Yahoo fails to send mail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rd4pp

Yahoo fails to send mail

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,

One of my Yahoo accounts will not send mail. It errors out. Copy of the error is below. I did log in from a browser, there was no captcha required. I sent a mail from the browser successfully. Then tried again from PP. Got the same error. This is only for one of my three Yahoo accounts. The other two work fine from PP.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.17.0
SSL:
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
Yahoo [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error (-60) [Captcha: Login with webbrowser required; send a test email using webbrowser]
Send Mail: Error (-60)
mjs

Re: Yahoo fails to send mail

Post by mjs »

Were you logged-out at the time when you logged-in to your Yahoo account on the web via your browser?

If you were already logged-in at the time you would need to log-out and log-back-in again. At that point you may then see what Yahoo requires if anything.

I notice that your Webmail plugin is not current (should be version 4.0.19.0), but I'm not so sure this will help anyway as the current updates since the version you have did not apply to Yahoo. That said, you could try updating your Webmail plugin nevertheless ("Help" > "About Pop Peeper", check version).

Alternatively you could use "IMAP" instead of "Yahoo" for your "Server type", which would solve the issue as of now. Keep in mind that you will need to install the SSL plugin if you decide to use the preferred IMAP protocol (Yahoo requires "SSL" for "IMAP"). For plugins CLICK HERE and then scroll down for the SSL plugin, the "Installation instruction" link will illustrate how to do this. Once you've done this then right/click on your problem account, select "Edit", in the "General" tab select "IMAP" for "Server type", click "Update", that's it you're done. (All the other necessary account changes should be automated; "imap.mail.yahoo.com" for Incoming Server, "SSL", Port "993", Send Mail tab: "SMTP", "SSL, Outgoing: "smtp.mail.yahoo.com", port "465", Server requires authentication: enabled. Verify that this is the case however). Again, the IMAP server protocol is the recommended "Server Type" to use instead of using the webmail ("Yahoo") protocol anyway. (You're currently using the "Yahoo" protocol, but apparently at some point previously have tried setting IMAP for incoming but w/out the SSL plugin it presumably wouldn't work)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I was logged out of Yahoo via the browser. I always log out. How is it that PP can report a captcha error when I don't get prompted for that?

I tried updating the Webmail plugin, even though it doesn't apply to me. It did not help. Same error. As expected.
I logged in again via the browser. No captcha. No problem sending mail.

Seems odd that only one Yahoo account is affected, but that's what it is.

I may have tried IMAP years ago -- it certainly wasn't recent. I think I preferred Webmail for some reason. But you say it's the preferred protocol. I may be forced to switch if this does not resolve soon.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you tried exiting and restarting POP Peeper? If that doesn't help try rebooting Windows.

Also since this only has to do with "Sending" mail in PP, compare the settings of the accounts that work to the account that doesn't by editing the accounts and check out the "Send mail" settings. Since you're using the "Yahoo" Server-type the "Send option" setting in the "Send mail" tab window when editing the account should be set to "Webmail".

Was possibly the reason that you're using the "Yahoo" Server-type because you're using Pop Peeper at your job and IMAP didn't work there?

If the problem sending email using PP with this specific account persists and you have no issues using IMAP then I'd go ahead and set the account to IMAP as mentioned in my previous post including first installing the "SSL" plugin since you do not currently have this plugin installed (refer to prior comments about this). By switching the account to access Yahoo using IMAP instead of WebMail, POP Peeper doesn't have to rely on the inconsistent nature of Yahoo's webmail service. Also don't be alarmed by the much longer time it takes to do the initial "Mail Check" after switching to IMAP which will only occur on the first "Mail Check" after switching protocols, this is because PP will have to download all the messages again in order to populate your inbox for the different protocol on the first "Mail check" that occurs after the change has been made, after which Pop Peeper will perform from then on just as it did before.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,

Yes, I've exited and restarted PP. Yes, I've restarted Windows. No help.
Yes, the Send mail settings are the same for all three Yahoo accounts. I haven't changed anything in PP. This simply started happening a few days ago.
I can see from the status messages at the bottom that PP can't log in. But why it reports a captcha issue and why it doesn't affect the other accounts is still a mystery.

As for why I'm using the Yahoo type instead of IMAP, that's historical. I've used PP for many years. I've had the account set up the same way since the beginning.

Thanks for the info on what to expect with IMAP. It looks like I may have to switch the account settings.
mjs

Post by mjs »

It would appear to me since all your settings are the same for all of your Yahoo accounts that it all comes down to "the inconsistent nature of Yahoo's webmail service" as I said before, which has to do with using the "Yahoo" Server protocol as opposed to for example using IMAP. There is no "prefect" email protocol of course, but overall IMAP is in general considered to be relatively more reliable of the two.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you still want to stick with webmail, I have 2 more possibilities:
1) If you didn't use Internet Explorer to send your test message from the browser, try doing that. You may even want to send the email to the original recipient for good measure, if possible.
2) Send an email so that we can see exactly what the problem is; ie. to confirm that Yahoo really is requesting a captcha confirmation.
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

Now that problems with Hotmail & outlook.com have been fixed, Yahoo is now giving errors (all 3 account types are: IMAP):
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.20.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Timed Out
mjs

Post by mjs »

I was getting an error with one of my eight Yahoo accounts for a period of about 45 minutes earlier today but it eventually cleared up and has been no problem since, which btw was an IMAP account.

Your errors are probably due to random IMAP server issues which will most likely clear up.

That said, let us know if the issue persists.