Mail vanished + no longer downloading for only one acct

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
macready

Mail vanished + no longer downloading for only one acct

Post by macready »

POP Peeper version: 4.1 RC 1
Per About > Check Version = all plugins are up to date.

I have 5 gmail accts, all configured the same way: to use IMAP, and download headers only.
  1. Today, the local Inbox is suddenly empty for 1 of the 5 accts, and new email headers aren't downloading/displaying.
  2. There's no errors of any kind - login, etc.
  3. Nothing was changed in the acct's online settings, and when I log in to it via the website, there's new unread mail in the Inbox, and all recent email is still there.
  4. Also, when I check local storage, the acct's mail db is still there, although the time stamp hasn't updated since this morning - when I first noticed the problem.
TIA for any help.
mjs

Re: Mail vanished + no longer downloading for only one acct

Post by mjs »

There is one thing for now that I can think of to check regarding a Pop Peeper (PP) individual account setting which is to see if this individual account is set to use your default retrieval setting that you have mentioned.

To check this you need to have "Advanced Options" enabled (it is probably already enabled). To be sure this option is enabled, on the PP main menu go to "Tools" > "Options", make sure "General" is selected in the left pane, if "Advanced Options" is not checked (enabled) on the top-right area of the right pane then check this option and click "OK".

Now check the following setting for this individual account:
1) Edit the account (right-click the account and select "Edit")
2) Select the "Advanced" page
3) Now make sure "Default" is selected for the "Retrieval option" setting
4) Click "Update" if the "Retrieval option" needed to be changed

If the above does not apply then another possibility is that the message(s) for this account may possibly be "hidden" in PP.

In the main PP menu bar go to "Messages" and uncheck "Enable display filters" after which you will get a popup window that will explain what this does. Doing this may help display any "missing" messages. You should then check the "Enable display filters" once again to enable this option after you have determined if this was your issue in this case.

Refer to the last two posts in THIS TOPIC for details regarding the different options you can take to list emails that do not appear in the account(s) inbox.

Please post back if any of this helps you out in either this post or in the linked topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
macready

Post by macready »

Hello, and thanks for the fast response.

Unfortunately, none of those suggestions helped/applied in this case. Per the order of your reply:
  1. Advanced Options was already enabled.
  2. The Retrieval option was already set to Default for the acct in question.
  3. And I'd already tried toggling hidden messages and display filters.
  4. As for the other post you referenced, the only suggestion I found that's not listed above is to enable Show all in Junk View, but I can't find that option; I assume you're referring to the Plus Pack, which I don't have. If I missed anything else from that post, let me know.
It's really quite odd because, like I said, all 5 gmail accts are set up the same way, 4 of them are working fine, and no settings were recently changed (not intentionally anyway.)That leads me to wonder:
  1. Could it be an issue with the beta? Should I revert to the last stable release?
  2. Could the local db be corrupt?
  3. Since it's an IMAP acct and all of the email is still on the server, I'm thinking I should just try deleting + recreating the acct. But I figured I'd finish any other troubleshooting first.
Thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I would suggest that you wait on those options you listed until Jeff can check this out.

In the meantime, try going to "Accounts" and click on "Show enabled check checkbox". All accounts should be checked.

Try right-clicking on this problem account and select "Check mail". Do you get a PP error?

I presume you've got this problem account setup in Gmail the same way as all your other Gmail accounts. That said, if you were getting a PP error for this account I would have suggested looking here: Allowing less secure apps to access your account. Clicking on the Allow less secure apps link is where you can TURN ON the "Access for less secure apps". Click HERE Regardng Gmail: unknown error? topic where Jeff posted a comment on this.

.... But.... you are not getting any errors in PP :?

Hopefully Jeff will have some better ideas when he checks by later today.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Does POP Peeper think that the "total" number of messages is 0? ie. Do any of your existing columns in the Account List (left-side of PP) include "Total"? If not, then view that specific account (select it from the "View" dropdown box above the message list) and then refer to the "Total" statistic in the status bar.

If PP thinks that the total is 0 and you're really using IMAP, then 0 messages is most likely what your GMail account is returning. But, I'd be willing to double-check it and maybe see if there's some other explanation. Email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll provide further instructions.