Yahoo - Error (Send)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
PT268

Yahoo - Error (Send)

Post by PT268 »

Hello,

I have one Yahoo account showing the following error message - "Error (Send)".

Details below:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.18.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
plur yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Error (Send)

Has anyone been seeing this? Thank you in advance for your help!
mjs

Re: Yahoo - Error (Send)

Post by mjs »

Oh yes, this error is not that uncommon actually as I've had this PP error as a result of issues with Yahoo email many times before.

It is just one of many errors that are generated by Yahoo connection issues for example.

Generally it means that an error occurred when PP tried to send a command, i.e. the connection may have been severed.

It is not something to be concerned about and will invariably clear up in short order. In fact in almost every case the error will not persist beyond the one "Mail check" and will be cleared on the very next "Mail check" that PP does.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
PT268

Post by PT268 »

Thank you for the quick reply, lakrsrool!

I will keep my eye on this, however it has been close to 24 hours now with countless mail checks. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?
mjs

Post by mjs »

PT268 wrote: I will keep my eye on this, however it has been close to 24 hours now with countless mail checks. Is there anything I can do in the meantime?
Generally this error is never that persistent. I've had this error or sometimes other errors as well randomly occur a number of times over a period of as long as at the most 40-60 hours for some of my Yahoo accounts on rare occasions but there will be a relatively large number of "Mail checks" that won't get any errors during that same time frame and eventually the errors do stop occurring altogether.

In this case the error is caused by issues with Yahoo's IMAP servers which should eventually be resolved at some point at which time the errors will stop.

As far as any thing that you can do assuming the issue remains persistent; the one thing you can do would be to change the "Server type" in PP to "Yahoo" for that specific problem account so that you would be using their own proprietary email server protocol instead of IMAP which would solve your problem as long as Yahoo doesn't make any changes that would require an update to the PP Webmail plugin at some point. (If you do this [right-click, "Edit" account to change "Server type" to "Yahoo"] don't be alarmed when the initial "Mail check" takes longer than usual, this is because PP has to re-download all the message/headers whenever the "Server type" is changed)

Of my 8 Yahoo accounts, 6 are IMAP and the other 2 are using the "Yahoo" email protocol. I had changed these two accounts back to "Yahoo" at some point in PP because I was getting relatively prolonged errors on those two specific accounts at the time using the IMAP protocol setting in PP. It seems that Yahoo does tend have more problems with their IMAP servers than most other Email Clients i.e. Hotmail, Gmail etc. So yes that's something you can do as I have myself switched back to using the their "web mail" (Yahoo) protocol for a couple that were more troublesome for an extended time and I never bothered to switch them back to IMAP. In general, IMAP is considered to be the "better" protocol to use (debatable in the case of Yahoo possibly) which provides the added advantage of avoiding issues caused by Yahoo making changes to their own email protocols that Yahoo tends to do from time to time but of course the choice is entirely yours however.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
PT268

Post by PT268 »

It worked, lakrsrool. Thank you!!!