Saving a draft will show success in statusbar

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Moshe

Saving a draft will show success in statusbar

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff and lakrsrool,

Just remembered a question I posted here and was never answered.

"SendMail: saving a draft will show success in statusbar for a few seconds instead of displaying a popup".
Am I missing anything? I have saved several drafts but didn't notice any indication in the status bar.

And if it does work, this kind of indication can also be used after sending a message.

Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Saving a draft will show success in statusbar

Post by Jeff »

It's in the statusbar of the compose window (you may, perhaps, be looking for it in the main window's status bar?). It's only displayed for a few seconds and then it disappears. Press the 'draft' button and look for it then, so you know where/what to look for.
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff,

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Yes, I was looking for it in the main window's status bar. :(
That's nice. - Isn't it a good idea to display "Message Successfully Sent" in the status bar?

Best regards.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Wowee, thanks Jeff for adding that option for the -- time till next check!!! After all this time I had given up thinking that you had ignored my suggestion as pretty much unnecessary presumably (I'd occasionally hover the tooltip and finally gave up on expecting the addition, not even knowing all this time it's been available and just needed to be enabled, WOW again).

It wasn't until I saw this post, with the link above provided by Moshe, that I knew you had added it (apparently nearly 2 months ago). Btw, THANKS Moshe!!!

I've posted in the other topic (see link below in the NEXT TO LAST paragraph labeled "OTHER TOPIC") on why I personally consider this option helpful and also of course I had also discussed this in my initial post as to why I had first suggested adding this in the first place LINKED HERE in the "Suggestions" board since you were wondering. :D (it is a little further down in the post and as you can see I had presumed as stated in the link above and even more so further down in the topic in THIS LINK whereby recollecting on my programming days way too long ago I figured it to be an easy task in the knowledge that PP already has the data field coded in the app which displays in the toolbar, little did I know #-o apparently)

How I saw it was to parse the data field value that stores the "minutes" out (extract) and then concatenate that value to the data string that already existed in the tooltip at the time and then also concatenate to the end of that a character string (text) following that value something like "_ minutes before next mail check" using the Boolean AND, OR and NOT logic operators, in other words based on a conditional "IF" statement that the "minutes" data field was "<>=0", in VB if I recall, (not equal to zero that is ['= or '> in "M"] not sure since I never wrote much in C so I have very little exposure to the language but maybe "!==0" in C++ or in other words while a "mail check" was not occurring which I would surmise to be when the "minutes" data field value was either not equal to zero or greater than zero, which ever worked). It appears Jeff, that you basically parsed (extracted) what displayed in the PP toolbar where PP displayed the status of the "mail check" and added (concatenated) this value at the end of the initial tooltip value already coded creating some of the issues you had. I think your idea was to provide even more than just the "minutes until the next mail check" which was a nice concept actually and perhaps would have worked if a Boolean expression sequence loop was coded to be used on the identifier to make it conditional that the text string value "Retrieving" existed as part of the data field as a prerequisite to displaying the tooltip string during the time the "Mail Check" was processing (count field value <>=0). Now apparently you're parsing the value of this data field and stringing the value+text to the tooltip with a "CrLf" (carriage return/line feed) only when a "mail check" is pending or in other words when the "minutes counter" value is > zero or <> zero in order to provide the minutes until the next "Mail check", but I digress (sorry for getting into the weeds).... Oh btw Jeff, on the subject of "strings"; for a few years I programmed in MUMPS (M) (besides all the other "ancient" languages, i.e. Basic, Cobol, VB etc. :D), that you might find interesting which is a relatively powerful string manipulation language in which the entire hierarchical database is string array oriented, that is totally based on string indexed multi-dimensional arrays which was an interesting time.

Any way now that it's done, that's great, thanks to all your hard work on this Jeff, this clearly makes things easier (explained in OTHER TOPIC in the "beta testing" board where you asked "Can someone give me a compelling reason why this information is useful? I just don't understand the point of it..."). Take a look in that other topic, I've tried to post a few more of what I think are good reasons for the option. :D

Btw, just curious after reading the "other topic", were there others requesting to add this option as well?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi lakrsrool,

I'm really glad you've found this feature. I also find it very useful.

BTW, the "Idiot Kid" illustration is brilliant, isn't it?
Yet another unique flavor to your posts. :)

Have a nice weekend.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Moshe wrote:Hi lakrsrool,

I'm really glad you've found this feature. I also find it very useful.

BTW, the "Idiot Kid" illustration is brilliant, isn't it?
Yet another unique flavor to your posts. :)

Have a nice weekend.
It's good to know that others besides myself also find the feature useful. :D

The avatar is of course Alfred E. Neuman (the infamous Mad Magazine mascot that was, in case you're not familiar, started in 1953 or 54 and was very popular in the years 1955 to 1975.) The appeal I have for the character is pretty much limited to the persona that Alfred had virtually "no worries". 8)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Thanks for the reference. Very interesting.
It reminds me of the masterpiece The Good Soldier Švejk.

May we all have "No Worries". That is for some moments of grace. :)