Amazon Payments Preview Crash

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
petspy

Amazon Payments Preview Crash

Post by petspy »

I'm fully updated. something in an amazon.com email over aol.com confirming a payment i made keeps locking up and crashing poppeeper when i preview that email. this is a surprise since i check boxed under options html "block external images and data" and I leave everything else on that page unchecked. this is the first and only email i suffer this crash, but since it includes some personal information i cannot post this in public.

anyway, it's no big deal - just informing the developer in case others have reported similar anomalies.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Amazon Payments Preview Crash

Post by Jeff »

Well, it's a big deal to me -- I no like crashes :)

Are you using POP Peeper v4.0.1 or v4.1.3001 (beta/rc)?

If you're not using v4.1, could you try installing that to see if the problem still occurs:
http://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper-beta/

In any event, I would like to double-confirm (if you don't want to install the release candidate, I can test it in both versions); would you be willing to send the message source to me at (support at esumsoft dot com)? If so, please include why you're sending it, and save the message source of the message by right-clicking on it in PP's message list and selecting View -> View Source, then save the file to disk and send that file to me as an attachment. If you want to modify any sensitive information in the email, edit the file first with a text editor; replace any characters with X's but try not to "overdo" it as it's possible something you modify could inadvertently fix the problem.
petspy

Post by petspy »

Jeff, I appreciate what you are trying to do (especially as I'm a free loader who simply needs email text preview ability) and will email you directly whatever may be useful for your troubleshoot.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, I have tested the sample emails you sent and I'm fairly certain that this will be fixed in POP Peeper v4.1, with a couple of conditions.

1) What I saw was not a crash. *Occasionally* the view-message would hang for about 30 seconds. If you clicked on the window, the title would get the "not responding" mark from Windows, but after about 30 seconds, it would work fine. I would put it at about 25-50% chance, but I'm not exactly sure what causes this so ymmv.

2) The problem is that, until v4.1, POP Peeper was using default emulation for Internet Explorer, which is used to display HTML content (I can't remember the version that it uses by default, but it's somewhere in IE5-IE7). v4.1 will use your current version of IE. When I was using emulation of my current version of IE11, I could not get it to produce the problem. So I started from IE7 to see which version would "fix" this sample -- turns out that it was IE10. So, not only do you have to have PPv4.1, but you also have to have IE10, which means if you have Vista, you're out of luck.

That being said, when I first implemented this IE-emulation feature for v4.1, it was a similar problem but, iirc, the sample I was using relied on IE8.
petspy

Post by petspy »

Jeff, I'm happy to confirm your 4.1.0.3001 allowed me to preview both emails without issue.
FYI, I'm using Win7ult IE11, noticed a brief pause while 2 linked items loaded, then read it.

please do me the courtesy of deleting the text files and email I sent you from HD and inbox [-o<
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for confirming.

The email samples you sent have been deleted (file and email). Just to put you at further ease, amazon does not include any sensitive information in email; although there may be "close enough" information that I can appreciate your paranoia.