Pop Peeper lists messages in duplicate

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
cloverdavid

Pop Peeper lists messages in duplicate

Post by cloverdavid »

PopPeeper lists many incoming messages in duplicate. Any ideas why?

David
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Pop Peeper lists messages in duplicate

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the forums, David.

1) Have you verified that the account does not actually have duplicates? ie. sign into the email service with your webbrowser and check the inbox.

2) What version of POP Peeper are you using (under main menu: Help / About)?

3) Are the duplicate messages in the same account?

4) You said "most" -- is there a pattern? ie. do you have multiple accounts in PP and, if so, are all messages in a given account duplicated? Do you have some accounts that do not have duplicates?

5) Do any of the messages display a red-X in the '!' column?
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hi Jeff and cloverdavid,

I wonder if the issue might be "Conversation View".

Regards.
cloverdavid

Post by cloverdavid »

Jeff,

In answer to your questions:

1) none of the ATT online accounts involved have duplicate messages. Even though I have downloaded emails into PopPeeper and then into my Thunderbird program, the messages are not being deleted in the PopPeeper list OR in the online accounts, except for my main account to which all the other accounts forward their messages.

2) I'm using PP version 4.0.1. Webmail version is 4.0.17.0.

3) the duplicate messages come from various accounts – I have 7 of them, all of which are supposed to forward mail to an 8th account for retrieval. The forwarding does occur, but the messages remain in the 7 online ATT mail accounts, while the 8th account's Inbox (to which all messages are forwarded) is empty.

4) I do not see a pattern. This issue has occurred with all of the accounts.

5) none of the messages display a red X in the ! column.

Moshe,

I did not know what your email meant, but fished around and found that it referred to a setting in the webmail accounts. Two of the accounts had the box checked for conversations, and I unchecked these. The others did not have the box checked. But the problem has occurred in email accounts that had that box checked and those that did not.

David
mjs

Post by mjs »

I am unable to duplicate the problem you've reported here using an ATT email account set to any of the PP "Server type" protocol settings "Yahoo", "IMAP and "POP3". Incoming messages are not duplicated and forwarding email using PP works as expected.

In reference to question 4): Are all messages in a given account duplicated?, i.e. You've posted "This issue has occurred with all of the accounts", so then does this "duplication" consistently occur in every case or do you have some accounts that will sometimes not have duplicates?

I am assuming you're using either the "IMAP" or "POP3" protocols in PP, can you verify this in PP by editing the account(s) and refer to the "Server type" setting (right-click on account(s) in the left pane of the main PP interface then select "Edit" then Select "General" in left PP "Edit" window pane to determine "Server type" protocol used).

Possibly what you're doing that is perhaps unique would be your forwarding email procedure(s) that you've referenced in answers #1 and #3. Would you please explain in more detail what exactly your doing in this regard? Have you been previously doing this and has this been working without these same issues in the past? Are there any changes you've made from the point when this issue has begun?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
cloverdavid

Post by cloverdavid »

I think the problem may be due to the fact that AT&T has changed the way messages are forwarded. In the past – not too distant past – you could choose to forward messages in three ways: 1) store and forward; 2) store and forward and mark as read; or 3) store and forward and delete. The third option has now been removed, which means that messages sent to various mailboxes will remain there. Instructions for forwarding are not correct: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desk ... sions=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Even though the instruction said you can determine whether email should be saved, this option is not available.

What may have been happening before is that I was asking Pop Peeper to check all mailboxes. In doing so, it listed the messages forwarded to Mailbox A, and since the message was still in Mailbox B, it read in both messages. The solution is for me to only check Mailbox A, rather than checking all mailboxes. I know that messages to all of my mailboxes are being forwarded to Mailbox A, so there is really no need to check the other mailboxes.

Another thing to consider is this: I spent several hours on the telephone last week with three different agents and at least five hours on my own trying to figure out why messages were not being deleted from mailboxes that forwarded to Mailbox A. After about a half hour, I asked the first agent to check to see if there might be some systemic problem. She went off-line and came back to say that there was indeed a problem with forwarding email that is systemwide and should be fixed soon. She promised to call me to let me know the status, but, as has always been the case with AT&T technical support, she never called back. The next day, the issue seemed to have been resolved, but later in the day was not working again. I called and spoke to another agent, who told me the problem was still being worked on by AT&T and he promised to call me when it was fixed. He never called. Next day, I called and spoke to a third agent who insisted on running through everything I had already done, but I insisted that he first check to see if there was still a systemwide problem. He went off-line and came back to say that the problem had been fixed. But clearly it had not been fixed. Even today, it is still not working correctly.

I suppose one could say that this problem has been "resolved." I now get all of my messages in Mailbox A with no duplicates.

What do you think ?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If I understand correctly, it all makes sense and you took the best course of action to prevent the problem. In fact, unless the forward/delete was conditional (ie. some messages were not forwarded/deleted), then those accounts would have always been empty and therefore no need to check them anyway.

Hopefully, At&t can fix the problem. Being able to automatically delete messages seems to be in their best interest by not using up server space with messages you don't want...