Bug: I think 4.1 is compacting every start

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
keithg1964

Bug: I think 4.1 is compacting every start

Post by keithg1964 »

Just installed 4.1 and it seems that it is compacting on every start. The storage tab is set to compact every 7 days.

I noticed it due to two things,
It seems to delay each start.
ON some accounts that there are not messages, the unread and totals are blank.

Keith
mjs

Re: Bug: I think 4.1 is compacting every start

Post by mjs »

keithg1964 wrote: ON some accounts that there are not messages, the unread and totals are blank.
Hi Keith,
In regards to the accounts with "blank totals"; what is the email provider that your using for these account(s) and what "Server-type" protocol do you have them set at (Edit Account(s) > "General" tab > "Server type")?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

By "every start" do you mean more than twice? One of the changes specified on the opening v4.1 notes is:
The first TWO times that this version starts may be slow for the purpose of database maintenance. After that, POP Peeper should load faster than before.
ON some accounts that there are not messages, the unread and totals are blank.
This is normal. Some fields will remain blank even if the value is '0' (e.g. "new"), others will report '0' only after the account has been checked. It's designed this way to make the more significant values easier to see.
keithg1964

Post by keithg1964 »

Two AOL and two Gmail Accounts

AOL accounts setup as IMAP.
Gmail accounts setup as one IMAP and one GMAIL. (don't know why just the way they are setup)

Once I check mail, the unread and totals get zeros in them.

And yes more than twice.

After reading the prior post, may not be an issue. I thought it might be happening since I did a compact next start and noticed the blank items. I assumed the compact and the blank items were related. If not sorry.

On the possible delay, hard to tell or measure it.

Keith
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Here's how to see when the last DB maintenance occurred:
1) make sure Advanced Options are enabled under main menu: Tools / Options / General (top-right)'
2) Right-click anywhere in the Accounts List (left side) and select "Server info"

In the window that pops up it will show the information, e.g.
Last DB Maint (global): 02/17/16 12:22:27 (19 days)

Load time is still mostly dependent on the number of messages stored in PP; this will be improved in a future version. This DB update really just makes the load time more in par with what v3 had; some people had started noticed very long load times with v4, but the DB update may not affect everyone in a significant amount. There are logs we can collect if you think load times are still longer than they should be.
keithg1964

Post by keithg1964 »

Thanks for the info. It is NOT compacting every time. Sorry for the false report.

Keith