Being locked out of my email every few hours

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
cialgroup

Being locked out of my email every few hours

Post by cialgroup »

I have been using Poppeeper for several years and the same web hosting provider for years but now I keep getting locked out of my email. I have tried to work this through with my web hosts tech support with no success so here is my diagnosis. Poppeeper works fine for a few hours but then becomes unable to access some of my email accounts - the ones that are hosted by this particular web host. If I change my IP address everything is OK again - for a few hours. Then whammo - once again I cannot access these particular email address. At the same time as I cannot access those email address I cannot access the associated CPanel or anything on my web hosts site that requires logging in. If I change my IP address everything returns to normal - for a few hours.

What I have learned from this web hosting company is that "for my security" they automatically block any IP address that logs in to their site more than 10 times in a hour. This is consistent with my problem - I believe I am being locked out of my web host's site. I have four email addresses with this particular web host and I am often running three Windows 8.1 computers, each with Poppeeper loaded, at the same time. Each Poppeeper is set to check for new email every 15 minutes, so I am checking these four email addresses 4 (addresses) times 4 (times an hour) times 3 (computers) = 48 times each hour, causing my web hosting provider to lock me out. The web hosting company refuses to consider this diagnosis or to do anything to help me work around the problem.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a known work-around, other than switching to a new web host (my other web hosting providers do not cause the same problem) or removing the problem email addresses from Poppeeper?

Thanks for any help you can provide, and let me know if my description of the problem is not clear enough.

Colin Isaacs

Thanks for any help you can provide.
spc3rd

Re: Being locked out of my email every few hours

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Colin and welcome to the PP Forums!

I must say...you've certainly presented a really unique problem. As such, I've contacted our Forum Admin/Product Developer, Jeff, and asked him to review your topic here. He should be along in a little while.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Colin,

You can try using IMAP and make sure that IDLE is enabled. Assuming that your email host supports both (imap and idle), this would reduce the number of logins as POP Peeper will be able to stay connected to the server and not have to login every 15 minutes. Change the accounts to use IMAP/IDLE, and if you need additional help (for example, if you're unsure if the accounts support idle), let us know and I'll provide more details.

I have never heard of this type of security before and, to be completely honest, it seems very short-sighted by your webhost. If you had 11 email accounts, you wouldn't be able to access all your accounts (and 11 accounts is not exactly abnormal; I have about 20 mailboxes with my webhost). If they only counted failed login attempts, that might make a good case for security, but a cynic might think that it's less about "security" and more about preserving their resources by restricting your access... :|
cialgroup

Post by cialgroup »

Thanks very much. I will try your suggestion, if I can work out how to do it, and let you know if it fixes the problem.