Accounts Disappeared

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dbaker

Accounts Disappeared

Post by dbaker »

Hi -

I just upgraded from POP Peeper v3 to v4. None of my old accounts were imported, nor did I see a way to do so. So I re-created all of my accounts. Everything worked fine. Then I closed POP Peeper for a couple of hours and restarted it. All of my newly created accounts are gone. Ouch.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

DB
mjs

Re: Accounts Disappeared

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum dbaker, sorry to hear about your problems upgrading to PPv4.

On the PP main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab, and take a look at what the two data paths are in this window. Assuming you're using Windows OS and if it's "Vista" or newer then using a path that starts out with "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files\" causes problems because by default, "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Windows" will be UAC protected.

Please post back what you see for both "ini location:" and "Data path:".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dbaker

Post by dbaker »

OK, here are the settings (and I'm using Win8.1 64-bit):

ini Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini

Data path: data

Thoughts/advice?

Thank you!

DB
mjs

Post by mjs »

Here are a couple of topics on the board with recent posts by Jeff related to your issue that you can check out if you CLICK HERE and/or CLICK HERE for a more recent post relevant to this situation. If you're reasonably familiar with what is described in these links you can try following the steps provided in either of these posts however if you do not feel comfortable with these instructions then I would highly recommend that you opt to wait for Jeff to followup on this topic with more details tomorrow.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dbaker

Post by dbaker »

Thanks. The suggestions worked to some extent. To explain:

1. I tried moving the data folder and the .ini file into the Roaming\Pop Peeper folder. When I then launched POP Peeper, it didn't like the location of the data folder, so I moved it back. (I got error messages.)

2. I fortunately had a backup of my Pop Peeper 3 .ini file, and I put that into the new Roaming\Pop Peeper folder. That worked!

Thanks,

DB
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just FYI, since it sounds like you've got it working now: if you changed the data path before moving the ini file, it wouldn't have saved that information in the ini file because it was write-protected (as that's the main problem you had in the first place) and so it was still using the "data" portable folder and that's why you got the error. You would need to change the data path after you moved the ini file (or modify the ini file directly to change the data path, but I wouldn't expect you to do that).