Need Spam Fix!

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

Need Spam Fix!

Post by techmanc »

Hi
I have using PP to help me fix my spam problems and it working great for most of my problems but I have a lot of emails I still have to delete manually from my junk view which is catching them as spam at least.

I see that they have a Bayesian and totally new to how this works so I tried to make a rule which would automatically delete them like the other spam I get.

I hope you can tell me how to get this pita spam problem fixed and posting a SS of my problem and it show the name of the rule I made "Test weight"
but I am just guessing at making it.

Let me post this SS and info to get things rolling. TIA!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae15 ... n1qzbb.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Need Spam Fix!

Post by Jeff »

By default, POP Peeper does not delete any junk, but there are several ways to handle that. However, I'm not sure what rule you created, but you cannot make a rule that depends on Bayesian's result. The screenshot you included only shows the overall results and doesn't show any of the details (or the actions that would occur).

So, not completely understanding what you've done or want to do, here are some suggestions:

1) Add the "Delete Junk" button to the main toolbar. On the main menu, select View / Customize Toolbar; look for "delete junk" in the left list (it will be closer to the bottom) and add it. Press this button if you're sure you want to delete all the messages that PP considers Junk.

2) If you're confident in POP Peeper's ability to determine Junk, you can have PP delete it:
a) From the main menu, select Tools / AntiJunk -> Main interface
b) Select Tools / Define actions
c) From here, there are actually 2 methods to accomplish what you want:
- Use the "Delete if junk and score is at least #" method. This basically allows you to auto-delete based on confidence. e.g. setting it to '2' (or even '1.1') means that at least 2 filters think that the message was junk, thus increasing the level of confidence that the message really is junk.
or
- In the top section, "Actions if junk", tick the box for "delete" -- this means that any message that PP considers junk will be auto-deleted. Note that the exception to this is if the message is from someone in your address book or white list, as those messages will be tagged with "don't auto-delete" (you can also create specific rules to prevent auto-delete, if necessary).

One other thing -- if you have PP auto-delete, you may also want to consider having PP save these messages to disk so that you can review them later. You can use Sent Mail Viewer -- main menu: View / Mailbox -> Junk -- and if you haven't already enable the feature to save Junk messages, it will prompt you if you want to enable it now.

Ok, one last thing, just to make this list more complete -- instead of having POP Peeper actually "delete" the messages, you can have PP move the messages to a different folder (this only works for IMAP accounts). This way, you could have PP move the messages to a "PP-Junk" folder (for example), and then review the messages later. To do that, go back to step #2c above (don't use "delete if junk" or the "delete" checkbox) and:
1) In the "Actions if Junk" section, press the "More actions" button
2) Enable "IMAP Move"
3) Press the '...' button next to imap move
4) Specify the "Subfolder" (for example: PP-Junk); leave the Parent folder as "INBOX"

Let me know if any of this helps.
techmanc

Re: Need Spam Fix!

Post by techmanc »

I wanted to wait some time to get new email to see how the rule I made is working and it is flagging all the problem email I was getting for deletion and deletes the email when it re checks the mail which working fine for my needs.
So thanks for the help offered anyways and for the Pop Peeper program.