a personal note, once I downloaded the installer I still did not want to actually install as I prefer to remain with WIN7 for possibly up to the time when it is no longer supported since I like WIN7 very much and am not that excited about WIN10 anyway. But of course the WIN10 APP (KB3035583) has other functions unfortunately, that is to continually remind the user to install the OS upgrade that at that time resides in the Windows Update utility so with that in mind I had a heck of a time suppressing the constant annoying reminders to upgrade to WIN10 that the WIN10 APP kept sending me all the time. First of all, I had to "hide" the WIN10 OS install update in Windows Update and then had to disable several processes that had to be done from an elevated command prompt that this WIN10 APP runs all the time before I could finally stop the incessant "Windows 10 Upgrade" POP-UP reminders that are generated from the WIN10 APP systray icon. One would think that Windows would provide the user with an option to delay, but as I understand it, windows is in a hurry to get as many WIN10 OS's installed as quickly as possible in order to promote the new upgrade.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To be honest, I hadn't bothered to look into why I hadn't gotten the update yet as I'm really not really looking forward to upgrading anyway :) I didn't reserve Win10 until pretty late, so I'm guessing that's why I'm farther down in the queue. I suppose a driver incompatibility could be a possibility, too.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I didn't "reserve" until after you did Jeff which was after you had mentioned this to me and in my case I received the go ahead to download the install within just a few days soon after I had done a relatively massive Windows Update (thinking that I'd better do this at the time for obvious reasons) since I had not done one for some time. As you know I then downloaded the install of which I then had to go to some extent to stop the Windows popup reminders to install the WIN10 upgrade that resides in Windows Update.

So it would appear to be more than just a timing thing actually, are your Windows Updates current? If so then I suppose compatibility issues would be the reason for the delay perhaps unless possibly the worldwide queues are inconsistently impacted by region in regards to when requests are logged and in that case maybe your region is more backlogged than others including mine which might explain why I've received the upgrade but you still haven't.

Not to worry of course as you've still got nearly a year (until July 29th 2016 to be exact) during which the free upgrades are supposed to continue to be offered (probably will extend passed that actually).
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks for interesting info.

Best regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ah, so there really *is* a conspiracy against me; good to know. Not sure what drivers I would have that might cause a problem; the only things I can think of are my motherboard drivers and a usb tv tuner (which is old and I doubt will be getting any updates anyway). I wonder if there's a way to find out why Windows 10 doesn't want to upgrade...? And, yes, my Windows updates are current. If I start Windows Update, all it tells me is: "Windows 10 upgrade reserved. We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC." Then there's a "learn more" button which, of course, results in a "we are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found" (same thing happens on the menu items from the obnoxious windows 10 tray icon)

So I decided to do a quick "why haven't I gotten windows 10 yet" search and quickly found that you can download the iso through official means, which I would actually prefer over doing the upgrade anyway. This way it may be easier for me to figure out if I can use one of the other product keys I have so that I can keep my Win7 key (it's a retail, non-OEM license, which I think means that I could go back to Win7, but I'm not really sure and I have *no* plans on going back to win8 so using that key would be ideal).

Download Windows 10:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

That's great.
Please keep updating.

Best regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, at this point, I've downloaded and installed Win10 in a Virtual Machine. This, at least, allows me to run Win10 release instead of the Preview I had been using.

However... it surprisingly allowed me to install and run Win10 without even entering a license key (I've noticed some things are disabled because of that, but I think I can still use it). I'm still hesitant to enter my Win8 license because I don't understand all the ramifications (ie. if I use my license key in the VM, will I be able to later re-install Win10 as my primary OS using the Win8 license?).

If you know of a good resource/forum where I can find out this kind of thing, please let me know!
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

From my experience, the WindowsSevenForums is good.
Please note the links to the Eight Forum and the Ten Forum.

Good luck. :)
SevenForum.PNG
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Great, thanks Moshe. The domain and site look familiar, so I've probably used their resources a number of times before. I'll look into my issue this weekend.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

My pleasure.
Have a nice weekend.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hmmm, not good. LINK: You can rollback quote "to your previous Windows installation as long as you do so within 30 days of upgrading". :(
What happens to my previous Windows installation? What is the Windows.old folder?

When you upgrade to Windows 10, your existing Windows installation will be backed up in the Windows.old folder on the root of your C drive. This is used to allow you to revert back to your previous Windows installation as long as you do so within 30 days of upgrading. I've seen posts from one or two people who have had issues rolling back to their previous Windows installation, which is why I recommended making a system image.
Boy, am I seeing loads of problems (compatibility issues) with WIN10 at this stage i.e. since I use Avast AV I found this perusing the Avast forum this morning.: lost access to the start menu completely using Avast and a "boat load" more of issues just superficially browsing through similar Windows links. #-o

I can see why delays remain for some to get the install, but of course I'd be facing this issue myself regardless since I was cleared by Windows for my WIN10 install which is presumably based on "driver" compatibility issues for the most part as opposed to more specific "smaller detail" software "interface" issues like this.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for Beta4. Works like a charm.

Best regards.