How Can I Read The .db File Created For Accounts?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
afili8ter

How Can I Read The .db File Created For Accounts?

Post by afili8ter »

Hello,

I recently upgraded PP to v4 and now when I save my emails from my gmail account, PP saves the emails in a .db file when it used to save them in .eml or something like that before, and now I'm not able to retrieve the links from the emails.

Before this version, when I would close out PP, I would use a program that would read the file and collect all the links from all the emails and I could export them or copy/paste them in any notepad or similar for later use. Now I'm not able to read the contents inside of the .db file PP creates.

Is there a way to read the contents of the .db file?

Thanks
afili8ter

Re: How Can I Read The .db File Created For Accounts?

Post by afili8ter »

After creating this post I did some searching and I found that DB Browser for QSLite will read the file. However, I tested it on 100 emails I needed to extract the links from, but the program I use "Link Extract" only captured 57 links from 57 emails, but all 100 emails have links in them.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to read their emails from the .db file in PP.
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: External website links removed. Please see Forum Rule # 2 in the "Announcements" sub-forum. Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well.... yes, the .db is a sqlite DB file and it's not intended to be accessed directly. By default, message data will be compressed (and in some cases, encrypted) so you won't find any links in them. The file format that PPv3 used was a proprietary .emd format; not plain-text .eml, but it's possible that you could have obtained the links out of them.

What you should do instead is:
- Right-click on the account and select "Archive messages"
- From the main menu, select View / Explore -> Archive; this will save each message in the account to a separate file on your hard drive
--> This will tell you where PP is storing that account's archived messages. Each account will have a different, but similar, folder structure -- you'll figure it out when you see it.
- The resulting files are stored in standard .eml format and you can do what you need to do.
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: just a teeny typo
afili8ter

Post by afili8ter »

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

So, if I have 1,000 emails to extract the links from you're saying I'll have 1,000 .eml files to contend with?

Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That would be correct. Without knowing the specifics of how the program you're using works, if it can't handle multiple files (*.eml), then I can't think of any better suggestions.