Unable to open attachments on subsequent attempts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rgordon

Unable to open attachments on subsequent attempts

Post by rgordon »

If I open an attachment in my PopPeeper inbox it always opens correctly the first time. If I then try to reopen it a subsequent time I get an error box saying "Error. Unable to open attachment." If I restart PopPeeper I can then open the attachment again. Is there a workaround for this? Running version 4.0.1 but have noticed this behavior on earlier releases.

Rob
mjs

Re: Unable to open attachments on subsequent attempts

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum rgordon,

Would you please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post into this topic (copy/paste) your storage paths (the values you have in "ini location" and "Data path").

Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

When you "open" an attachment, PP saves the file to your Windows Temp folder so that it can be opened. If that temp file is deleted or modified and you try to open the file from PP again, PP will save the temp file again. However, doing a little testing, if I delete the custom subfolder, and try to open the attachment again, I get, "an error occurred while trying to save this file." Is that the error that you get? The exact error that you mentioned doesn't seem to exist.

Are you using any cleaners that may be aggressively deleting temp files/folders?

note: PP will now (v4.1 b4) be sure to create the folder just before saving the file in case something has deleted it.
rgordon

Post by rgordon »

Jeff: That's exactly the error I get (sorry that I paraphrased it quite badly) and I do use an "aggressive" program to keep the temp directory clean (CCleaner). Apparently that's what's causing this situation.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, that's probably the problem. It's been a while since I've used anything like CCleaner, but if you're able to relax its aggressiveness, that would be better -- for example, so that it only deletes files that are at *least* 24-48 hours old. It really doesn't make sense to delete files immediately, as you have no idea if the program that created the file is done with it or not. POP Peeper cleans up after itself, although I realize that many program don't.