lost all email accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

lost all email accounts

Post by bbqbrisket »

I went to "export" my email address list in PP and emailed the list in order to "import" it to another PP program on another PC. After the export, all my email "accounts (7 of them) disappeared.
What happened?
thanks
mjs

Re: lost all email accounts

Post by mjs »

Until Jeff can look into this, try exiting and starting Pop Peeper to see if your accounts are back (if that doesn't help you could reboot your computer).

After that, go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" and post the path you have to the poppeeper.ini file (what you see in "ini.location"). You can post a screen-shot of that window if you like (How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post).

What version of Pop Peeper (PP) do you have? (Go to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper" for this)

Thanks

By the way here is information regarding Account Backup which most likely has been done (would have been done if PP was upgraded) and can be restored.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

By "export" I assume you mean that you copied the poppeeper.ini file which stores your accounts (and other settings). If that file was under C:\Program Files\ -- as opposed to under C:\Users\ -- then you likely copied the wrong file because of UAC. Instead, look for the source file in:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
-- this assumes source OS is 64-bit; otherwise, remove the " (x86)"
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

i have pp 4.0.1 here is screen shot.
btw obviously it also removed all the inbox emails.

I just tried creating new accounts but it recognizes that somewhere the account exists because it will not allow me to create same name for the acct.
Attachments
pp screen shot storage.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It would help if you told us exactly what you did to export/import the accounts.

If all you did was copy the accounts' folders (and not the ini file), then that is not sufficient -- the folders only contain message data, not account information. Account information is stored in the ini file.

Copy your original poppeeper.ini to the "ini location" specified in your screenshot, and make sure that PP is NOT running when you do that.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

From pp opening pages, selected "Addresses", then from "File", selected "Export", then saved to my desktop. When I opened it up, it was all garbled.
When I went back to my address book, all the accounts and emails were no longer there but my "address book" was there.
I could not re import them back into PP.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, that explains it. That method just backs up your address book (which shouldn't be garbled since it exports to a common csv file, which is plain text...), and is more geared toward exporting to a different (non-POP Peeper) address book.

To backup your actual email accounts, you need to copy the ini file as previously mentioned, and described here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... /?q=backup

The "data folder" as mentioned in the faq contains your address book, which is why it's not specifically mentioned.