Thank you for PP v4.1.0.2003

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Moshe

Thank you for PP v4.1.0.2003

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

I hope you're doing well.

Thank you for PP v4.1.0.2003. Great work as always.

Could you please try the following steps?
(My Gmail account is set to IMAP.)

Send a message to yourself.
Check mail in PP.
Enter your Gmail account in your browser.
Delete the sent message in the browser.
Check mail in PP.

Result: the message is still displayed in PP Inbox.

I reinstalled v4.1.0.2002; - works as expected.
I've tried to run v4.1.0.2003 with Imap.dll 2002, but PP crashed.

With your permission, another question:
I'm waiting for a Windows Classic Look theme to be developed for Windows 10.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p764058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Windows 7 I still have IE 8 installed. I don't like Clear Type, and later versions of IE don't have an option to disable it.
I hardly use IE, but I regularly use PP (:)) and PP uses IE.

If and when I upgrade to Windows 10, does PP use Edge (I don't know if it has an option to disable Clear Type)? Cam I set PP to use IE 8?

Thank you.
mjs

Re: Thank you for PP v4.1.0.2003

Post by mjs »

Moshe wrote:
Could you please try the following steps?
(My Gmail account is set to IMAP.)

Check mail in PP.
Check mail in PP.

Until Jeff looks into this I thought I'd test your scenario.

And of course your Gmail accounts in both the Gmail Client (on the web) and in PP are set to IMAP which is what I've done to test your scenario above.

What I find following the steps you described above is that it works for me with PP v4.1.0.2003 as it should, the message that was in PP is removed from the PP inbox for that account on the next PP "Mail Check" after deleting the message in Gmail using the browser as expected.

So you're not getting a PP error on that specific account when doing the PP "Mail Check" subsequent to deleting the email message using your Gmail Client account on your browser? (a PP error could prevent the "Mail Check" from displaying messages in the PP inbox properly)

Do you have any other accounts in PP other than this Gmail account that do work as expected? That is doing this same thing the message is removed from the PP inbox as expected or are all your accounts not removing messages in the PP inbox after deleting the messages in the accounts on the web using your browser?

OK, so after PP does a "Mail Check" for a specific account the results are that a specific "new" email message is displayed in the PP inbox for that specific account (which would mean PP is able to process the "new" email message properly and display it in the PP inbox hence all works as expected) so we know PP is processing mail correctly. In the knowledge that PP is processing mail correctly, I'm frankly at a loss as to how that when this same specific "new" email message is subsequently deleted (removed) from that "Gmail accounts" inbox on the web and then after that PP does another "Mail Check" that same "deleted" email message for that specific "Gmail account" somehow continues to remain in the PP inbox; when the fact of the matter is all a PP "Mail Check" does is display the messages that currently exist in the "Gmail Clients" inbox on the web at the time which in this case the specific deleted message no longer exists in the "Gmail Clients" inbox.

Are you certain you are "deleting" the email message in the Gmail Account using your browser on the web? That is using the "trash can" icon and the message is removed from the "Gmail Clients" inbox on the web?

I ask the above because if you are using "Inbox tabs" in your Gmail account (default has 3 tabs, "Primary", "Social" and "Promotions") and move a message to another "Inbox tab" (for example from the "primary" tab to another tab) then that message will no longer display in the tab it was before hence appear "removed" but will still display in the tab it was moved to yet not display unless your on that specific tab the message was moved to so even though the message does not display in the tab you'd be on from which you moved the message from where it was originally the message will still be seen by PP as an inbox message in the tab the message was moved to. Just thought I'd mention this in case this could be causing any confusion (probably my explanation is the only thing that is confusing).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thank you for testing the issue and for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

Reading your post, I reinstalled v4.1.0.2003 intending to check it with a different account.
I checked it first with the same account and, lo and behold, all is well.

Before posting yesterday, I checked both v4.1.0.2003 and v4.1.0.2002 at least ten times and the results were consistently as reported.
Any idea?

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're very welcome Moshe, I'm happy to hear PP is finally working again. :D

I have no explanation since "new" email messages that arrive were getting displayed in the PP inbox which would tell us there wasn't a problem with PP connecting and accessing mail at the time and if so then PP would also be able to "see" that an email when "deleted in the Client Email program was no longer in the "Client Email" inbox when "checking" mail as well and therefore these "deleted" email messages wouldn't be displayed in the inbox as a result.

If PP were not displaying the "new" email messages as the arrive as well as displaying messages that shouldn't be in the PP inbox that are deleted then that would be a different story, but "new" mail was showing up in PP, so you've got me as to what was going on. :?

Now I suppose there is a remote chance that if for that account you were NOT using IMAP but instead using "Gmail" for your "Server type" and you were using an old version of the webmail plugin then that could possibly have been causing a problem but this was not the case here as I understand it since you were using IMAP. But that said, to be perfectly honest considering that in this specific case PP was not removing "new" messages from the PP inbox after being deleted on the Email Client side that actually did reach the PP inbox originally remains baffling to me as to how this would be the case even in this scenario actually.

Maybe Jeff will have an idea regarding this mystery.

Oh btw, as to your other questions, it is again best to wait for Jeff regarding these other questions but it is my understanding that you would not be able to "set PP to use IE 8" specifically since what IE "emulation" PP uses is controlled by PP. In regards to IE versus Edge, I would surmise that for now at least PP will continue to use IE. As to whether this will change only Jeff can answer that.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks again. It's very kind of you.

I'm sure it was IMAP. :)
Let's wait for Jeff's explanation.

Best regards.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool and Jeff,

It seems that bugs/issues don't just resolve on their own. :)
It just happened again.

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Moshe, let's try checking out a few more things even though it's a mystery why it would work OK for awhile and then stop working again.

1) From the PP main interface, left-click (select) the problem Gmail account in the "Accounts List" pane on the left side of the PP interface then right-click and select (left-click) "EDIT" in the context menu. Click on the Advanced tab. Determine whether the option toward the bottom of the window (circled) is checked, where it says, "Remove messages not on server." (see image below). If this option is unchecked then please check (enable) this option.
Remove messages not on server setting.png
2) Login to your Gmail account on-line in your browser, Click on the "Gear" in the upper-right corner of the window and select (click on) "Settings", select (click on) the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab and determine if the "Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)" is enabled (selected), see image below. If this option is not selected then select this option as seen in the image below and click on "Save Changes".

If either of these settings above needed to be changed then try your test scenario again on that specific problem account as before and see if this helps. (considering that these are default settings I'd be surprised to find they needed to be changed but thought it best to check anyway to make sure at this point)
Deleting IMAP emails in Gmail setting.png
3) And finally from the PP main interface, please click on "HELP" > "About Pop Peeper" and past a screenshot of this information (just to verify what we're using) in your next reply in this topic. For help to attach a screen shot refer to: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Well, the setting in Gmail was "Auto-Expunge off".
I'm absolutely sure I never changed that setting. Really strange.

So, no difference between v2002 and v2003.
With "Auto-Expunge off", I would have gotten the same result with v2002 at some point.
- Or is there a better explanation to the consistent different behavior I noticed yesterday?

The screenshot isn't necessary at this point, is it?

Jeff, a good competent replacement for the weekends. :)

Best regards.

EDIT:

Well, I apologize gentlemen. It just happened again, and this time with "Auto-Expunge on".
I'll check it with a different account and update shortly.
Attachments
PP.PNG
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hello again,

No problem with a different account.
But then, with my regular account the behavior isn't consistent.

The only thing I changed recently (apart from upgrading PP to v2003) is replacing Avast AV with Panda AV.
No idea if this is relevant at all.

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Sorry for the delay Moshe, I was off-line for awhile.

I'm not sure why other accounts do not seem to have a problem but on the other hand this one specific Gmail account is inconsistent and will sometimes remove the email message in the PP inbox when it is deleted from the Gmail Clients inbox as expected and other times the email message that is deleted in the Gmail Client inbox will sometimes still continue to remain in the PP inbox. I would say it might be due to issues with the Gmail IMAP servers for that account but I can't say this because if this were the case we would expect to get errors in PP if it were due to IMAP server issues and we're not getting any errors in PP.

Moshe, can you please do this for me, in the PP main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" > click on the "Storage" tab and post what your "Data path" is set at (or you can post a screen shot if you like), it should most likely look similar to the following: "C:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\POP Peeper". (I'm wondering if there is something peculiar to your PP installation, although errors would typically occur in this case as well)

Thanks.

Oh and btw, I don't believe changing your Virus Protection would be the cause because if so we would expect the problem to be consistent for one thing and for another I can't see how an AV program would impact PP in a way to cause this specific issue anyway. (just curious why you went away from Avast, could it be because of Avasts more recent policy of an increasingly higher frequency of annoying Avast product popup ads in their free version?)
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks again. You're very kind.

I only checked my other Gmail account 2 or 3 times.
- Not a proof that the issue is my regular Gmail account.

An interesting point:
If a new mail arrives, PP removes the deleted message from Inbox.

I've set Data location to C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\Data.
I find it more convenient to deal with one location. :)
I've used that setting for years and never had a problem.

Best regards.

EDIT:
Just notice your edited post and the question regarding removing Avast:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic ... msg1235783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So far, I haven't got a proper solution from Avast support. :)
Attachments
PP.PNG
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi Moshe, you may want to wait for a reply from Jeff to see whether in regards to your specific issue there may be something else that could be contributing to the problem your having that he may want to cover, however that said....

It is definitely recommended to NOT set any PPv4 version data files to any folder paths that include folders that are protected by Windows "User Account Control" (UAC), i.e. folders using the path of "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files\" (note: By default, C:\Program Files, C:\Windows are UAC protected.). More recent Windows OS programs are not allowed to write in the "Program Files" folder as a result of UAC. Windows treats PPv4 differently because of UAC, on the other hand PPv3 was not "UAC-aware" so Windows would store data files in the VirtualStore folder instead of the Program Files folder. The upgrade to PPv4 is intended to correct this issue of using UAC protected folders by moving the data files into the AppData folder. Which btw, is why I had said in my previous post that the PP "Data path" should most likely look similar to "C:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\POP Peeper".

This is up to you however as I'm not certain your specific issue is caused by Windows UAC restrictions but I would definitely recommend you consider do the following in order to avoid using UAC folders regarding your PPv4 install:

1) Exit POP Peeper
2) Move the ini file from "C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini" to "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper" (without the quotes)
3) Restart POP Peeper
4) From the PP main menu, go to "Tools" > "Options", select "Storage" tab and delete the value for the data path which will reset the data path value to the AppData folder

ADDENDUM: Even if UAC is not directly impacting your specific issue, leaving the poppeeper.ini file in the path location where you have it now will generally result in PP failing to save (retain) critical account settings that are maintained in that file. Click HERE for a link to a topic that provides a more detailed explanation regarding this issue including sub-links in the linked topic where Jeff provides additional specificity regarding this topic, more precisely describing what to do step by step to avoid PPv4 from using UAC protected folders for PPv4 data.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks again. Special thanks for the recommendation. Accepted. :)

Good news. I've been able to pinpoint the issue.
It only occurs if PP Inbox is empty before starting the procedure:

STR:

Remove all messages from Inbox.
Check mail in PP.
Check mail in PP.

So it's probably an off-by-one bug.
I remember corresponding with Jeff about a similar issue: the No. of messages displayed in the Edit Account window.

I don't know if this is related:
Today, I received the following error for the first time: "Some messages could not be FETCHed Failure".
Next check was OK.

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Great work Moshe, I was able to duplicate the problem. It is a matter of only one message in the inbox and in that case the message remains in the PP inbox after deleting the message from the Client Email. #-o

We'll have to wait on Jeff to look into this, your probably right about your "bug" conclusion. =D>

The error was not related, just a random error.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks again for your kind help. It's been a pleasure. :)
And thanks for the =D>. You deserve it too. =D>

Best regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, at first, I thought you two were conspiring against me to prove my insanity, but I eventually got it to duplicate the problem. There were 2 other points that caused my "it works for me", so I'm going to revise the procedure:

** Disable IDLE (for some reason, an account connected via IDLE still works)
Remove all messages from Inbox. (** from the source inbox, not just from PP's inbox)
Check mail in PP.
Delete the sent message in the browser. (** at this point, the source inbox should be empty)
Check mail in PP.

And, you're right, this problem does not seem to be present in beta 2, which actually concerns me more than if it had... I had been following this conversation over the weekend (and not able to produce it because my gmail account wasn't empty) and had looked through the code to see if the new IMAP code that improves fetch speed should have had any impact on removing non-existent messages and it shouldn't have. But, I'll look into it soon to see what I find.

Thanks for finding this -- it would probably affect a lot of people, but not me since I no longer keep a tidy inbox :)
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for disturbing you in the weekend.
Actually - seeing it works properly one minute and wrongly a moment later, I thought you were conspiring against me! :)

Thanks for replying and good luck in finding the cause.
We'll be looking forward to your updates.

What do you think of lakrsrool? Great, isn't he?

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote:Ok, at first, I thought you two were conspiring against me to prove my insanity, but I eventually got it to duplicate the problem. There were 2 other points that caused my "it works for me", so I'm going to revise the procedure:

** Disable IDLE (for some reason, an account connected via IDLE still works)....
I've got IDLE enabled (that is the IDLE option in the PP account setup is checked) and I still have the problem in beta3 of the email remaining in the PP inbox even though the Client Email inbox is empty (source inbox has no mail) with this scenario discovered by Moshe.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

This time I can't reproduce it. :)
I usually have IDLE disabled, but enabling it - beta3 seems to work as expected.

Best regards.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, the problem has been found and fixed. As expected, it was due to a bug when the mailbox is empty -- there was an ever-so subtle change in the code for the new imap efficiency that caused it to work slightly different and prevent the clearing of any pre-existing messages.

I'm going to wait a few days before releasing the update to see if there are any more bugs found. You can either leave a message in the inbox to make sure it works as expected, or live with those messages that shouldn't be there until a new message arrives (at which point they should be removed). Or you can use the "remove messages from list" command to manually force them away.

I re-confirmed that beta3 works as expected when idle is engaged. It's possible that idle isn't actually engaged, even if it's enabled in the account settings (for example, idle won't engage if the account is disabled or auto-check is disabled). However, I did not follow the code to see *why* it worked in that case so there may be some other reason.

And, yes, both Mike and Pete have been invaluable on the forums. I don't expect them to get so involved in these technical types of topics, but I definitely appreciate it!
=D>