gmail logins

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dandan

gmail logins

Post by dandan »

everytime I restart my computer I do not get my poppeeper gmail it says error logging in, I have to go to gmail.com and log in to all my accounts then pop peeper will work after that until next time I turn off computer and start up again. help
spc3rd

Re: gmail logins

Post by spc3rd »

Hello dandan and welcome to the PP Forums!

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your Gmail accounts. To help us get a better idea of what's happening, please post back with the following in your next reply:

1. Please include the entire text of any error messages you are receiving in PopPeeper?

(Click on the yellow icon with a black exclamation mark "!" shown at the lower right corner of the PP main interface to see the message. Now, click on the [COPY] button, then paste the info in your reply).

2. How are you accessing the Gmail accounts in question?
[e.g. Gmail, POP3, IMAP, etc]

(To determine this - click on the affected account(s) in the Account List shown on the left side of the PP interface, then select [EDIT]. Click on the [GENERAL] tab. Scroll down the page a little & look at what is shown in the box beside "Server type." Include what is shown there in your next post).

3. Are you using 2-factor authentication to access your Gmail accounts?

(If so, please have a look at the information provided by Jeff HERE).

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
Roland

Post by Roland »

I also have a problem with only one of my gmail account, not the 2 other ones. The problem started 1 week ago. Poppeeper refuses to login. It just don't do anything. In the status bar Autorisation is shown for 1 second and that's all.
I can login with webmail and have no problem with thunderbird with that gmail account.
I have tried with gmail and pop3 in server type, checked and re-checked password and all other parameters.
I don't use the 2 factor authentification in gmail
Here is the error message :
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.20.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
RSS: 4.0.0.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
Notification Voice: 4.0.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 13:18:04 - 13:18:04 (0 s) (+0200)
Data: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 04:18:02 -0700

--- Error ---
**** gmail [10: GMail] ['pop.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Erreur d'identification : Vérifiez votre nom d'usager et votre mot de passe.
*[Translation: Identification failure: Check your username and password].

Now I have tried imap as server type 5 minutes ago, before posting this message,. When I clicked on IMAP folders button, it says Invalid user name. Then I selected pop3 again, and after that, everything works ok again !. Problem solved...
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: (testing edit - ignore)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi dandan,

We are going to need all the information requested by spc3rd (Pete) in his post above, this is all critical information to help us out.

I would just like to add to this a couple of points below. First off, because this issue occurs every time you "turn off computer and start up again", I am very suspicious that your problem may be because your "Poppeeper.ini" file is write-protected due to UAC (refer to Point 2 below regarding this possibility).

1) In regards to question #2 requested by spc3rd (Pete); if the answer to that question is that you're using "Gmail" as your "Server type" then you need to be using at least the Webmail plugin version v4.0.17 (released Jun 25, 2015) because this Webmail plugin update fixed a Gmail Login "check your user name and password" error problem, CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON THIS PLUGIN UPDATE. (Follow spc3rd's instructions on how to determine the "Server type" you are using)

2) If you are NOT using "Gmail" for your "Server type" or you are using "Gmail" and you do have the required Webmail plugin version (v4.0.17 or higher) then on the main Pop Peeper interface please go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" and provide the information you have for your "Ini location". If you like you can post a screen shot of your Pop Peeper "Storage settings" (for help: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post). We want to determine if the "Ini location" path includes "Program Files" because if it does then the problem is presumably because your "Poppeeper.ini" file is write-protected due to UAC. (I would add that your "ini" file could still be write-protected in any case of which we will followup on with further instructions after you have provided the information that we have requested)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

dandan -- This will happen if you're using WebMail (server type = gmail) and your IP address changes. For this reason, it's recommended that you use IMAP or POP3 to access GMail accounts (and IMAP is recommended over POP3).

Roland -- Are you sure that you don't have 2-step verification enabled? You said, "Then I selected pop3 again" but your error suggests you were using WebMail -- [10: GMail]. If that's the case (2-step is enabled), then you would have to have a unique password; I don't know if GMail allows you to setup different passwords for POP3 and IMAP, but that might explain why POP3 worked and IMAP didn't. Or, perhaps it was all coincidence and it just started working again when you switched to POP3.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hi Jeff,
I said "I selected pop3 again". I meant gmail as server type. I used incorrectly the term pop3 by opposition to imap.
By the way, I am sure I don't have 2 steps verification with my gmail account.
If it would be a coincidence that it worked again after my 2 switching of server types, it would be a very strange coincidence. I mean, after a week and maybe 70 missed login, at the very moment I switched to imap, (without login success), and then back to gmail server type, login worked instantaneously again. Strange, isn't it? This should be tried by users having the same kind of problem. Maybe it is a solution, although a mysterious one indeed.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Roland -- my guess is that:
- You haven't enabled the "allow less secure apps" option in your GMail account. Not doing so would prevent both POP3 and IMAP from working. You can enable it here:
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps
- WebMail started working again after you logged in with your browser. That's how it works, unfortunately -- if your IP address changes, then GMail will keep blocking PP until you login with your browser; repeat if your IP address changes again (unless you get an IP address that you've already used to log into GMail with your webbrowser...). That's why IMAP is recommended -- if you keep using WebMail (Server type = "GMail"), then it's only a matter of time before your IP address will change.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thank you Jeff. Sorry, but less secured apps is allowed with that account. Connecting by webmail is always working but does not solve the problem. The problem appeared again since yesterday. This time, switching to IMAP (without success) and re-switching to gmail server time, did not work.
But, I suppress the word "recent:" in recent:accountname in user name. And this time it works. Before, the word "recent:" was accepted in poppeeper. Now it is not any more. As you know, it allows to download gmail mails on more than 1 computer.
Thanks again for your help.
Roland
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have a foggy recollection of thinking I may have heard of the "recent" trick...

According to the official help page:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/47948?hl=en
It would suggest that it only applies to POP3. Which makes sense since there is that similar option in GMail's POP3 settings.

Since it's (presumably) not supported in IMAP or WebMail, that would explain the login errors.

POP Peeper v4.1 supports read-sync, so depending on your specific needs, that may work better. Another new feature in v4.1 that you might be interested in allows you to hide read messages on a per-account basis (first, enable "Advanced options" under main menu: Tools / Options / General; then edit the account; select "Advanced" page; change the "hide messages from all accounts" to "read").

One of these days, I'll make some how-to videos for these kinds of hard-to-find-but-useful features...